Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just picked up my first hand gun at a local gun show, a new PT 809 C. :D I'm excited to learn more about it and put some rounds through it, but since it's my first gun, I want to make sure I treat it right. Do I need to clean and oil it before hand? I know I need to get a cleaning kit, but is there anything else you would recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. Definitely break it down and clean it well. If it is made in Brazil, it will be covered in packing grease which doesn't lubricate. Get some polymer safe gunscrubber, and thoroughly flush the little nooks and crannies out. Plus you can inspect the individual pieces and look for any problems, and learn how they go back together. Re lube and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Welcome aboard, and +1 on youngandfree's post. Gun Scrubber is a new Taurus' best friend. If you don't get the goop out before shooting, it can be a real bugger later. Also, I suggest some snap caps for training and to work the trigger without burning live ammo. Please keep us posted. Happy Shootin' and be safe.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks to you both!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Good advice already given so I'll just add my welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im in the same boat, I had a great gun shop that I bought mine from, they gave me a total walk threw on breakdown and cleaning. Great place to start is knowing how it works.
I love my 809 !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome from WA, have you been able to shoot your 809C yet? I have one with about 400 rounds through it now and it hasn't had a single failure. I love how easy it is to tear down and the lightweight. I use an old faithful holster (similar to crossbreed) and it carries very well. I hope you enjoy that new pistol.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I unfortunately have not :(...... I spent some time cleaning and lubricating it so it's ready to go. I bought a box of home protection ammo for it and I'm hoping I might be able to go to the range before the weekend.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've now put 100 rounds through it and really like how easily it operates. Still need to pay more attention to get a good feel for how well it hits the target, but that will come in time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts