Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not owned a revolver in around 30 yrs. I just bought a M 327. Is it safe to carry with 6 rounds loaded, or do you need to carry with hammer down on a empty cylinder like the old revolvers ? Also do you need snap caps to dry fire ?

·
Super Moderator
17,617 Posts
Safe to carry with 6, snap caps are always a good idea if you're going to dry fire it more than a little.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Your new revolver will have a transfer bar which prohibits the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled, accidently dropping the weapon will not cause it to discharge. So the answer to your first question is you can load every chamber without problem... load it full.
You can cause damage to the firing pin by dry firing. You need a snap cap or other devise (spent brass) if you're going to dry fire the gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,667 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

There are no stupid questions here, just a whole bunch of friendly folks who want everybody shooting, having fun and being safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its fine, as stated it has a transfer bar so you can use it for a hammer (not reccomended ) that issue was mainly with the old single actions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info.I will get the snap caps. I need to practice the DA trigger pull. 1911's & a Beretta 92FS that I nearly always cock before the first shot are what I have till now.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, if your local gun store does not carry snap caps for the revolvers you can also find them online. That is what I am going to have to do, until then you can use spent brass.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
What Czech said -- no stupid questions here. Nice choice of a revolver. You will have to let us know what you think of shooting the .327 magnum....

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Just take 6 empty cases and knock out the primer. Put a dab of silicone in the primer pocket. Once dry, use a razor blade and trim it off flush with the case. Homemade snap caps. I would load them up and dry fire a couple thousand times. Especially in DA. This will build strength and muscle memory and help you work on your sight picture.

Then put in a wolf hammer spring and the DA pull will be much lighter and smoother. Right now my 327 has a stiffer DA pull than my TCP. If you change the hammer spring, make sure you test fire it. My gun didn't seem to like the lightened hammer spring, and I kept getting light strikes with no ignition. I ended up putting the factory spring back in.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You can't ask stupid questions. I own all rights for stupid here! Any way Welcome!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome from the Great State of Mississippi!

I don't dry-fire my handguns...it's just too danged much fun pulling the trigger on live ammo at the range. :D

Also, as has been mentioned, it is safe to carry your cylinder fully loaded on modern double-action revolvers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts