Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new .45 acp 1911 Saturday, i could not take it home because dumb ass me let my drivers license expire. We took the gun out of its plastic bag and wiped some of the oil off so that i could handle and take a look at it. I noticed there were ware marks on the slide edge next to the barrel bushing. Has anyone encountered this with a new gun :(

·
Registered
477 Posts
Like holster wear? Is it a Taurus? Was it special ordered or kept in stock? If something that your dealer keeps in stock won't he just give you another one without the wear? If it is a Taurus I think the finish may have a 1 year warranty but im not sure.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, yes it is a Taurus and it does look like holster wear. The dealer does not have another, i will call Taurus and find out about their warranty.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
One year warranty on the finish, function parts are covered under the lifetime warranty. If you're wiping away the grease to see how it looks, there's a good chance it could just be a mark of dried preservative that wouldn't just rub off. I know when I bought my 92, I could have fried a 12 piece bucket in all the grease it was caked in. The magazines had preservative dried so hard that I had to soak them in Hoppe's just to loosen the base plates and clean them out.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Could be dryed packing grease when get home spray with cleaner i took slide off sprayed down with clp 5 bucks from walmart let soak for 30 minutes the wippped all off and oiled been shooting since go on line fill out warrantyif it is scratches send taurus email just took pistol out of box new is scratched it is under warranty

jhp

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yep, probably just grease that is caked, mine had enough to lube the car after i cleaned it off. Took several hours to get it all clean, finally took it to a buddy who loves 1911's and can take them fully apart, he found more inside it, down in the inter workings.

After watching that process, i DO NOT recommend anyone that has no experience with a compleat 1911 takedown trying it, and am extremely glad that i handed it off instead of trying it myself, i "might" have been able to get it back together thanks to the internet and youtube, but it would have taken me a long time, this thing has lots and lots of small parts that have to be refitted "just so" for it to work right.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, i did watch a few youtube videos and the removal of the firing pin look a little tricky. I will let everyone know what i find, i am very excited on getting my first 1911

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Sure looks nice! My PT1911 is my favorite gun to shoot. When you cleaned it up, I hope you field stripped it and cleaned/lubed it up. Taurus puts a packing substance in the guns built in Brazil and it needs to be cleaned out before shooting the weapon or it will mix with the powder residue and harden making it difficult to remove after the fact. Let us know how she does on the range!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick question, the OEM Magazine was very hard to load and squeaked louder than my old truck. I have read that these magazines are not very good and are prone to jam and mis-feed. What aftermarket magazines can i use in this gun ?

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Quick question, the OEM Magazine was very hard to load and squeaked louder than my old truck. I have read that these magazines are not very good and are prone to jam and mis-feed. What aftermarket magazines can i use in this gun ?

You will get a lot of opinions and suggestions on this question , heres mine!
First did you disassemble the magazine and clean it?
check for any burrs in the metal tube, and check for any flashing on the follower, remove and smooth if you find such, do not lubricate the magazine unless you use a dry lubricant as wet lubricants will simply trap powder residue, brass filings, dirt , grime!
Now all that said I have i would guess about 35-40 1911 magazines, they interchange in all of my 14-15 1911's and work flawlessly, this includes the Taurus magazines. actually my Colt, Springfields, paras run just fine on them with no problems.
others may have different results , they work for me.
But if you just want or think that you need new mags then there are a bunch of after market mags available.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
also check trigger bow to make sure mag. is not binding on bow. i like the act mags. taurus uses they work in all of my 1911's, in fact i prefer the act mags. over a lot of the popular brands on the market.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, i went to ACT's web site but could not find pricing. What do they usually run ? What about Chip McCormick mags ?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Grats on the PT1911! I think you will find you made a great choice!

As for mags, the only one that's regularly given me problems is a Chip McCormick Shooting Star. It works great with Ball ammo, hates
feeding hollow points. On the other hand, a friend runs them in his PT1911 and has never had an issue. One of the most reliable magazines
I own is a generic, no name magazine I picked up for $10.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
I have a few act mags, I think they might have came with the Rock islands??
don't remember!
I quite often order Metal Form magazines IF I need an odd ball mag (defender/officers size, or strange caliber -38 super /10MM) and they have always worked fine for me.
metal form makes or did make Colt 1911 mags for them.
again i just dion't have a lot of magazine issues with my 1911's.
generally CDNN will have a boat load of 1911 magazines in many brand names and materials, as well as manufactures name magazines
(which are normally actually made by someone else!)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I main reason for asking about magazines is that this gun only came with one magazine. All places that sell OEM Taurus 1911 magazines want $39 and as i can see there are many to be had of good quality for around $25.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts