Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey shooters around the globe!

Wow!! Today was a day of many, many first!! I finally got the chance to experience my first gun range (indoor) and use my very first firearm ever purchased about 6 weeks ago as well as it was my very first time firing a weapon of any kind!! :eek:

I'd purchased some Tulammo 9mm from wally world about 3 weeks ago, but was told I couldnt use it at the indoor range, because it would catch fire... so I had to buy their ammo , which was Federal 9mm target ammo at $17/50ct box each...got 2 boxes. Other than me loading 1 of the 2 magazines that came with my gun purchase, which took me about 10 mins to figure out how to load with the quick loader (last used about 3 weeks ago), I had to empty the magazine I had that was loaded to add the Federal ammo. The springs in those magazines were stiff as all get out!! It took me about 20 mins. to load 2 magazines!! with and without the quick loader...I just had a hard time with it but got it going! I inserted the full 17 round magazine...now is the first time handling a loaded firearm...but now worries...holding it right handed and finger on the indented index finger safe position, NOT on the trigger. ;) thinking of all the safety procedures Ive learned...turned the safety off, chamber a round, extend my arms, gather my grip with my left hand, set my sights on my target, move my finger to the trigger, take a deep breath and fire my first round off EVER!! Wow!! what an experience...from seeing the smoke, the fire, hearing the bomb:shooter:I take about 10-15 seconds before I pull the trigger again, actually I put the weapon down on the bench and take a step back to take ALL THAT IN....then I exhaled and let out a gentle WOW! I just did that. I emptied the magazine and released it and inserted my second one and let it all out and while I started to load the ammo in the empty magazines, which was much easier this time and took about 5 mins this time. I placed both full magazines down on the bence beside the unloaded gun and there it really hit me how important it is for safety when handling firearms but even more at the havoc these machines can cause on anyone mishandling them or using them for protection. It just gave me a "new found" respect for these, considering I've never handle one before. The time leading up to this day, I would practice holding the firearm, unloaded, practicing keeping my finger off the trigger, decocking it, releasing the empty magazince, etc. and breaking down/assembling the firearm...I just was not comfortable with keeping a loaded weapon in the house without having fired one yet.

This was a very good experience! The kickback was not bad at all and after the first magazine was emptied, I became that much more comfortable with handling this weapon more and more, BUT now truly understand how important RESPONSIBILITY AND SAFETY is!!

Glad to be a Taurus firearm owner!!

just wanted to share this with you....sorry if it's more reading than most care for. :)

Note - I tried to upload my target sheet, but it's too large...I'll reduced it and try to upload it again later tonight.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Cool. I was about 8 when I shot a Mk1 1 Ruger with my dad. Learn proper safety and range skills. I had my training enforced in the military..

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think we've got another one! Seriously, welcome to our world. Keep at it, like rogertc1 said, Safety, Safety, Safety!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good shooting for your first time out. Get you some snap caps to practice dry firing at home and get some formal training as soon as you can. Even veterans (old time gun owners not just ex military in this case) and pros will learn something new in a training course.

Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
Welcome new shooter from northeastern KY! :wave:

From the sounds of it you are already hooked and will have a lifelong hobby/passion.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee. Invest in an Uplula to load your magazines - it will really speed up the process.

·
Registered
648 Posts
welcome from Kentucky. Glad that you are here

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky! Word for the wise, you are now hooked on an obsession that will never let go of you. Like ever has said, practice, practice, practice. Nothing can replace that

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome from NY, home of Remington Arms, the longest continuous manufacturer of guns in America! You will now join the ranks of other similarly obsessed gun lovers. Practice makes perfect, whether in hitting your target or staying safe.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Howdy!
Yep...practice, practice, practice.
Yep...Uplula magazine loader
Yep...professional training

And did I read that right, you were told you had to buy their ammo because the Tulammo would catch fire!? Seriously, you were told that?! Find another range if you have one in your area! My local indoor range won't let people shoot anything other than brass cased ammo but I'm fairly certain the reason is not because it will catch on fire!

Oh, and did you clean the gun real good before your first range trip?

Last thing....you're hooked! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Once you start down the gun path there is no turning back, get a second job! I warned you!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Welcome to the club! Sounds like you had a successful first outing! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Welcome from Maine.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you. Now you are hooked and there is no turning back. Guns are an addiction and I am in denial cause I do not want the treatment.:D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you are not careful you will develop a habit that is worse than doing drugs because it's one you can't break

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi I I think every one here has touched on safety and practice. I just wanted to add...Congratulations on your first outing, and that is one dead paper bad guy you have there. Hold on to that one, and break it back out in a year, and have a look at where you have come.

Paul

1 - 20 of 44 Posts