Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 11K+, probably closer to 12 K now rounds and 15 years of loyal service, the extractor spring popped out. Not sure if the spring broke or the extractor where it mounts, but that stopped the practice session. I love this thing for carry, so bloomin' accruate and fast and points so well. But, I guess while I send the slide back to KT, I'll fall back to my tried and true Taurus 85SSUL. It's a winner, too, and it don't need no stinkin' extractor. :D Well, it does, but not for each and every round. LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not a bad run. I have a P11 with around 750 rounds. I got a way to go to match you, but if I can get to 11k with it, I think you can say I got my $250 worth

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'd definitely say you got your money's worth out of that pistol!

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it ain't over, yet, ya know. Lifetime warranty and KT's CS is supposed to be REAL good. I'm gonna find out. I got on KT's site and asked about sending in the slide. Nothing wrong with the frame part, not a reason to pay for sending the gun. I can send the slide USPS cheap. I figure the springs could stand to be replaced, probably fatigue that ate that spring. They could replace the firing pin spring and the main spring while they're at it, if they will. They're pretty good about service.

I love this gun for carry, points naturally, easy to hit with, very accurate, and fires a powerful round with high capacity.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
I've had pretty luck with Kel-Tec's customer service.

The longest turn around time has been three weeks to replace a trigger.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The PT111 was just out when I got the Kel Tec. The only other small 9 at the time was the Kahr K9. I looked at all three and the KT was by far the most concealable and the only one that was really pocket sized. That's why I originally bought it. I'd just got my CCW, was in the first class in the area after they passed the law here in '96. :D If I do replace it, not really a reason if KT fixes it, I'd look probably into the PT709 and PF9 which are thinner and only lack a few rounds on capacity. They weren't available in '96. There's Kahr's newer guns, of course, but they're pricey. KT will replace the gun if it needs replacing under their warranty, though, so theoretically at least, you buy one, you have one forever even if you wear that one out. :D

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Thats pretty good gas mileage. Especially for a gun you probably didn't pay over $200 for!

I can't imagine 11,000 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was running up that round count, I was shooting IDPA and have a dillon set up for 9x19. 9x19 in a Ruger was what I shot in IDPA and was practicing usually twice a week. I always put 50 or 100 rounds down range in the KT as it was my carry and I had plenty of ammo from my marathon progressive reloading sessions. :D I got REAL good with this P11, whether you think the trigger is aweful or not. Practice will do that for ya. :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. I just received a PF-9. I've been running around with it in my pocket since Christmas. I hope it'll run half as long as your P11. Have you examined a PF9 NativeTexan? Are the slides similar in beefiness to a P11? Do you know if Kel Tec might put a trigger into a P11 that is like the one in PF9 in the future?

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Dang NT, 11,000+ rounds.....I hope my PF9 lasts that long. :D

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
That's one extremely durable little pistol! :D

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's impressive. I just received a PF-9. I've been running around with it in my pocket since Christmas. I hope it'll run half as long as your P11. Have you examined a PF9 NativeTexan? Are the slides similar in beefiness to a P11? Do you know if Kel Tec might put a trigger into a P11 that is like the one in PF9 in the future?
the PF9 is thinner, slide likely weighs a bit less. No chance they'll put the PF9 trigger in the P11 IMHO. I rather like the P11 trigger better, though, for its pocket safety. It's a true DAO, very smooth, with a slight stage at the end making for accurate shooting. You do have to get used to it, but I'm a DA shooter from way back, been shooting revolvers a long time.

I'm sure the PF9 is a durable gun, too, and it's covered by the same lifetime warranty. Frankly, if it'd been available when I bought the P11, I'd probably have chose it. It's only 2 rounds down and is thinner and lighter. But, I do prefer the longer trigger and double strike capability of the P11. It's only 1" wide, too, about the thinnest double stack out there to my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kel Tec is sending the parts. They said if I have problems, to send in the slide. It looks easy enough. I have punches. Just a roll pin holding the exctrator.

I looked closer, the extractor did break behind the pivot. They're sending me the spring, pin, and extractor.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The parts came in. Apparently there was a redesign, because there are two extractor designs listed on Numrich Arms gun parts site and mine is different from the parts sent. I might have to wind up sending the gun in for a new slide or something. :rolleyes: I e-med 'em, will see what they say.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd have to agree with the rest, that was a pretty darn good run. Hoping you get her fixed up and back out in service soon!

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have been in e-m contact. They're looking for the proper part and promise to send it. There was a first gen and a redesign (second gen) and I've got the first gen according to serial number. Heck, I bought it in 1996, probably one of the first off the production line. They hadn't been out that long when I got it.

·
Super Moderator
34,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the part and installed it today. Cycles fine, but I need to go shoot, now. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
You are lucky! I had bought a P11 about ten years ago and never got it to run right. I shot about one thousand rounds, WWB (they were $9.99 for 100, then:D) or reloads through it, waiting for it to break in. The accuracy was pretty decent and I liked the little package but finally sent the slide assembly in. When it came back, it was still unreliable and the accuracy was worse.

I also had a P32 that wasn't reliable and the only Keltec product that I owned that worked reliably was a Sub2K in the G17 mag cinfiguration. That Sub2k was a blast to shoot with the 33rd mags and my kids definitely hurt my finances blasting away with it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts