Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I felt that after all the questions I asked on the forum & all the great answers I received, I should share what .22 I purchased.

After looking at several .22lr handguns and reading reviews about them. It came down between Ruger and Browning.

What eventually stopped me from purchasing a Ruger mkIII was the trouble it took putting the gun back together after cleaning it.

So deciding on Browning, I looked at the Buck Marks and wow there are several choices on the site and locally I had about 9 choices on what Buck Mark to get. The price dismissed 3(over $350), the grips dismissed another 3(wanted the URX), so there was 3 left to choose from. The Academy had the cheaper of the 2 almost identical buckmarks plus a stainless steel barrel not seen before. So Academy had a stainless buckmark with URX grips or a Nickel plated buckmark with better sights.

The SS Buckmark Camper felt better with the URX and the Steel balanced the pistol better.
The Nickel Buckmark Target felt ok but had standard grips and the barrel felt heavy(unbalanced) & was $20 more.
...So guess which one I picked, of course the one that handed better, was more balanced, stainless steel, & cheaper.

Below are pictures:
The first is of the Buck Mark Camper SS .22lr, the second and third is my g/f's first and second targets @ 10 yards and the fourth is my only target shooting the buckmark @15 yards or so.

(The field report is this: I bought the Remington hollow-point 22lr bulk 525 count package for $15.
there was 4 fail to feed in the first 80 rounds, they would not feed a second time either. After the first 80 rounds there were no problems at all, we shot about 425 rounds)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I would also like to mention that the trigger on the Buck Mark is AWESOME!

I did not keep the targets of our speed-shooting an entire clip in 4 seconds or my 25 yards shooting target. This .22 gun I would recommend to anyone alive; girl, boy, man, woman, amateur or professional. It shoots accurate, any stray shots was due to the shooters and not the gun.

Academy Sports and Outdoors has these beauts for $279.99, I tried to find what I wanted at the local gun stores but they where either $60 more or were sold out. I did however purchase an extra magazine for $27 from the gun shop at the indoor range I visit.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You can't go wrong buying a Buckmark...<:))

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, the Buckmarks are fantastic little pistols and since they're chambered for .22LR, you can shoot one all day and not break your piggy bank. ;D

·
Administrator
40,397 Posts
I'm partial to all my firearms, but when it comes to just downright fun, my .22lr pistol beats 'em all. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Now I like a good loud bang as much as the next guy, but I still shoot a .22lr pistol more than anything I have, a Walther P22. Great fun and good practice for less $$$.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Congrats on your Buckmark. I too bought mine 20 years ago over the Ruger because it felt better for my hands than the Ruger - which are also great guns. It still shoots as good as the day I got it or better after 100,000 (+) rounds. A lot of rabbits and squirrels have been brought to my table with this gun. Many a tin can has perished in it's sights along with various critters over the years. I was on vacation this week and put two 500 round bulk packs of Winchester experts thru it. It really likes those shells, the best are Winchester Power Points followed by Winchester and CCI 36 Gr. HP's. I avoid them dirty Remies.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Between a Ruger .22 and a Browning .22, out of the box, the Browning is the better of the two. My three Rugers needed new triggers to feel right, and new extractors to function right. My friend's Buckmark felt pretty nice, and broke down pretty easily (although you have to use a hex-key to break it down; with two of my Rugers, all I really need is a paperclip to get the MSH out, and then the rest of it just comes apart).

·
Registered
27 Posts
And I've never found a line of Remington .22 ammo that I liked. Even the "target" stuff had failures to light, occasionally, and none of my .22s (even my revolvers) like them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts