Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:'(

New Gun, took it out shooting for the first time and it worked fine. Darn straight shooter too. When I went to clean it, I had some trouble getting it back together and noticed that one of the grip screws had worked its way out. After trying to tighten that down, the manual safety leve dropped out in to my hand. Only the lever on the left side fell out, the ambidextrous piece on the right side looks to be still intact. I am not a gunsmith and this being my first 1911, I plan on taking it into the store to have them take a look at it. I won't be using this to bad mouth Taurus as this is a great gun and slowly working on being my favorite. Has anyone else seen this happen and is it pretty straight forward to try to fix this myself if I decide to give it a try. It doesn't look like anything is broken.

-Brian

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Checkl the stickies out in this section. If you are comfortable with a field strip (which you should be), you can remove the grips and place the safety back in.

Is there any way you can get some pics of the part that fell out. I'm assuming the safety block didn't break off and is still stuck in the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bringing my camera home from work today so I will be able to get some pics up. Also bringing my toolkit home from work today.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i would love to see pics to i have same problem and i am dumfounded.....

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
i agree if you can put it back on that would be great.but if it keeps falling off i would think there is a problem somewhere

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to do the pics, but this was easy to get back on except for trying to keep the spring compressed to put it on. If it works itself off again i am going to take it back. I have noticed since i put it back on that the feel of it is a lot nicer, leading me to think it may have been loose from the start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father had this same problem. Cimmarron posted a very informative response to my query with some solutions, which include changing the ambi-safety safety out for a left or right side safety. I've sent my dad's gun back to Taurus. They've had it for two weeks and haven't touched it yet. You'll find some very negative press about Taurus customer service. Who knows when I'll get my dad's gun back. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is exactly the type of thread i was looking for. I went out shooting today and the left side of my safety fell out as well. I had to hunt a bit to find it.

Originally i had the right side come out and pushed it back in. I was not able to the same with this side, however when i was cleaning the gun I had pushed the slide back and was able to drop it in to where it stays...the only problem is that w/ the safety engaged i can pull the trigger and it simply drops out of the way and fires.

I am wondering if this is a common issue or a defect that warrants sending the gun in for repair.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
It sounds like you need a new safety. Let me fine the post and I will link you to it. I had that problem with mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
brianinmd said:
forgot to do the pics, but this was easy to get back on except for trying to keep the spring compressed to put it on. If it works itself off again i am going to take it back. I have noticed since i put it back on that the feel of it is a lot nicer, leading me to think it may have been loose from the start.
at first i couldnt figure out what spring you were talking about but then realized that i am also missing the slide plunger, plunger spring and safety-lock plunger. Did you manage to keep your in place? Any idea if they are standard and i could pick up parts on my own?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
They are standard, however you will need to order them from someplace like Midway... not common items. I always keep an extra spring and the plunger which butts against the safety in a pill bottle in case they go "zing" with taking the safety out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:)

Well, I put a few boxes through her today and the safety works as it should. I tried to shoot a few with the safety on to no avail (a good thing). Will keep you all informed as to how this goes.

FYI. It still shoots as good as it did the first time except for I didn't have the few fliers that I had the first tiem.

-Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts