Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone I got my first gun today! My name is blake, im 24 and from indiana. First time shooting a gun was in 2011. Every since then I've been wanting one. I don't really no much about guns at all so iv bee. Going over my manual over and over again. I bought a pt22 with the nickel finish and rosewood grips. All my buddies are making fun, but that's ok. I'd rather really confident in a gun I feel like I can control then one I can't. Any way I'm glad to have found this forum. I do have a few questions. According to the manual it states that u can rack the slide to load the weapon. I like this idea so that I don't have to have a round in the chamber. Only thing is I can't for the life of me pull the slide back. Now I know I can tip the barrel up to load the bullet but I plan to carry this gun with me after I get my permit and practice shooting it. But it states in the manual, that you should never keep a bullet in the chamber. Does the slide loosen up after firing the gun for a while? Also any thing I should look out for? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Also this is problem a dumb question but what kind of oil should I use to clean my gun? Any gun cleaning kits that you all reccomend? Certain ammo that works best? or ammo i should stay away from? If I'm missing anything feel free to say it. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Welcome from southcentral PA.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your PT22....I also have a pt22 and enjoy it...The slide will loosen up with use. Get a cleaning kit that is made for small calibers and make especially sure it has a brush that fits the barrel. Also before use, clean the gun very well paying special attention to the breach. The pt22 operates by blowback so a clean breach is needed so it throws out the shell easily. Any buildup of residue will hold the shell in place causing a jam. I use hoppes to clean with and rem oil for lubrication. Make sure you oil the rails that the slide operates on. Honestly, if you plan to carry this as your ccw, i would reconsider keeping an empty chamber. Once you become comfortable with the gun, find a holster and keep one in the chamber. If you ever had need to use the gun, chances are that you will never have time to pull your gun and then rack the slide to chamber a round. The pt22 comes with a safety. Use it. It may be trial and error to find the rounds that work best in your gun.....the main thing is to use it and get it broken in and operating correctly so you feel that it will go bang when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Gunshine State. As was mentioned, take the N.R.A. "First Steps....." course. It's mostly a Safety and Familiarization class. It will take up most of a day. There will be some range time, but just enough to ensure that you understand general gun and range safety. Most local gun shops (lgs) and ranges offer it or know someone who does.
Then start looking for a 4 inch (2 to 4 inch is O.K.) barrelled .357 magnum revolver. Load it with mild .38 Specials and go shoot it. I didn't even buy any .357's for mine for well over a year after I bought it. I still mostly shoot .38's in my magnums because they are more fun and less tiring.
A .22 pistol and a .357 magnum revolver will give you a lot of versatility in your "toolbox".
Read a lot. Watch videos.
Here are a couple of sites to get you started; GUNS AND SHOOTING ONLINE (<<<Main Side). . . . This site has plenty, too. GunBlast.com - Table of Contents
For videos, Hickok45 gets my nod. He has over 770 You Tube reviews. HICKOK45 - YouTube
Study hard. The Mods will administer an exam....lol (Nah, pick and choose what interests you.)
Don't forget to come up for air. Ask questions. They needn't all be about Taurus products. We're pretty open minded here. Most of us have more than just Taurus "tools".
Oh, and have fun. Stay Safe.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congratulations on the PT22! I use it as my primary carry weapon, and am not worried about 1 in the barrel. With the safety locking in place, you shouldn't have to worry. As for racking the slide. I've only found problems racking the slide if I have the safety on or maybe if the magazine is out. I've mentioned in another post where a friend was trying it out and limp wristing the gun, so it would fail to feed. I'd take it securely in my strong hand, rack it with my left and we'd go on. 3 times in a row. So, I think it is more of a learned/break in kind of thing. However, I really like the tip up barrel. Makes it so much easier. Don't have to load the magazine, rack it, remove the magazine put another round in, load the magazine to be at full capacity. All you need is to load the magazine. Put the 9th in the barrel, and off you go.

One thing I have learned though, is you need to hold the PT22 firmly and high. However, you need to watch how high you hold it. Make sure the web of your hand isn't folding over the back of the grip too high or the slide will bite you and fail to feed. Happened to me once. Adjusted my grip and it didn't happen again.

At any rate, I'm sure you will enjoy it! Inspite of people disparaging a 22 for self defense, it is better to have it than something you can't control. Also, as in my case, I have to think about those that might need to use it as well, like my wife. She doesn't get the range time to handle higher calibers. Enjoy it and don't listen to those who mock your choice! We all have reasons for the guns we buy, and it sounds like you've done your research. That's all that matters!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome from PA. I would not worry about what your friends say, a 22 is a good caliber to develop your skills. You can get cleaning kits at Walmart for less than $15 that should include solvent and oil. As far as ammo, try whatever you can get your hands on now. If it cycles ok, you are good to go. Don't know about the slide as I do not have a PT22. May move better after a good cleaning.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome!

any regular cleaning kit should work as long as it has stuff needed for a 22 calibur , also bore snakes work well too, I use Hoppes 9 to clean and butch's gun oil for lubrication.

When you can get a bunch of different types of high velocity 22 ammo and test them all, most people say their pt-22 likes the best mini mags, Mine seems to like Fiocchi and American eagle the best.

And I can rack the slide on my pt-22 its just tough, get a grip on end of the slide and push with left hand and pull with right hand on the slide. But I would recommend just using the tip up barrel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome from NW Indiana! I had a PT22 years ago and really enjoyed it. Good firearm to start with and "get to shootin!" Be safe always and practice alot!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank u everyone for the replies, they are greatly appreciated! I can't wait I shoot it at the range. Gotta wait till next weekend. Also I chose to get the pt22 Incase for any reason my wife would have to use it. I've done alot of research before buying and watched many YouTube videos. For my first gun I'm more then happy, plus ammo is alot cheaper so I can practice ALOT more then with a higher caliber gun. I do have one more quick question. I want to get my permit to carry. I filled out the application online. And it gives me 2 options. I can make an appointment online and go to GOODWILL and electronically send my prints off to the FBI and all that good stuff. And to to the police station and fill out everything, and send my finger prints in the mail. Was I reading this right that I can go to goodwill and get this stuff done?
Once again thanks everyone!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Welcome!:) from St.Louis.. I love RemOil, can be bought at walmart, crappy tooth brush, and alot of Q Tips.lol. YouTube is also an awesome source for safety training!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats!!! I'm looking for a "it's 100 degrees outside, and I wanna carry" pistol. Almost walked out of my LGS to day with a PT22. Also would be great to keep at the office etc.

Anyways, congrats!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank u everyone for the replies, they are greatly appreciated! I can't wait I shoot it at the range. Gotta wait till next weekend. Also I chose to get the pt22 Incase for any reason my wife would have to use it. I've done alot of research before buying and watched many YouTube videos. For my first gun I'm more then happy, plus ammo is alot cheaper so I can practice ALOT more then with a higher caliber gun. I do have one more quick question. I want to get my permit to carry. I filled out the application online. And it gives me 2 options. I can make an appointment online and go to GOODWILL and electronically send my prints off to the FBI and all that good stuff. And to to the police station and fill out everything, and send my finger prints in the mail. Was I reading this right that I can go to goodwill and get this stuff done?
Once again thanks everyone!
Welcome! I'm in South Bend, IN (Notre Dame country). I have a lifetime carry permit in Indiana and I'm getting ready to apply for my son's carry permit when he turns 18. It has been a while since I did the application process but I recently heard that it is all online now. I believe you have to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints done electronically. Most of these appointments are done at the local PD or Sheriff's departments. I'm not aware of "goodwill" doing these prints and that sounds odd.

There are some Indiana forums that have great information on this:
Indiana Shooter
INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, I had the PT25 and a Beretta 21A. I didn't have the shinny one but I really like the looks of the Taurus chrome and wood grips. These are really good small caliber pistols.

Clean it really good (I use Hoppes No.9 oil), put some Hoppes gun grease on the slide rails (get it at Dick's Sporting Goods or other locations), shoot it a bunch and get really comfortable with it.

If you carry it then don't carry with an empty chamber. Like said earlier in this thread, you don't have time to rack the slide if you need it. Wear a good quality leather belt and find a good quality holster. I wear my carry gun Inside Waist Band (IWB) at the 4 or 5 o'clock position and I find this the most comfortable. Also, it is in a location that if I were asked for my wallet that it would not be odd to reach for. You could pocket carry this too if you wanted.

I personally like the tip up barrel option. This made it easier for my wife and kids to load quickly and be ready to shoot since the slide it so short and a bit difficult to rack.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

I have a Beretta 21A 22LR with the tip up barrel and always carry it with a round in the chamber and the safety on. I carry it 99% of the time usually as a back-up gun in a pocket holster.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome from the western gate of the sunshine state!

Congrats on the new gun. Like the folks here have said, cleaning kits are inexpensive and available in many places - Walmart is as good as any.

My PT22 seems to like the high velocity ammo better than the cheaper bulk stuff. It will shoot both OK, but after a couple mags or so the bulk stuff starts to fail to feed or eject. I have had good luck with CCI Mini Mags and Winchester Super X. With ammo like it is now, I would buy what I could find for practice and save the better stuff for aelf/home defense. It absolutely works better when clean and lubed. A light coating of grease on the slide rails will atay longer than oil will.

The slide is pretty hard to rack for me also. I have a few hundred rounds through mine and I have not noticed a big change in the effort required to rack the slide. Perhaps a few thousand...

A 22 is nothing to laugh at. I wouldnt want to be shot by one. A PT22 is IMO a good choice. Lots of them around.

Thats my 2 cents worth. Practice as often as you can. Be safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts