Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first gun show today, in mesquite TX.
It was interesting, kind of odd to be around so many people carrying weapons.
Ammo prices semeed to be x2 of what i can get at wal-mart. But there was plenty of it.
Hand guns seemed high, i saw my Pt140, used for $380, i paid about that , new, with taxes.
Lots of stuff to look at.
The biggest thing i came away with is that ammo is out there, you either have to hunt for it and get a good price, or pay 1.5 - 2x more and get it easily.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I went to a gun show in Tulsa this morning. Saw someone trying to sell 550 round boxes of 22LR for $149! Saw someone PAYING a different guy $100 for a 550 round box!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I went to a gun show in Tulsa this morning. Saw someone trying to sell 550 round boxes of 22LR for $149! Saw someone PAYING a different guy $100 for a 550 round box!
As soon as ppl STOP paying these outrageous prices it will be back on the shelves. When the scalpers can't move it they will stop camping out to buy it and it will be there when I get off work.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I usually go to gun shows to look for ammunition and accessories because most of the guns are
overpriced. That being said, I did get my Model 617 at a gun show for a reasonable price. If
you do a lot of looking around and know what to look for you can find a good deal or two at
most gun shows, along with plenty of jerky and coffee!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Saw several PT 738s for sale today at a local gun show for $300. Got mine at Academy for $199. Everything seems to be overpriced here lately

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There are a few treasures at gun shows, but too often today they are few and far between. I have kicked myself to death for not buying the SST 2" model 94 at the local gun show last year for $320.00 because I thought I would be able to get it for around $290.00. I guess not!

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
Academy had a PT 145 for $299 as well as other guns a Beretta cougar the .380 Diamondback and several 45's and a couple of XD's, A Bersa pretty much a fully stocked pistol case. Plus Ammo mostly practice but most under $10. But only a few a shotguns and rifles. Walmart was a joke.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I have never been to a gun show.. It never made sense to me to pay a price to look at guns.. Do you pay a price to look at cars at the dealer? Do you pay to look at boats? Do you pay to look at motorcycles? Do you pay to look at lawn equipment? I could go on and on.. Just my warped mind in action.. Now I will pay to go to a custom car and rod show because you can not see them on the dealers lot. With having everything on the internet you can shop for anything and locate it, price it and go but it... It must be me..;)

Reactions: Bender

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I pay $8-$10 on average to get into Gun Shows. I can get a hands on experience of just about any gun I am interested in. If I like how some feels and can't get it for a decent price at the show, I know when I order it online I will like the feel. I would not buy a gun online without first holding one some where else, to many times I thought I would like some thing until I picked it up. Well worth the $10 admission fee. Plus I love to watch people, and where better then a gun show.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
155 Posts
You picked a bad time to go to a gun show lol. In my area at least, gun shows never had super amazing prices unless you just got lucky, but the benefit was that there were people there with guns you might not find at your LGS, or odd-ball calibers your LGS might not keep stocked.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad you had a good time. I enjoy gun shows, but am pretty selective on what I buy.
I'm blessed to have a LGS whos priced usually beat all competition, plus I like spending my money in town.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was only $8 to get in, worth it for the people watching. I was hoping to find a old rifle there, for some reason I want a mosin nagant. I saw one for $300, more than I was willing to pay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It was only $8 to get in, worth it for the people watching. I was hoping to find a old rifle there, for some reason I want a mosin nagant. I saw one for $300, more than I was willing to pay.
Yep, I refuse to ever pay over $250 for an SKS or $150 for a Mosin. Good call on that one.

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
Just listening to conversation and talking to some of the characters that show up is worth the money plus you got to get a set of Chinese made in the USA BDU's And a case of MRE'S that say Chopsticks included :yipee::yeahbaby01:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was at the same show zed. I arrived about 8:30 and couldn't believe the line that had formed with 30 minutes still to go until doors open. I picked up one box of 50 40sw reloads for 19 and called it a day. I saw a box of 100 40sw for $87 and when the vendor saw me looking at it he asked how I was doing and I just set the box down, looked at him, and laughed.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was also looking for .40 s&w. it was there, but not at a price I liked. I do we'll enough getting the same ammo at Walmart. At 1/2 the cost

·
Registered
796 Posts
Gun shows are as much for my entertainment as anything. To me it's a great way to spend $8. I'm like the proverbial kid in a candy store. I don't know of any LGS or other retailer in my area where I can see and touch hundreds and hundreds of guns of all kinds. I also like to support the very idea of HAVING gun shows as a right of mine and yours. That said, yes the prices can be all over the place but I bought a Ruger sr22 last summer that I could not seem to get at Gander, for a very fair price. I also just bought a used Remington Wingmaster shotgun for top book but it was in like new condition for a model 37 years old. You won't find many of those unless you visit 50 local gun shops. Oh wait, that's what guns shows are.......50 (or more) LGS all in one building. I feel like my daughter feels at a mall when I go to a gunshow!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It never made sense to me to pay a price to look at guns..
True but there are lots of other things (accessories) at shows you just can't find at big box stores.
Plus what does it cost to drive to 5 or 6 local gun shops.
The one and only show I went to I was able to offset the $8 fee with the cheaper ammo I purchased.

Would I go to another? Yes but only if . . .
I knew they had ammo cheaper than the big box stores.
or
I wanted to sell one of my guns. I had 6 people ask me how much. And I wasn't even selling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts