Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oops! I left out a "r" in Kresser in the header. Can't edit it.

This may belong in the "700's" forum, but I thought it might get more exposure here.

I put this letter in the mail this morning, Tuesday May 7, 2013.

May 7, 2013
Mr. Mark Kresser
Taurus USA
16175 NW 49 Avenue
Miami FL 33014

Dear Mr. Kresser,

I am the proud owner of a Tracker 992 revolver and a PT709 semiautomatic pistol. I am now 76 years young and have just recently re-entered the world of handguns.

I am writing to express my disappointment and curiosity about the lack of additional magazines for the popular PT709. Most semiautomatic owners that intend to carry for self protection like the security of one or two back-up loaded magazines, and if just going to the shooting range for practice, extra magazines are a convenience. But I suppose it’s not necessary for me to explain this to someone working in the gun industry.

It seems to me that Taurus is (for whatever reason) performing a disservice to their PT709 owners by not making additional magazines available. It’s a curiosity to me because I spent 40 plus years working in manufacturing and I don’t understand why Taurus is not making these magazines and having them available for retail.

I have no idea how the Taurus manufacturing process is managed and/or supplied with raw materials. There must be a lot of skill and knowledge involved in the successful operation of this part of the business. It would seem to me to simply be a matter of “getting it done.”

You may or may not be aware that the only PT709 magazines to be found in local shops or by searching the internet are the highly overpriced ones on ebay. All of the retailers just say “out of stock” or “backordered” or something similar. Please strive to correct this situation.

Thank you for reading,

Signature

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
When did you begin your search for extra mags? If it was after Dec.14th you have to realize that almost everything firearms related is on back order.
This goes for Everything I'm looking for. Ammo, & mags for a Bersa .22 Thunder. Were all in the same boat, due to hoarders.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
306 Posts
This goes for Everything I'm looking for. Ammo, & mags for a Bersa .22 Thunder. Were all in the same boat, due to hoarders.
People are pure evil these days when it comes to firearms.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would say more scared than evil. People are just afraid that if they don't get it now, they may never be able to. That was the case here in CT with any mag over 10 rounds and most semi-auto rifles so you can't call people completely crazy.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
The PT709 Mags are out there. Many of the sources, riding the wave of fear for profit have jacked the prices up to as high as 75 bucks per mag. This isn't the fault of Taurus just as it's not the fault of CCI that a 100 ct box of minimags are going as high as 35 bucks. We all feel your frustrations as it has impacted about every aspect of shooting sports. Taurus is the company that it is today because they do react to their customers, usually in positive ways. I do believe they are taxing their lines to get Mags into the hands of their customers.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Historic Christian doctrine says that people aren't pure evil, but we are fallen; there is no aspect of our nature that is completely untouched by the taint of our fallenness. Whether you agree or not, you have to admit that it gives a cogent explanation for why we do things we know to be wrong, even against the testimony of our very own conscience.

It's correct that people are afraid and hoarding, but it's also true that there are profiteers exploiting the shortage. Government is both directly and indirectly behind it all - a little bit from the massive ammo purchases, and more from the anti-gun rhetoric that has people scared.

This too shall pass...

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
This may belong in the "700's" forum, but I thought it might get more exposure here.

I put this letter in the mail this morning, Tuesday May 7, 2013.

May 7, 2013
Mr. Mark Kresser
Taurus USA
16175 NW 49 Avenue
Miami FL 33014

Dear Mr. Kresser,

I am the proud owner of a Tracker 992 revolver and a PT709 semiautomatic pistol. I am now 76 years young and have just recently re-entered the world of handguns.

I am writing to express my disappointment and curiosity about the lack of additional magazines for the popular PT709. Most semiautomatic owners that intend to carry for self protection like the security of one or two back-up loaded magazines, and if just going to the shooting range for practice, extra magazines are a convenience. But I suppose it’s not necessary for me to explain this to someone working in the gun industry.

It seems to me that Taurus is (for whatever reason) performing a disservice to their PT709 owners by not making additional magazines available. It’s a curiosity to me because I spent 40 plus years working in manufacturing and I don’t understand why Taurus is not making these magazines and having them available for retail.

I have no idea how the Taurus manufacturing process is managed and/or supplied with raw materials. There must be a lot of skill and knowledge involved in the successful operation of this part of the business. It would seem to me to simply be a matter of “getting it done.”

You may or may not be aware that the only PT709 magazines to be found in local shops or by searching the internet are the highly overpriced ones on ebay. All of the retailers just say “out of stock” or “backordered” or something similar. Please strive to correct this situation.

Thank you for reading,

Signature

I sympathize with your frustration regarding the availability of magazines for your pistol. As was pointed out above, regardless of brand, part, or accessory, since the first of this year, those items have become very difficult to buy. For that matter, so have many brands and models of firearms and ammunition. Many people just assume that this is a major coup d'etat for gun manufacturers. While it's true that they have seen a massive spike in retail sales, it's also true that the depletion of their inventory has created major problems in managing the supply and resupply of materials, and prioritizing what should be manufactured, and in what quantity. Manufacturers cannot make all items at once, and they may have contractual commitments to meet with product production, as well. So in reality, the frustration you feel is also felt by the manufacturer, Taurus in this particular case. It's not that they would not like to make the magazines for your gun so you could buy one, because believe me, selling guns and magazines is exactly what they want to do. As things stand right now, everything they produce is pretty much sold before they produce it. It will take a while for gun manufacturers and their suppliers to get caught up. Until they do, we the retail public, will be frustrated that we can't purchase the things we've become accustomed to buying without delay. The only advise I can give you is this; if you need an extra magazine for your gun for concealed carry, and if you can find a magazine for your gun for sale, buy it, regardless of the cost. Even if it's $50 more than normal, $50 is a small price to pay for the added comfort and security you gain by doing so. If you don't need one right away, then just accept the fact that the world is currently out of balance and sit back and wait. Eventually, things will get back to some sense of normalcy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
There seems to be some criticism for Barnstormer writing to Mr. Kesser. Taurus has changed due to customers giving them their concerns. I have three Tauri, Judge, 24/7 and the 709. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I'm lucky enough to not "need" more SD ammo for the Judge or "need" extra mags or SD ammo for the 24/7 or SD ammo for the 709, BUT, I could use more mags for the 709, not to mention, more target ammo for all of them. Taurus is a great company with a great product. I think it's a fine thing that we can write to the "Big" boss to tell them what we like.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
We have a significant amount of manufacturing capacity in the USA that is dormant. If I were a manufacturer and I had back-orders for several months worth of production line time, I would contract out that production until I was caught up with demand. And by the way, I am a manufacture Rep and we often contract out production when our sales out-pace our production. Magazines are stamped out of sheet steel or alloy so there is no excuse for a shortage. IMHO

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
There seems to be some criticism for Barnstormer writing to Mr. Kesser. Taurus has changed due to customers giving them their concerns. I have three Tauri, Judge, 24/7 and the 709. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I'm lucky enough to not "need" more SD ammo for the Judge or "need" extra mags or SD ammo for the 24/7 or SD ammo for the 709, BUT, I could use more mags for the 709, not to mention, more target ammo for all of them. Taurus is a great company with a great product. I think it's a fine thing that we can write to the "Big" boss to tell them what we like.
I just read back through this thread, and maybe I missed it, but I didn't read any criticism directed toward the OP for writing to Mr. Kresser. I thought most of the replies were just trying to provide a bit of insight as to why magazines are hard to get right now. I moved the thread from the 700 section to Product Problems so that it would get more exposure and make more people aware of the issue. I see nothing wrong with the OP's original post.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I think the letter is great. I am sure Mr. Kresser's job is not an easy one given the current situation with every thing gun related. Sometimes upper management is concentrated on the bigger picture and long term success and over looks the little things with a quick easy fix. I am not saying the magazine issue is a quick easy fix, but if you don't ask you never know.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am not criticizing OP either, but I would lay money down that in times like this, Mr Kresser has plenty of mail to read. You would probably be lucky if the response you get is not a canned response signed with a rubber stamp. Probably something along the lines of, "We appreciate you as a customer. Please understand we are working around the clock to keep up with demand. Please accept our apology...yada yada yada." They cannot control how much someone decides to resell their products for, though they could keep a supply themselves and try to sell them at a reasonable price. I am tellin ya, Obama's got to be getting some type of kickback for being the best gun salesman of the century. I do not think it was this bad even back before the '94 ban.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Co-worker had purchased a PT 745 and could not find an extra magazine. He called Taurus customer support and was mailed one in 2 weeks. I called them, for an extra mag for my 709 and 809 and was put on the back order waiting list. It has been over 2 months. I called back to check on the order status and they stated there are still none to be had. The C/S rep gave me phone numbers of 5 different distributors. I talked to one of them who told me Taurus receives and very small shipment from Brazil for those mags once a week, but once a month, A huge shipment comes in for Brazil. I am investigating having them made myself. There is not that much to them, really.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Mr. Mark Kresser is the President of Taurus Holdings, a huge international company, and I imagine he is a pretty busy fellow. Also, I can imagine that he is keenly interested in what his customers think of the Taurus brand and their products.

I'm not being critical of the OP for writing or emailing to Mark, but if this trend of contacting the top executive (instead of the Customer Service Department) continues by countless other folks, I doubt that Mr. Kresser will be able to personally address each and every issue that we write to write to him about, and still be able to take care of his responsibilities.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes this is going on with all makes. I sometime back purchased a S&W M&P 22 and like to never found 1 extra magazine and just lucked into that one. I was directed by one of the members here to a site where I was able to pick up 2 mags for my 709 and have not seen any more. I think like others here, a large portion of the lack of ammo, parts and such is people buying up every thing they can find for resale. I hope things get back to some kind of normal but I think it will be like gas prices and we will never see the low prices from times past. I remember paying $0.78 a gallon for gas. Don't think I will ever see that again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts