Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with the idea of an AR pistol for a while now. I was specifically torn between a 5.56/223 platform and a 9mm platform. I finally decided last week that I would rather not neuter a 5.56 down with a shorter barrel, it seemed to make more sense to me to power up the 9mm by making it come through a longer barrel. Once again, I went to Palmetto State Armory and waited for a pretty good deal. I got the upper for $300, and the completed lower for $300. I could have gotten a fully built 5.56 pistol for $500, but it still made more sense to me to go this way. I just got everything yesterday, upper, lower, and the Sig red dot sight, it takes Glock mags so I had already ordered a 33 round mag from gunmagwarehouse-dot-com which came in yesterday as well. Today I took a trip to Scheels and got the foregrip and two range mags, P-Mag brand, so I'm ready for a range visit.

The first two pics are from yesterday, the last one is after I put the foregrip on today, the finished product.

Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Very nice! Standard AR lower? What device to modify for the 9mm Glock mag?

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! Standard AR lower? What device to modify for the 9mm Glock mag?
It's an AR lower but it was made to accept Glock mags. No adapter.

Wow.....man- that pistol has a long barrel. :oops:
10 inch barrel, I'm not sure if that includes the birdcage at the end but probably not.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very nice. I've also got a new PSA 9mm upper and lower. I went with their complete 4" upper and a dead air wolfman under a Nordic components rail.
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Wood Metal Machine Shadow Still life photography
I'm currently building an upper for a second ar-9 lower. This one is a ke arms ambi lower with their match slt-1 trigger I got new for a song and half a dance.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
I've got a stripped upper on the way and I've already got the leftover 6" handguard and flash can from the first one. Just need another barrel, bolt, and charging handle. Figured I like the quiet one so much I might as well make a loud one.
9mm subsonic are running at 200fpe. 9mm+p is running at 400fpe and that's not counting doubling or tripling the barrel length for even more energy so it's gonna be two totally different guns imo despite being the same design and caliber. These things are way too much fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow.....man- that pistol has a long barrel. :oops:
10" is perfect. After that you only gain at most 15fps per inch while increasing your chances for a stuck bullet. With 40 round mags that can get bad quick if one gets stuck. 7-8" would make more sense if you were trying to get performance out of a comp, otherwise 10" is an ideal set-up to get the most out of 9mm safely and without a ton of unnecessary weight. That's not to say a fixed 4" barrel won't be plenty powerful and very accurate but it will have muzzle flash and muzzle flash is money wasted that could have been more performance instead.

·
Administrator
18,829 Posts
Very very Nice!!! 🆒 Congratulations and may it serve you well! :)

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
Nice. Yeah, loud as the M4 is with its standard length barrel, I can imagine the .223 in a short barrel would be an ear splitter. :D No problem shooting on the range, but if you had to jump out of bed at night and grab it, might be a factor. I'd like to keep my hearing. :D Of course, I keep a 14" shotgun next to the bed. But, hopefully, I'll never need it. 🤣

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That right there is purely evil :LOL:
Thanks, that's what I was going for. :devilish: I just bought another Glock 33 round mag for it, I'm going to the range next week and I'll post up a range report after I do some mag dumps.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Nice new firearm!

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Range report....took the gun to the range today, I used two PMAG magazines and two Glock magazines. The PMAG mags utterly failed. The spring wouldn't push the rounds up reliably for feeding into the gun. I switched to the Glock mags and the gun was completely reliable. No feed issues, no other issues at all. This gun is too addictive....I performed I don't know how many mag dumps, 33 rounds per Glock mag, over and over, I had a boatload of fun. I may have to take on a second job so I can reload much more 9mm for this gun, I'll be shooting it a lot.

The Sig red dot scope sighted right in, and was perfect. Shot at 25 and 50 yards, and it worked perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Sounds like a great outing! Thanks

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I run Glock and SGM Tactical mags in my AR9, both run flawlessly. The Korean mags run,but don't drop free.
I think I'm going to stick to the Glock 33 round mags, they're very accessible either through gunmagwarehouse-dot-com or the local Scheels. May as well stick with the good stuff, I figure I need 3 mags for the house, 3 mags for the truck, and 2 or 3 for the range.

Reactions: bigC
1 - 17 of 17 Posts