Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 85ul Monday. Put 70 rounds through it, seems to shoot about 3 inches to the left at 10 feet, but it could just be me. I found it does have some recoil, I now have a open blister on the inside of my thumb. Great revolver, but not one to shoot all day. Does anyone know of more comfortable grips to replace the original rubber ones?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I have the Hogue soft rubber "Monogrips" on my 2 1/2 inch Dan Wesson. They are a heck of a lot more comfortable to shoot with than the wooden target grips that came with the gun.
Some people say that the soft rubber is sticky, but I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think I get more positive control.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Another option is the Pachmayr Compac grip. It helps quite a bit and since there's rubber over the backstrap you don't get the snap you can otherwise.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,151 Posts
I like my rubber boot grips, myself, but the Compacs are comfortable AND concealable and the Hogues are extremely comfy, but lack some of the concealability I like the boot grips for. Either the Pachmayr or Hogue will be much more comfortable to shoot with +P stuff, for sure. Both allow you to get your full hand on the grip which is the problem with the boot grips.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I picked up an 85-UL a few years ago. Kept it until my wife tried it. Now it is her carry gun. I sneak it out and shoot it once in a while, but she won't give it up for me to carry it.

The grips are a bit small for my large hands, and it does have a bit of felt recoil with any kind of decent ammo load. But, it is a small, concealable gun.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is a great little gun, perfect for carry. Glad I found it, and won't give it up for anything. Of course I'm not married, so I can make that statement. :)
I'm picking up a PT111 M Pro next week, Taurus makes a quality product.

And, Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
35,151 Posts
BTW, you may be pulling your shots left, very common. Work on trigger control. Mine shot left out of the box, not as bad, but more than I wanted. I also wanted a black sight (mine's a stainless UL) and I wanted an elevation wire installed in the sight. I had a smith dove tail a black front sight for me. Now, it's windage adjustable and shoots spot on as well as the elevation wire helps me shoot super light loads and heavy loads at longer ranges for plinking fun. I use this thing to whack a 15" gong off hand (okay, laying down shooting creedmore) more often than not at 100 yards. It's great fun at the range and just shows you what a good snubby is capable of. No, I don't expect a fire fight at 100 yards, but hey, it's fun. I don't always shoot serious training. More often than not, I'm just plinking. This mod was only about 80 bucks or so and personalized the gun for me. I knew I liked it when I got it and wanted to give it a little personal attention.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Get some A-Zoom snap caps, put a dime on top of the topstrap and dryfire away. If you can get about 7 trigger pulls without dropping the dime, you're getting somewhere. I had some probems with the boot grips myself, so I took an exacto knife and shaved away some of the corner of the grip that was rubbing away the skin. It sort of rounded the area out. Also try shooting with your thumb curved down.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said above, I'm picking up a PT111 next week. Does anyone own both the 85ul and the PT111, and can tell me how the felt recoil compares between the two?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
35,151 Posts
The PT111 will be a little stiff with +P, probably compare pretty much with .38 +P out of the UL. I'm basing this on my Kel Tec P11 which is lighter than a PT111. The P11 rocks you pretty well with +P and you can tell a gun is light when it kicks harder as the magazine goes dry, LOL! With WWB, I can put a couple hundred rounds through it no problem in a sesson. The PT111 is a heavier gun and will tame the recoil even more than the P11 KT. I don't think you'll find it objectionable, but then, I don't find the 85UL objectionable. LOL

Have you tried shooting wadcutters in the UL. They're quite accurate in my gun and very mild to practice with. I don't like to stress these guns with too much +P anyway. The majority of my shooting is with milder loads.

·
32,585 Posts
Native Texan hit the nail on the head.
Do own a 85CH( I know it's not the UL model) and a PT111.

Recoil is going to be stiff with either gun, but manageable with training and use of the right techniques. Problem is that this being somewhat subjective, it depends on a individuals ability to handle the snap when the gun comes up.

It's recommended that a crush grip, tight enough, but no enough pressure cut off the blood to the hand be used when shooting snappy handguns. Thumbs down as has been stated elsewhere.

Some shooters put the pinky finger under the grip. This helps them have better control over the gun when firing and after firing as the gun comes up in recoil.

Stances are important, too.There are to main stances and variations thereoff of. Weaver and Isosceles.
Modified Isosceles or the standard version are better for heavy recoiling guns than the Weaver and it's variations.

The Weaver stance has it's good points,too,so don't give it short shrift.Different scenarios need different stances where defense shooting comes into play.

One spreads the feet shoulder width apart. Both arms are brought out straight from the body evenly, in holding the gun. This creates the "triangle" and makes for a steady hold. Sometimes a slight crouch ,leaning forward , can be utilized as well. This helps with directing and controlling the forces better.

So there are ways to deal with this.

All that aside, there are good reasons for using standard pressure loads for self defense.

Quicker shot to shot recovery times,less wear and tear on gun and owner, less muzzle blast,as well as passing the point of diminishing returns, are reasons to go with the standard pressure loads.

The gain in velocity is not as much as one would believe with +P ammo is short barreled guns. Efficiency is degraded with most of the energy being wasted outside the shorty barrel.

In 9mm. the 115-124gr. regular pressure rounds will suffice and give a decent level of protection. Federal's 9BP 115 gr.JHP and Winchester's Silvertip set the standard long ago and are still excellent choices today. Just because it is old doesn't mean something is not valid.

Newer generations of JHPs are designed to open at sedate speeds. Some as low as 680 feet per second.

In .38 Special ,110gr JHPs or Buffalo Bore's 158 gr.LSWCHP regular pressure will get the job done.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=832.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2349.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2540.0

These links just underscore what's been said. :)

+P ammo has it's place and can be used well in shorty barreled guns. There are some handicaps to be considered and confronted.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Taurus manual says don't use +p or anything stronger than [email protected]
I shot some 124gn Georgia arms [email protected], and found it to have significantly more recoil than the 115gn WWB. FMJ. I would stick to a zippy 115gn or an anemic 124gn. I agree with the poster that said don't push these things too hard. Recoil wise, It should be a lot less than your 85UL. Especially if you're pushing 38+p in it. In fact, the 111 is a very comfortable shooting gun IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts