Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I managed to install a new barrel on my new model 65; the forcing cone developed a crack. Yes I could have sent it to Taurus as a warranty fix, but I just didn't want the hassle or wait dealing with Taurus; plus I like to challenge myself to fix things like this. Because this is a new model, the only way to get parts is directly through Taurus, and the last time I contacted them the parts they promised never showed. Anyway I found a new barrel (from Numrich) from an earlier model, hoping it would fit; and it did with a few caveats. Since barrel was from an earlier model, the lines of the frame where a little different, and it was polished blued, rather than the horrid flat black finish the new models have (the flash of the camera made the flat finish look much lighter than it really is). In order to get the clocking right, it required a .004/.005" shim, but since the threaded area of the barrel was about .004" longer, it did not affect the cylinder gap much (the gap was actually a little wider, which allowed me to remove a shim I installed after the cylinder started scraping against the cone). The current gap is .002". The next step is to take it out, shot it and see where the point of aim is, which may require some tweaking of the barrel clocking. IMG_5576.JPG

As you can see I've already replaced a lot of the OEM parts with older parts, including the hammer, trigger, grips and I added a ring at the base of the grip. The gun remains a work in progress..

·
8,902 Posts
Well done. Looks like the front site blade will be a bit taller than the original. But should be a good shooter, and you did it yourself.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Looking forward to range report

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Put a blue cylinder in it and call it a "Pinto".....
I have looked at a blued cylinder, but they're about $100 (@ Numrich)and there is no guarantee it will fit my model (and besides why replace an expensive working part). Once I get the sight set up my next move will likely be a polish and cold blue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You have my admiration.

I have been looking for a 65 blues frame.

Have to sell my marlin,charger and 94 first.

I think it will make great companion to my gp100 6 inch.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well done. Looks like the front site blade will be a bit taller than the original. But should be a good shooter, and you did it yourself.
While the lug on top of the new barrel is thicker than the old barrel, the front blade of the new barrel is shorter (and wider), than the blade on the old barrel, which pretty much equals out. Interestingly right out of the box the gun was shooting about 2" right (@ 10 yards), so I re-channeled the fixed sight with a file and some JB weld (photo with old barrel)

I'm not sure where the POA will be with this new barrel, but since the blade is wider, I will have to open it up a bit and possibly re-center the channel. This is just too much fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a 65 two years ago. I think from Buds but may have been Kentucky Gun Co. It was a blem. Beautiful bluing, not the matte black Krylon paint job. Which in my opinion is the most obvious corner cutting Taurus has done. Took awhile to discover the blemish. It was the logo. It was improperly stamped. Shoots perfectly. Also, I wish they would have incorporated a red front blade sight. I used florescent green nail polish on mine.

Reactions: Stroker

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm back from the range and the barrel worked as one would expected. It looks like it is shooting dead straight, but since I modified the rear channel for the previous barrel shooting to the right, it is now shooting about 1 1/2" to the left. As mentioned, the front sight is wider than that of the old barrel, so I have since filed the right side of the sight so the notch is nearly centered. I return to the the range tomorrow (this time I bring a file) to see if it is now shooting straight. Next I start the bluing process..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sounds like fun. Interested in keeping up with your progress. I would like to find a project 65 to practice the bluing process myself. Kep up the good work

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And here it is! My, now, (cold) blued Model 65. No it is not that deep polished blue (except the barrel), but it is not Krylon black, and for me it's a huge improvement

·
Registered
880 Posts
No pic?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
No Pic seen.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Did you say that was cold blue? Not bad. I wander if you did several.more times you would get that rich dark color across whole gun? How much time did you put into cleaning?

All in all dam fine job. Glad to hear its hitting dead on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts