Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So was in my local shop today and they had a Taurus pt101 with original styrofoam box and papers. As a matte finish on the frame, almost parkerized, never been fired and not a scratch on it literally. Paid $375 which is okay with me.. the gun is dry as a bone and I would like to find a lubricant that would be dry to the touch like eezox. What do you guys suggest for the first Lube this gun is had since it was made in January of 1992.. BTW its an AFD model..not the best pic View attachment 433721 2019-02-05 14.49.52.jpg 2019-02-05 14.57.13.jpg

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

·
8,902 Posts
Good choice. First I would clean it up and remove any caked lube. Then just normal lube - I use hoppes for intial cleaning then CLP for the final wipe down while cleaning , then on a metal gun - I use Remoil on barrel, slide channels, and any friction surface. Keep it simple on a PT101. Also remember light lube, it isn't like a 1911.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Militec-1 MILITEC-1® Firearms Lubricant
I clean and degrease. Heat metal parts with drop light/halogen /shop light... until its almost too hot to pick up by hand. Wet with militec-1 and repeat heat. Wet it again after hot. Buff when cool then lube and or grease like normal. Run 150-200 rounds. Clean, Degrease , heat with shop light, wet with militec-1. Buff when cool and lube with oil, grease or what even except magazines. Nothing but dry lube on or in mags and always buffed dry and clean.
Load test. Treat one magazine with militec and one as you other wise. Use your thumb to unload magazine stripping them off. You will be sold forever more on dry lube. Silicone is not "dry lube" so don't be fooled. Treating the metal with a binding chain.
This is because MILITEC-1 is in the metal not just on the surface, so the liquid component is unnecessary.
I put a drop or two in my grease pot. I use high temp stainless steel grease in my pots mostly.
Grease pot? Anyone use a grease pot? I make them up for fun. Its a Garand thing.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Congrats!! You got a good deal on a great gun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there anything that would dry to a flat finish..the gun is non glare now but unsure of dry lubes protection...there's no previous oil or grease.Must have evaporated long ago

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also if anyone here has Factory OEM magazines for the 100 / 101.. would like to buy. Looking for the ones with a flat base plate

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Also if anyone here has Factory OEM magazines for the 100 / 101.. would like to buy. Looking for the ones with a flat base plate
Please take this to Classifieds

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice find.

I brought this one home yesterday. It was wearing Uncle Mike rubbers like yours, but after a good cleaning I replaced them with the original wood set.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
You did alright as long as you're happy with it.

Mine is one firearm that really looks lousy after an oil rag wipe down. I like the flat treatment to the frame and slide, but oil makes the flat black all splotchy looking. I scrubbed the oil down with a terry cloth before I took the wooden grip pic. Still, for a 27 year old gun, it has held up to rust and lack of use fairly well. I hope it shoots well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is definitely not a lousy gun as far as finish, I've always loved the pt92 as it was my first Taurus. if you ever decide to sell it let me know

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Nice pistol you bought there OP! I would have paid 375 for it all day long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts