Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NativeTexan was kind enough to swap me some very nice orginal old wood grips for my orginal rubber grips. These grips are night and day on this gun! It looks a million times better and feels much better in my hand.

I was after the old school look like most police officers carried back in the 1970's and 1980's. Back in 1981 I did a reserve police acadamy in California and we all had to quailify with a .357 or .38 revolver, I had my S&W model 19 back then.

As you can see in the pic I also have an Auto-Ordnance Government Model 1911 .45 I bought new last year, I got this gun because it is designed to look exactly like the old WWII .45's right down to the "US Army" stamped on the slide and parkerized finish.

It will only shoot ball ammo as was the case with the orginal .45's of that era, no hollow points in this guy. My dad got one just like it when he left the Army, he always kept it loaded and under his pillow, he let me handle it and shoot it when I was a kid and I never touched it unless he was there. I have a 7 year old son but I keep mine locked up, it's a different world now...

Anyway I am rambling off topic, thanks again NativeTexan! I really love my Taurus now!!

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Those are really nice. I personally don't care for the checkered wood grips, but I may be in the minority because I see alot of them out there. I like the Hogue oversized wood grips, smooth, with finger grooves.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
texastaurusguy said:
Those are really nice. I personally don't care for the checkered wood grips, but I may be in the minority because I see alot of them out there. I like the Hogue oversized wood grips, smooth, with finger grooves.
The grips you describe are nice, but like I said, I was going for a classic look (at least in my mind). If I was unable to find the orginal grips I would have gone for the Hogue woods...

·
Super Moderator
35,585 Posts
Glad you like 'em! I got yours on my 4" replacing the Pachmayrs that were on it that I never really liked. My carry 3" has Hogues and they allow a better reach to the trigger for DA shooting while being more comfy, but the Taurus grips feel better than the Pachmayrs to my hand and cover the grip frame for a little more cushion from recoil. I'd thought the Taurus grips might be a little shorter, more concealable, than the Hogues, but such wasn't the case. I'm with Texastaurusguy on the woods and checkering. So, I'm glad they found a good home. :D They're made with some pretty grained wood and need to be used by SOMEbody. LOL

I had an AO 1911 and it would feed NOTHING, but FMJ ball, not even cast round nose. I don't like that because I cast my own. I got a used AMT Hardballer after that, a stainless 1911, and managed to get it to feed my 200 grain SWC after a hundred bucks worth of gunsmithing, but no hollowpoints. That gun got stolen and I got a Ruger P90, feeds anything and I carry it with Speer 200 grain JHPs that would NEVER feed in those 1911s. It's never jammed, ever. I don't do 1911s anymore. 1911s were designed for ball and that's what they feed. I can't afford to try one of those 3500 dollar semi custom Kimbers or something. My P90 set me back 300 bucks at the time. I doubt that Kimber would be any more accurate than my P90, anyway. That thing is near target grade accuracy. You'd have to tune a 1911 so tight it'd have to be cleaned every box to function to get it as accurate. That Ruger is an amazing gun.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NativeTexan said:
I had an AO 1911 and it would feed NOTHING, but FMJ ball, not even cast round nose. 1911s were designed for ball and that's what they feed.
Amen.... I get iritated with the guys that bash AO (or other 1911's) because they do not feed hollow points when it says right in the manual to use FMJ ball ammo ONLY. As you said, if you want to pay you can get a 1911 to feed hollowpoints but if you want it reliable go with FMJ ball...

They're made with some pretty grained wood and need to be used by SOMEbody. LOL
Yeah the pictures do not do them justice as my camera sucks. They look much nicer in real life.... (as you know)

·
Super Moderator
35,585 Posts
Well, I understand why folks get a 1911 and get miffed it won't feed anything else. You read the magazines and it's like the 1911 is the answer to all needs, the best handgun ever designed, yadda, yadda. Well, I drank the koolaid and found out it's a great old gun for military service with ball ammo. Guess what, that's what it was designed for! As long as you're willing to live with that restriction, great! I have no idea about all the high end stuff, what they'll feed or not. I could never afford to find out. ROFL! Since I cast my own bullets from range scrap, my guns need to feed 'em. I can load 100 rounds of .45 ACP for about 5 bucks. I also prefer to carry more effective ammunition than ball. So, for me, 1911s, as least affordable ones, ain't the deal. They should explain that in those magazine articles, LOL! I was okay with the Hardballer after I got it smithed. It fed my SWCs fine. I didn't carry it anyway, was before we even had a CCW law in Texas. I'm not a cocked and locked kinda guy and I rarely carry a gun that size, Ruger either, now days. It's hot in south Texas and I pocket carry. But, when the Hardballer got ripped off, I wanted another .45 and I've always liked Ruger firearms. Turned out to be a jewel. :D I like 191s, though, just the history if nothing else. One thing that's cool about 'em is that they're so simple to work on and there's parts everywhere cheap for 'em. Surplus magazines are cheap. I had a bunch of 'em after the Hardballer got ripped off, gave 'em to my son-in-law who has a 1911. I might get another one some day, but not for carry or other serious use, well, no more serious than range fun. The things are fun to shoot. I kinda like the PT1911, comes with a lot of bells and whistles that I'd want on one. It seems to have a good reputation, too. I mean, if something hapened to it, like I say, there are parts everywhere for 1911s. I'm not sure it's a direct 1911 design like the AO, though. Might be something in there different, not sure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, you may be able to tell from my posts, but both my handguns are "special" in some way (to meanyway) I wasn’t after a high performance shooter... with the 1911 it is about history, nostalgia and the fact that I grew up with one in the house as a kid, it's the same with the M65, I am reliving the past with this gun.

I have a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun for home defense and a little .22 rifle for my son to shoot. I don't carry so a super reliable gun is not a necessity.

I looked up the P90 and it looks like a sweet gun, if I were to carry I think the P90 would be sweet.

·
Super Moderator
35,585 Posts
Ha, got a mossy, too, M500 camo 28". It's my waterfowl gun. Been hunting ducks and geese with it for 20 years in the salt marshes around here and it's still going and even still looks decent. It's one tough shotgun. :D I have others, but the Mossy is my go to waterfowl gun and I hunt waterfowl more'n any other. It's sorta my passion.

I understand nostalgia. My uncle had a K22 target masterpiece when I was growing up, 6" nickel. I've wanted one of those ever since. That thing was sweet. He also had a little Browning .22 take down, ejects out the bottom, feeds through a tube magazine in the stock. They still make 'em in several grades and they ain't cheap, but I'm going to add one of those to my .22 collection some day. :D I've got 5 .22s, but you can't have too many. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone needs a Mossberg 12 gauge! :) Yeah, my next gun will be some sort of .22 handgun, mainly because the ammo is cheap.

I am not a hunter (mainly becasue I grew up in the city in CA, only been in KS for 13 years) and pretty clueless about it but I would like to try some bird hunting some day, I think here in Kansas they hunt geese mostly and turkey. I got a buddy I shoot with that turkey hunts mostly, with a bow though...

I sort of screwed up my Mossy, it was some kind of bird gun with I think a 24" barrel, I cut it down to about 19", did a nice job of it and it looks good, but not much use for hunting anymore and the choke is gone. But new barrels are cheap. I should have just bought a 18.5" home defense barrel for it but I didn't want to pop for the $85 and didn't figure I would ever go hunting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts