Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post. I just picked up my first Taurus revolver. It is a blue model 65 .357 4". I will try and post a pic later when I get home. To be honest my first impression is I do not like it. The blue is very dark and looks black to me and the grips are very thin. Other than that it is a nice enough gun.

I guess I am trying to compare it to a S&W Model 19 I used to own, that was a very nice gun. I figure I will get used to the dark blue and I can always change the grips. Hopefully it will be a good shooter!!

Fred

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
One word.....HOGUE! :D I love Hogues. First one I had went on a Ruger Security Six. Had one on a M19. Have one on my 3" M66 now. They all feel similar in my hand with the Hogue. I even have one on my old M10 Smith. The Pachmayr grippers ain't bad, have one on my 4" 66. Hogues are available at reasonable prices in fancy woods, though, for the discriminating gun owner.

I sorta like that dark, dark bluing, blacking if you will. I have a Rossi with the finish and it's nice to look at and seems pretty tough. I put an Ajax pearlite (fake mother of pearl, but tougher than the real stuff) grips on that one, call it my "pimp gun". ;D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the welcome! Yeah, I will need to look at some different grips. My old S&W 19 had the big factory wood grips on it so the skinny rubber grips were kind of a shock when compared in my mind.

I am sure it will grow on me in time.... :)

Any ideas where I can find some grips like in this pic of a Model 19? Looking at this pic of a 19 sends the message that it is the grips that are the problem! I love the old school large wood grips.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome! I have two Taurus .357's, a 608 and an older 6 shot model 66 that was my fathers with the bright chrome like finish. I must say that both have performed flawlessly. As NativeTexan said, put a set of Hogues' on and enjoy!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you guys taking about rubber Hogues'? Which ones do you reccomend for my gun?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I gave the gun a good cleaning and it is starting to grow on me. It has a light thin line in the blueing on the cylinder already from the mechanisim that rotates the cylinder. My Model 19 had that as well but I was suprised to see it on a new gun. I think with some different grips it will be a fine gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
I have a set of those old fat stock grips that I tossed for the Pachmayrs I put on the nickeled 66. I hate those wood things, fat, ugly, and don't feel right, totally un-ergunomic. I guess it's what ya get used to, but I like finger grooves and the Hogues the best. Grabbin' those standard fat woods is like grabbing a box and the checkering is too abrasive under recoil. You may not like Hogues, your hand actually FITS them. LOL, they are a little skinny feeling after the woods, but they just feel so much better to me. But, that's why they make so many different grips.

I've seen those grips, used to come standard on old Taurus .38s and .357s, on Ebay cheap. People put better grips on and sell 'em.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
It has a light thin line in the blueing on the cylinder already from the mechanisim that rotates the cylinder. My Model 19 had that as well but I was suprised to see it on a new gun
That's where the cylinder stop drags. All revolvers get that in short order.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NativeTexan said:
That's where the cylinder stop drags. All revolvers get that in short order.
Yeah I found several forums with posts on this, totaly normal it seems even on a new gun. Yeah I will start hunting eBay and see what I can find on the old wood grips...

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
Those look just like the ones that were on my M66. SHOULD fit, worth the try. I'd give it 90 percent odds of working. :D Most of the older Taurus guns had the same grip frame in the medium frames. I know any M66 will fit the 65 for sure. They COULD be fore the small frame, but look like medium frame grips to me. All the small frames, I think, now days are round butt frames. That's definitely to fit a square butt.

·
Registered
959 Posts
fredg,... So why did you buy a Gun you don't like... I don't get it...??? So why didn't you buy another S&W Model 19 that you LIKE...???

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NativeTexan said:
Those look just like the ones that were on my M66. SHOULD fit, worth the try. I'd give it 90 percent odds of working. :D Most of the older Taurus guns had the same grip frame in the medium frames. I know any M66 will fit the 65 for sure. They COULD be fore the small frame, but look like medium frame grips to me. All the small frames, I think, now days are round butt frames. That's definitely to fit a square butt.

Here is a small set: http://cgi.ebay.com/Taurus-Factory-...hash=item350081084175&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

So I agree, I think the first pair I linked would work!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SgtKnuckles said:
fredg,... So why did you buy a Gun you don't like... I don't get it...??? So why didn't you buy another S&W Model 19 that you LIKE...???
Price and availability. Plus I thought the Taurus would look nearly the same, which is does with the exception of the blueng and grips. I special ordered the Taurus and I wanted a new gun.

So that is pretty much why I bought it. I am after the old style look which I think I can achive with the wood grips yet still have a new gun. If I could afford it I would buy a new S&W as they are remaking the old wheel guns like Dirty Harrys .44 Mag, but they are WAY to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't think them EBay grips will work... They are Small Frame grips...

Taurus Small Frame Models M85, 850, 851, 650, 651, 94, & 941
Taurus Large Frame; Models 65, 66, 80, 82, 83, 669 and 689

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 33 Posts