Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My effective break in gun ritual for the 709 and 738

couple months ago I picked up a 709 slim and a tcp at about the same time. I read some things about how folks have had issues with them out of the box ect, and how a couple hundred rounds will get them broke in ect, before they are reliable.

I needed these guns to be reliable when i strapped them on not in a month when i got 300 rounds through them.

Heres my easy free break in ritual.

get it nice and cleaned

1. I load the mags up and let them sit for 3 days minimum to compress that spring, I'll take the rounds out, put them back several time and them let stay full.

2. I oil it and I rack the slide with the magazine out 600 hundred times, just back and forth over and over, i don't let it slam shut just keep racking it over the course of three days.

3. I let the gun sit with the slide locked open when I'm not racking it to keep the spring compressed.

4. I snap cap fire it hundred times or so, after the 3 days it really felt like it had been broke in, and they both are as smooth shooting as ever.

5. polish the feed ramp, I put a gun bore cleaning tip into my cordless drill, the soft furry kind, not the hard bristles, put some gun cleaning oil on it and and just on low speed ran it on the feed ramp, polished er up nice and shiney, took about 2 minutes tops. you'll now when its enough as the feed ramp will shine up nice. do it every couple hundred rounds once it gets dirty, that way it stays nice and smooth

I clean it again and take it to the range.

last 3 months I've put 500 rounds through both...and not 1 ftf or fte they been perfect.

maybe I got lucky with good guns but i think the break in i did prior to shooting helped alot.

I do all this before firing it one time

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My kinda thinkin'. I did that with one gun and I could feel it get better and better every day. I keep a snap-cap in whichever I'm practicin' with this week. Them TV bad guys get it every night.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It would take some patience, but it sounds like you might have found an effective break in method.......

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
My kinda thinkin'. I did that with one gun and I could feel it get better and better every day. I keep a snap-cap in whichever I'm practicin' with this week. Them TV bad guys get it every night.
~ "Them TV bad guys get it every night" ~

Stop "watchin" them MSM`s......;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like how you think! I do some of this (not to the same extent) and feel it helps.
Do you feel the mags get any smoother?
Thanks for a good post

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, for the mags I leave them loaded for those three or four days and during that time I click the bullets out and load er up several times let them sit loaded over night by the time i'm at the range these they worked in a bit better and seem to be not so dang stiff.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Love that thinking outside the box, Bull.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Any variation or portion of this that you can do will definately help on early range time. My two bits - clean the trigger housing. Don't skimp or think solvent is going to be enough - take the time. I learned the hard way with 2 FTFs in session #1. I did get a good shoot out comparison logged with the 709 and my Kahr CW9. I should have that post up with pics and ammo etc. tomorrow. A good bit of fun!

Reactions: RG33

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm kind of old school. Give it a good cleaning and let the rounds do the polishing. After a few hundred rounds break it down and lube the shiny parts. This also gives me a chance to see how the parts are fitting.

I do like the idea of racking the slide a bunch before sending rounds down range. It cheaper too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
couple months ago I picked up a 709 slim and a tcp at about the same time. I read some things about how folks have had issues with them out of the box ect, and how a couple hundred rounds will get them broke in ect, before they are reliable.

I needed these guns to be reliable when i strapped them on not in a month when i got 300 rounds through them.

Heres my easy free break in ritual.

get it nice and cleaned

1. I load the mags up and let them sit for 3 days minimum to compress that spring, I'll take the rounds out, put them back several time and them let stay full.

2. I oil it and I rack the slide with the magazine out 600 hundred times, just back and forth over and over, i don't let it slam shut just keep racking it over the course of three days.

3. I let the gun sit with the slide locked open when I'm not racking it to keep the spring compressed.

4. I snap cap fire it hundred times or so, after the 3 days it really felt like it had been broke in, and they both are as smooth shooting as ever.

5. polish the feed ramp, I put a gun bore cleaning tip into my cordless drill, the soft furry kind, not the hard bristles, put some gun cleaning oil on it and and just on low speed ran it on the feed ramp, polished er up nice and shiney, took about 2 minutes tops. you'll now when its enough as the feed ramp will shine up nice. do it every couple hundred rounds once it gets dirty, that way it stays nice and smooth

I clean it again and take it to the range.

last 3 months I've put 500 rounds through both...and not 1 ftf or fte they been perfect.

maybe I got lucky with good guns but i think the break in i did prior to shooting helped alot.

When polishing the feed ramp did you do just the portion on the barrel, or the ramp portion in the grip also??

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
couple months ago I picked up a 709 slim and a tcp at about the same time. I read some things about how folks have had issues with them out of the box ect, and how a couple hundred rounds will get them broke in ect, before they are reliable.....................

A lot of "luck" is a result of the preparation and care. At least that's been my experience. I also have a couple of Tauruses which have given me no problems in several thousand rounds of all kids of ammo. I am anal about cleaning and caring for all of my guns. I probably spend twice as much time in the care and feeding as I do the shooting. Matter of fact, I need to fun into town and do some errands. I'll have my 145 MilPro with me. Clean, loaded, reliable and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Sound like a great ritual. Now, If I could learn to do that and type at the same time.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Sound like a great ritual. Now, If I could learn to do that and type at the same time.
Unfortunately I use the same finger to type as I do to shoot.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I don't go that crazy, but I get close!

I also take out the striker assembly to clean it & the channel. I found there were some raised bits in the plastic and a diamond hone smoothed them off. That helped the trigger feel a ton. And 10X on the cleaning it out good! Spray, toothbrush, patches, toothpicks, etc etc all get used. Took me an hour to clean the 740 up then a few more minutes with the mags.

ok, maybe I do go that crazy...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the break in advice. I will be doing this before I go to the range

1 - 20 of 21 Posts