Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Thank You from a new member, and a new shooter. I joined recently and have found nothing but cordial and helpful people no matter what the user's post count is. Thumbs up to everyone here!

Now for the fun stuff. Just picked up my new PT-111-G2 SS, and couldn't be happier. What a beauty! Took her home and gave her a good bath...are all Taurus pistols shipped in caramel? Smooth action, nice crisp trigger, and a nice tidy package for CC if I ever want or feel the need to. Right now I'm too new to the pistol scene to feel comfortable carrying. Give me a little time, along with a good training session and I'll get there.

Next up, a trip to the range tomorrow morning to put a few hundred rounds through her.

One question. I've noticed a small scuff mark on top of the barrel where it dips below the slide. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

Reactions: Felix and crudos

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Not a problem. Keep it lubed.

Also, I can't really tell, but if your finger is on the trigger in that last pic, it shouldn't be. ;)

Enjoy your G2, it's a great gun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, and I think my finger is along the front of the trigger guard but now I'll have to pick it back up and look! :???:

Since there's nothing specific in the manual, where should I be oiling? My M&P manual asks for just a drop on each slide rail, and a drop on the top of the barrel, nothing more. That's how I oiled after cleaning.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I think that is normal ware you are seeing, but if it gets to bad may want to call CS. I oil my guns liberally, almost to the point of being wet. However, some guns do not like a lot of oil, but as you know, when metal surfaces rub against each other friction is formed which will wear down the metal and oil will reduce that friction, just like in your car engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Holy $HIZZLE. Big props to Drewski for pointing out a BIG issue. Left handed trigger discipline. I come from a rifle shooting background, and I'm extremely right hand dominant. I've always thought I've practiced good trigger discipline, but when I took the picture earlier today I had the pistol in my LEFT hand. Empty gun, empty chamber, but FINGER ON THE TRIGGER! WTF?

Shows you're never too old to learn something new. Thank you for the lesson learned! :)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Just looked at my G2 and I have the same scuffing... Mine has been flawless through 500 rounds. I know you are going to have a great time with your G2. I use a small bit of grease on my rails and oil elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Congratulations on the new PT-111.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
The wear mark is normal.

The G2 is a "locked breach" semi-auto pistol.

The "ledge" at that juncture of the barrel/slide is where it "locks" the barrel to the slide until the pressure has dropped to a safe enough level to eject the spent case without a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome from Kansas! You made a great choice. Now go and enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Like Moondawg said, that scuff mark is a result of the friction point between the barrel and the slide rubbing against one another.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just back from the first trip to the range and.....wow. What a nice pistol. I didn't bring it along for comparison, but I think think I shot better with the G2 than I have with my M&P9! Smooooth trigger, easy sight profile, and it ate everything I fed it. 25 BlazerBrass, 25 Remington UMC, 25 Aguila, 100 BlazerAluminum and another 100 Herter's nylon wrapped. Not one hiccup, slow shooting or double taps.

First pic is the first 36 at 7 yards, second pic is the next 24 at 10 yards. I don't want to mess with the sights yet, but it looks like I'll have to make the "shoots left" adjustment everyone seems to have made.

Attachments

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Just back from the first trip to the range and.....wow. What a nice pistol. I didn't bring it along for comparison, but I think think I shot better with the G2 than I have with my M&P9! Smooooth trigger, easy sight profile, and it ate everything I fed it. 25 BlazerBrass, 25 Remington UMC, 25 Aguila, 100 BlazerAluminum and another 100 Herter's nylon wrapped. Not one hiccup, slow shooting or double taps.

First pic is the first 36 at 7 yards, second pic is the next 24 at 10 yards. I don't want to mess with the sights yet, but it looks like I'll have to make the "shoots left" adjustment everyone seems to have made.
Nice shooting indeed! Just a slight sight adjustment or a stance adjustment or finger placement on the trigger, either one can be causing this.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Must be my lucky weekend. Went to Gander Mountain this morning and found a 17rd 24/7 magazine in the bargain bin for $9.99! :)

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Pretty sure that's normal wear. My G2 has the same marks and its approaching 1000 mostly flawless (a few FTEs from one box of ammo) rounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts