Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though I've had her for a little while now, today was the first day I'd been able to get to the ranger with her.

The range experience was good. It's a smaller range on the Richmond VA southside. Range fee is regularly $8, but veterans, active duty servicemen, and LEO's only pay $5. However, all ammo shot must be bought from the range. You can't bring your own to shoot. The price for 50 reloads was $19.85 for .38 special, and $24.92 for .45ACP.

I posted about the .45 over on the Mill Pro board.

The revolver went through 50 rounds without a hiccup. There were no misfires due to bad primers, or any other reasons. One advantage of a revolver over a semi is policing the brass. All the revolver brass ended up on the ledge where I was shooting. The brass for the .45 went all over the place.

I will include some pictures. One is of the target. I quickly found out when shooting 50 rounds, I need several more targets. I shot the target 50 times, and counted 49 hits. May have missed once, or one shot was concealed with another.

I only shot at 7 yds for 2 reasons. 1) I'm new to shooting revolvers and pistols for that matter. I wanted to have a modicum of success the first time out. 2) I figure all of my encounters with BG's will be 21 feet or closer.

One picture is of 3 different rounds I have now. The one on the left is a Remington Golden Saber 38 Special (+P), 1285 GR, Brass Jacketed Hollow Pt. The one in the center is a WWB, 130 gr FMJ, and the one on the right is a Blazer.38 special, 158/ GR, LRN in an aluminum case.

One pic shows a nice feature of the M856. it's just like the M85, except it has one more round in the cylinder.

The other pictures are just images of the the revolver. One has shot of the speed loader I have. The speed loader is for a Colt Detective which has 6 rounds in the cylinder.

Pictures:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Nice! I want an 85 really bad, but I guess furniture was a more important thing than buying a revolver... :(

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
FOR SHAME!!!

Oh wait, good job!!!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
That's a great looking firearm. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Atlee
That's a nice looking gun & one more round is always nice.
How much bigger is the 856 than the 85? Is it still small enough to fit in the front pocket of a pair of Wranglers??
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the same size except for the cylinder. I've never seen the cylinder size for the 856. It doesn't seem that much larger.

Not sure about a pair of jeans, but certainly it would fit well in cargo pants.

Atlee
That's a nice looking gun & one more round is always nice.
How much bigger is the 856 than the 85? Is it still small enough to fit in the front pocket of a pair of Wranglers??
Thanks for sharing.

·
32,759 Posts
The difference in size is apparent when trying to find a holster for the 856.
Theis, a sponsor here, has a holster for the Rossi 462, 6 shot, snub revolver. That 462 holster also fits the 856.

The Theis is a great holster and works and wears well.

I own two 856s, one a Hy-lite model, and a 462.

·
32,759 Posts
Two other things.

Congrats on the 856 to you Atlee and on pretty darn good shooting there.

The 856 is now a used item gun only unless one finds a brand new 856 that has been hanging round a LGS unloved.:'(

I thought that Taurus would sell them like hotcakes due to the 6th shot and small size of the snub revolver as Colt does not make the Detective Special or any variants of any kind.

Only Rossi with it's 461/462 series in .357 magnum have 6 shot snub revolvers. Both of the below links are for the stainless steel 856 and the Hylite model. There was a blued version of the 856 as well.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also don't understand why the 856 didn't sell much better. Until recently, I hadn't keep up with the revolver world, so was still under the illusion that all revolver had 6 shots. Little did I know almost all had dropped down to 5 shots, excepting 22's of course.

I'm always of the opinion that more is better, when it comes to round in a gun.

Even with my 6 shot revolver, I noticed a lot of difference last Saturday when I was shooting both the 6 shot M856 and the 10 round magazine PT145.

The difference in size is apparent when trying to find a holster for the 856.
Theis, a sponsor here, has a holster for the Rossi 462, 6 shot, snub revolver. That 462 holster also fits the 856.

The Theis is a great holster and works and wears well.

I own two 856s, one a Hy-lite model, and a 462.

·
32,759 Posts
It seems according to the gun writer/instructor credentialed documentation over the years it seems that a majority of snub revolver carriers want the 5 shot versions because those are easier to hide and carry. Add to that the plethora of ultra light models put out by Taurus, S&W, Charter Arms, and others, the buying public went that direction for the most part.

I do see the advantage to the lighter guns, but I like the steel or standard heavier snubs that sit there in the hand steadily, soak up some of the recoil more so than the lighter models, and shooting for practice, fun, or for proficiency are advantages.

Personally I can shoot and use the "standard weight" snub revolvers better and fine them more user friendly than other types.

To those of you who carry the UL models, no problem. No one snub revolver type only fits all people or their needs and wants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an 856 in March, and was pretty disappointed in the overall quality. Had to send it back because it would not advance the cylinder. Turns out the yoke was out of alignment. After a 3-week vacation in Miami, mine came back in full working order.

I took it out and put 75 rounds of dirty Ultramax 158gr LSWC through it and it worked flawlessly. Shooting at water jugs and assorted produce items I found operating the revolver in single action to be VERY accurate. Although the double action pull is pretty stiff, I can hold a decent enough group to empty an entire cylinder into a grapefruit at 30 feet.

I'm having some trouble finding an adequate IWB holster for mine... Any suggestions???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought an 856 in March, and was pretty disappointed in the overall quality. Had to send it back because it would not advance the cylinder. Turns out the yoke was out of alignment. After a 3-week vacation in Miami, mine came back in full working order.

I took it out and put 75 rounds of dirty Ultramax 158gr LSWC through it and it worked flawlessly. Shooting at water jugs and assorted produce items I found operating the revolver in single action to be VERY accurate. Although the double action pull is pretty stiff, I can hold a decent enough group to empty an entire cylinder into a grapefruit at 30 feet.

I'm having some trouble finding an adequate IWB holster for mine... Any suggestions???
For a holster I suggest Simply Rugged. I've got one & it's one of my most used holsters.

Simply Rugged Holsters ? Holsters, Gun Belts, Ammo Pouches and Accessories

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no suggestions concerning an holster, let alone an IWB.

I've given some thought to an ankle holster for the 856.

·
32,759 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts