Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make another attempt of a HD weapon for my wife.

First I had my self customized 5" PT1911 .45 ACP for her, and it's a great shooter but a little to much gun for her. Next I went with a S&W 5906 9mm, which has no recoil at all, but it's been giving me some trouble and I'm starting to worry that no matter how reliable an auto is there might be an issue and my wife is not the kind to tap rack yet. We've spent a lot of time shooting and she is a great shot because she started as a blank sheet of paper and didn't have a bunch of self taught bad habits like me. haha.

I love wheelguns and have a few. I've done spring kits and stoned internals for trigger jobs on many revolvers. There is no failure drills except pulling the trigger again. Also my wife is very concerned with over penetration and hitting the neighbors, so here is my thought.

1. Get a Taurus 82 trade in. do a spring kit, hogue rubber, stone internals and use a laser lyte laser. Put on orange front sight paint and weld a little piece of steel horizontaly to the end of the hammer for her to feel safe about decocking and cocking (which will be limited anyways).
2. Load up a multi projectile .38 load. For example 3 wad-cutter disks in a .38 case. I've had good luck with these and they stay within a playing card at 10 yards.

There would be no failure drills, next to no recoil and no over-penetration issues. Basically six rounds of 410 buck. in a reliable package. And the laser would help her stay on target.

I have a Colt MK3 Official Police but the laser wont fit. I would like this laser grip combo because I think the hogue would do a better job with recoil then a crimson trace.

I'm just afraid that the 82 isn't the best base to go on.

Whats your 2 cents???

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Go with the revolver, stick to double action shooting, bob the hammer if you have to.

Revolvers have made great self defense tools for over a hundred years, and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

I carried one during the first 23 years of my 41 year LE career, stll do as a back up/off duty piece.

They are also my wife's favorite, and she's damn good with em...;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Don't know much about the model 82, but my 25 year old model 85 is as reliable as the day it was new. Hard to beat a revolver when the stress and adrenaline are high and something goes wrong with your weapon.

The load sounds interesting, but it is hard to beat a modern hollowpoint as a man stopper.

·
Super Moderator
35,579 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
My wife likes her bobbed SP-101 38 special.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The 327Mag are super discounted right now you could get a SS one for under $250 and start her on 32S&W longs and work up to the 327 mags or 32 H&R mag for HD.. just a thought ~~RR~~

·
Super Moderator
26,871 Posts
My two cents: Take here to a shooting range that has a lot of different guns for hire. Find one she is comfortable with. Let her shoot say 100 rounds with it. Check her accuracy. If all goes well buy it. If she cant get the job done with 100 rounds...stay home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rodfair ... I live in an area where there is no ranges with shops attached and the shops wont even let u feel the triggers anymore.

·
Super Moderator
26,871 Posts
Rodfair ... I live in an area where there is no ranges with shops attached and the shops wont even let u feel the triggers anymore.
Where on earth are you you?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The revolver idea is sound. Used 82's are plentiful and inexpensive right now. I wouldn't go crazy on a trigger job. let her shoot a few hundred rounds through it then decide what needa to be done. Extending the hammer dosen't sound like a good idea at all. It would be more trouble then it's worth.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Can't go wrong with the wheel gun.. My SW M12 air weight is always on duty in the house along with the Taurus 905. Favorite SW M66 with the 2 inch Barrell another great dance partner. In the field or truck the JUDGE PD is handy. Oh by the way be care full wheels guns can be addicting... Yes I have a few others. The wife is very comfortable and accurate with them.

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
First of all I think it's kind of cheap to ask all of us for 2 cents. I think you should buy your wife a gun using your own money. There's too much of this "occupy the gun shop" going around.
Besides. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 14,000 members, but not all of them are active. Assuming that 1/2 of them are at all active, that's 7,000. Even if all of them give you 2 cents, that only comes to $140.
That would mean you are buying her a Hi-Point 9mm.
If you decide to step up and be the man your wife thought she married, you could get her a Model 85 (can never go wrong with an 85). Or... even a judge. Now before you think .45 - too big, remember that you can get some pretty mild loads in .45 LC.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Wheel guns are best with a inexperienced shooter and a experienced shooter in a high adrenalin situation...less things can go wrong with a revolver...

For a home Defense handgun I'd lean toward a Judge..Public Defender... Polymer , steel , UL which ever.... recoil is actually seems less than a 85 with plus P ammo

Federal 410 Handgun Ammunition 000 Buck...I did not chose this because acquiring a target but because of its ability to stop a attack.... fast

Being shot with a 000 buck load is equal to getting shot with 4 380 's at one time ..4 wound channels ..with one shot...2nd shot makes 8 wound channels....VS two wound channels...with a 38

Being a Xray Tech for 30 years and a Level 1 trauma nurse for 8 years (now behind a desk).. I know the human anatomy ,I can not only imagine how a human body would respond to such a trauma .. I know.. Total system failure with two hits to the torso ..heart lungs , liver, spleen ..all jeopardized with just two hits.. at 7 ft the 000 Buck shot will totally penetrate a large male making a 2 to 3 inch hole straight through them..

And you can practice with cheap 410 ammo...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wheel guns are best with a inexperienced shooter and a experienced shooter in a high adrenalin situation...less things can go wrong with a revolver...

For a home Defense handgun I'd lean toward a Judge..Public Defender... Polymer , steel , UL which ever.... recoil is actually seems less than a 85 with plus P ammo

Federal 410 Handgun Ammunition 000 Buck...I did not chose this because acquiring a target but because of its ability to stop a attack.... fast

Being shot with a 000 buck load is equal to getting shot with 4 380 's at one time ..4 wound channels ..with one shot...2nd shot makes 8 wound channels....VS two wound channels...with a 38

Being a Xray Tech for 30 years and a Level 1 trauma nurse for 8 years (now behind a desk).. I know the human anatomy ,I can not only imagine how a human body would respond to such a trauma .. I know.. Total system failure with two hits to the torso ..heart lungs , liver, spleen ..all jeopardized with just two hits.. at 7 ft the 000 Buck shot will totally penetrate a large male making a 2 to 3 inch hole straight through them..

And you can practice with cheap 410 ammo...
Does anyone have any particular experience with the judges? Please go into detail this whole Idea of mine only arose because of the judge but I was quickly turned off by the fact that all of my searching showed bad ballistics and penetration and unnecessarily stiff recoil. Someone told me it's like shooting a .357 from my snubby and the wife definately doesn't like that.

Jr612 -
I will open a new thread soon and go into full detail on these loads I want to spend some more time researching and shooting them. I ll probably be able to take some pictures and shoot into some ballistics gel.

·
32,481 Posts
Let's try this form another angle. It's her purchase so she needs to know something about shooting and firearms before SHE can decide what's best for her and her needs.

NRA and NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation have basic classes that she should take prior to selecting anything for any reason. There are women only classes given by both groups locally several time a year. She'll be immersered into the shooting culture,to firearms, and firearm safety in a relaxed atmosphere. Then she will have a good basic knowledge as to what gun/caliber combo will work for here. It would be worth the trouble of going somewhere, even 25-30 miles, from where you live to get her to one of these classes. Local gun stores should have access to these classes or should be able to point her to who does have the classes. If not there has to be local gun clubs or gun ranges that do! Take a look at the two links for the NRA and National Shooting Sports Foundation. They can get her to local or near local classes.

Have here also look at these and read all the way through them. These are helpful links for women. You need to go through them with her or when you can go through them alone.

Cornered Cat www.babeswithbullets.com www.womenandguns.com

The revolver idea has merit. Yes, the Taurus 82 is a good idea. So is a Taurus 65 or 66. There is also the Rossi 851 in .38 Special.
Here's the story on the Rossi 851. Anything said in it is still valid.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/31141-rossi-851-bob-milek-july-1-1985-a.html
The 851 has adjustable sights. That's a plus.

Mild .38 Special rounds has merit as well.

There are 110gr.-125gr. standard pressure rounds if recoil, muzzle flip, and flinching are considerations for her.

Federal makes the 125gr Nyclad standard pressure round. It makes a nifty practice and real world documented defense round.

Georgia Arms. Bitteroot Valley Ammunition & Components - © 2011 Ventura Munitions | Online Ammunition Sales | Cheapest Ammo Online | Hunting Ammo and Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com can help in finding standard pressure bulk buy rounds for what ever caliber she decides she can handle.

If you can introduce here to the .32 calibers. In revolver there is the .32 H&R magnum and the .32 S&W Long.

The first cartridge is mild,can be used for training, for fun, and for defense. Even out of snub revolvers this is a low recoil, mild noise, and user friendly cartridge. Revolvers abound in this caliber. Taurus has two snub revolvers currently capable of shooting these. I own a Taurus 327 in .327 Federal. It can do what the Ruger mentioned below can.

Taurus also has the a model 731 that is till available in limited quantities on line and maybe from the local gun store. These can also be a used item and found online at internet gun auction sites.

Ruger has the 3 inch barreled SP-101. This can be either a considered as a primary or snub revolver. Yes, it's in .327 Federal magnum, but the .32 H&R and ,32 S&W Longs can be shot from the Ruger. The extra inch of barrel give a better sighting plain, a bit more velocity, and keeps the barrel down more for better recovery shot to shot.

The .32 S&W Long is a great beginner round and one for a fun gun as well. It's a bit less powerful than the .32 H&R magnum.

In .32 ACP the CZ 83 and the PT132 Mil Pro are available. For how long is a mystery and may be for only a very short period. These are available at online gun stores and gun auctions. These have longer barrels than the mini-guns. Hold more rounds than the mini guns, but are more user friendly. So is the cartridge, These are more like a medium framed or slighty smaller gun.

Granted, it is no powerhouse, bur in recent decades premium ammo with bonded and improved bullet design have brought the cartridge up off it's knees.

There's a lot to go through here,it is true. This is about saving her life which is precious. It's worth while to do all the research and take the pains to make sure she can handle things.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I have a 20 year old M85 Taurus .38 Special, that's never failed to go "bang".

Last year, I gave it to my 87-year-old father who wanted a dependable carry revolver.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I know where you are coming from. My wife has never even handled a gun, yet she is wanting me to get her a gun and start trainging her on usage. I am going to take her a 24/7 9mm 4"barrel, my TCP, and my Judge. The 24/7 has been absolutely been reliable for around 700 rounds and the recoil is very manageable. The TCP fits her hands well but I will start her out with some light loads until she get comfortable with a higher velocity SD round. She likes the weight of the Judge and tells me she likes the way it feels too. I am going to get some cowboy loads for practice for it until she gets used to the recoil of SD rounds. It is only going to be used for home so carrying isnt a problem. I thought about going out and getting her an 85 but actually see no sense in it if I have something that she is comfortable using. With the multitude of ammo available, you could get her almost anything and make it a viable weapon that she could tolerate.

·
32,481 Posts
This gal might surprise everyone after a class or two and go for the big boomers.

We've got 5' or shorter gals around here who shoot .45ACP 1911s with aplomb. Some started out with the .22lrf guns and worked their way up. Others just went for the gusto right out of the gate.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
"Does anyone have any particular experience with the judges? Please go into detail this whole Idea of mine only arose because of the judge but I was quickly turned off by the fact that all of my searching showed bad ballistics and penetration and unnecessarily stiff recoil. Someone told me it's like shooting a .357 from my snubby and the wife definately doesn't like that.

Jr612 -
I will open a new thread soon and go into full detail on these loads I want to spend some more time researching and shooting them. I ll probably be able to take some pictures and shoot into some ballistics gel." Quote from 357'er

Federal 2.5 inch 000 Buck will penetrate over 18in. in bare gel...I saw test where the load from a PD went through 1 layers of denim ,4 layers of cotton shirt material. and the traveled all the way through 3 jugs of water and put dents in the back of the 4th jug...the 45 Colt Hornady 185gr SD round only penetrated two jugs and came to rest in third jug. thats travlin through 5 layers of fabric ,7 layers of plastic and 24ins of water

i find the recoil of the Judge PD UL at 20 oz surprisingly comfortable...not as bad as a UL J frame shooting 38 +P

The Federal 410 Handgun ammo 000 Buck load is a keeper...

I never considered the Judge as a SD firearm until I saw the effectiveness of the Federal Load..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts