Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm proud of my children, and also sad at the same time. Before they were out of high school, my daughter had toured the Orient for 2 months, and had gone to England for 3 weeks. My son had gone to Mexico for 2 weeks, and traveled alone to S. Africa to meet up w/ close friends there for a month. All w/o parents around. Now, my daughter starts her clinicals for her Master's in Nursing tomorrow. My son, a JR. in college, just left for 6 months to study in Amman, Jordan, possibly even longer. I miss them, and my wife bawls like a baby, knowing her babies are no longer are...

I'm sharing this to get this off my chest, because my wife has enough to handle. If y'all would send prayers for them and all of our members' grown-up kids I'm sure we all would appreciate it. They all need guidance, no matter what they are doing...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I just prayed and asked God to have "the Angel of The LORD camp round about them".

You are truly blessed to have children who are fine, upstanding citizens who are doing something positive and constructive with their young lives. I know you must be very proud of them.

One of my granddaughters is addicted to crystal methamphetamine and it has gotten so bad that my wife and I now have legal custody and guardianship of her 16-month-old baby and are raising him. She spent two and one half months in the county jail last year and is now, currently, a fugitive from the law...having not showed up for her last court date.

Please pray for her...and then count your blessings, my friend.

·
17,575 Posts
I understand! My daughter has been in the Peace Corps in El Salvador since August of 2009. She gets out tomorrow, not because she finished her tour, but they are sending her home early because of "Security Concerns". *@&%*^*$!!

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
We've been doing the empty nest thing for a while, whodog. Welcome to the club.
Remember when the kids were home? You couldn't wait for them to be out on their own. It's part of the eternal paradox of parenthood. The closer the kids are, the farther away you want them. The farther away they are, the closer you wish they were.
Just remember, your kids are fine - you guys are the ones that need help. :)

·
5,686 Posts
You have my thoughts and prayers. Be proud and consider yourself very lucky. This generation leaving school now has to over come more than we ever did. Some are making it, some, as MilProGuy has shared, are not. Mine are on the fence. Both of my kids are still in college, but my daughter who was an A+ student from K-present is now seeming to drink more and more these day's. Hooking up with people she would have never been close to in the past. She broke up with her fiance' whom we all loved, who was actually good for her and to her, for some low life piece of crap that showed up to our Christmas drunk. I never had to worry about either of my kids before. They both had good heads on their shoulders, but for whatever reason my daughter has taken a turn in her life that I can not understand. My son, who struggled with his grades and was always what we considered the loose cannon is now the one with his head on straight. He's got goals and holding down two jobs plus school. A parents job is never done, but it's much harder to do it when they are adults. It makes me want to call my Mother and apologize profusely!

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
It's natural to worry, no matter how old they get, they remain our "children".

But this is a path in life all parents face.

We must leave them them in God's care and continue down the path.

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
It makes me want to call my Mother and apologize profusely!
Do it. My mother is dead. Before she died we had a number of very long and very stressful talks. While I can't claim that they cleared anything up, we did come to an acceptance that we had never had before.

·
17,575 Posts
We've been doing the empty nest thing for a while, whodog. Welcome to the club.
Remember when the kids were home? You couldn't wait for them to be out on their own. It's part of the eternal paradox of parenthood. The closer the kids are, the farther away you want them. The farther away they are, the closer you wish they were.
Just remember, your kids are fine - you guys are the ones that need help. :)
Yeah paradox is right! while missing my daughter on the one hand, my son, (who lives here) comes over about every other weekend with his finacee and stays all day, My wife and I look at each other and have one of those telepathic conversations (after 30 years of marriage you can do that) asking "when are these people going to leave?" We don't really mind, I know it's really a good problem to have and we are very, very, lucky.

My daughter, in spite of being in El Salvador, found a fiance too! So they are both engaged and we will have two weddings this year. This may negatively impact my Taurus budget. In case you are wondering, he's not El Salvadorian. He's a U.S. citizen attached to the U.S. Embassy. They will be coming home to the States at the end of this year, get married, then on to Washington D.C. until 2014 when they will move to his next station in.....the frikin' Philippines! Visiting her is going to get expensive.

But my son the hotel manager is going to marry the school teacher and stay here and have lots of babies. Sometimes it just blows my mind.

·
17,575 Posts
and on another note...........after spending your entire adult life raising children, where they were always the focus of every decision, just what exactly are you supposed to do with yourself when that just stops? I don't know how to think of myself first. I keep wandering around trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. When I can't come up with an answer I go buy another gun. My wife dealt with it by going back to school. *sigh*

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my son got to Jordan late Sunday, night... Hopefully, his luggage will come tomorrow, Tuesday, LOL...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It has been about 12 years since my girls flew the coup and I sometimes miss having a full house. And like you Sir am very proud of them, they weren't only my kid's they were my shooting and football buddy's. It get's easier but it doesn't go away. Best wishes to your children and their endevor's and best wishes to you Sir and your wife...Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts