Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize for the repost, but I will summarize the original. I am in the process of buying a used PT145, duotone black frame-stainless slide. I am having trouble identifying what generation it is. I have read so much but am still confused. It appears to have features of 1st and 2nd generation. The serial number only appears on a metal plate at rear of the gun (NUH *****). This indicates it was produced in July 2001. I could not find the SN on the slide anywhere. It has the TSS security system (2nd Gen?). There is only Millenium on it, not Pro (1st Gen). It has a textured grip (2nd Gen?). I am not sure what action the tirgger is. I have not shot it. When I dry fire it there ss a difference from my Glock 19. When I dry fire my Glock I have to rack the slide between every shot. With the PT 145 I only have to rack the slide once and it keeps firing without having to rerack the slide. I am somewhat inexperienced so I don't know if that makes a difference. I was thinking that possibly the frame was replaced on the original slide 9maybe due to crakcing). Is that possible? Based on this info can anybody help me identify the generation of the pistol? I can post photos once I acquire the gun. Can anybody post photos of both sides of multiple genreations to compare? When did 2nd begin production? When did upgrades to 1st gen begin? Also, if I provide Taurus with the SN can they identify it or give me a history on the gun? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you call Taurus they can tell you what Generation it is. My guess is 2001 is a 1st generation. But The slide should have the serial number on it. If not it has been replaced. My 145 has the serial number on the slide, barrel, and the frame.

·
Super Moderator
40,313 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Although I have a 2rd gen PT 145 SS I am not that much of an expert on them. The ability to fire again without racking the slide is the Taurus "second strike" capability. Again, no expert, but I'm thinking that if a frame cracked and the pistol returned, that they would replace it with a new pistol.

There are certainly others here who are well versed with the progression of design on the PT 145 and a lot of data in that particular section.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the #1 Taurus handgun forum!

As an active member here at TaurusArmed, I can attest to the fact that it’s great to have such a vast resource of Taurus information and personal experiences, literally, at the end of your fingertips.

Please read the forum guidelines in the new member's section and check out and the sticky topics at the beginning of each section for some very useful information.

Feel free to jump right in and share your shooting experiences and knowledge with us.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After speaking to Taurus and giving them the SN, they said it is a First Gen. The features that are said to not be available for First Gen (textured grip, TSS safety system) apparently do not apply to this model. Still confused, but I will take their word for it. Now I guess I have to be worried about frame cracking issues. Still excited, though.

·
Administrator
41,476 Posts
Good news is, if the frame does crack, Taurus will take care of it. It's still covered under the lifetime warranty!

Reactions: nippdog

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Sounds like you may have come across a transition model, more of a generation 1.5 than either gen 1 or 2. Either way, the Mil-Pro's are a durable and reliable firearm that I'm sure you'll have many happy days at the range with. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Welcome aboard and don't throw out the baby with the bath water with your (new to you PT145).

Just because others may have had problems doesn't mean your gun will too.

Give a chance, you'll find lots of PT145 fans here, including yours truly! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the exact same gun. Mine looks identical and according to my serial# NUH xxxxx it's a 2001 model. From what I understand the Millennium series started in 1998 but the first year for the PT145 was 2001. This may lead to the 1st model confusion. Maybe they changed a few things between 1998 and 2001. I have no serial number on my slide either. I've had mine since 2004 and have had no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.