Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FB0OTSq.jpg so I bought my first ever gun about 5 days ago from academy, a PT92 and found this forum and thought of joining. I am not quiet sure how to post pictures here yet but I'll figure it out. I only bought 2 boxes of 50 count brass ammo, i should have just bought 3 (that was dumb of me). I am really liking my gun so far (even though i have shot about 70 rounds) but having problems finding ammo, anywhere I go is sold out. Today I made a newbie mistake and bought 150 steel Tulammo later to find out that no ranges allow steel cases (so i dont know what to do with them). I read a few places where they said steel ammo sucks and some that they say it doesn't. Will it be ok for the PT92, I would imagine I am no expert?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 92. Good choice. I have not shot that ammo, but you may find some other ranges that do not restrict it. These days any kind of ammo is better than none. Enjoy your new pistol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Heart of Dixie. PT92 is a great choice. As to steel cased ammo I don't use it...period. Now if I owned an AK47 that would be a different situation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Me and the PT92 next to my bed that I carry every day congratulate you!

uploadfromtaptalk1375504618377.jpg

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use Tul-Ammo but like Wolf and other steel case....it would probably be better to use Winchester or Remington ...or other brass case ammo...welcome to the forum compadre... :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh...and I bought the same model from Academy a month ago...keep us posted on any upgrades.

·
Registered
207 Posts
nice one, are using the stock magazines? I was considering buying mec-gar but again i cant find any online. Also the hand grip on yours, could i do that to mine, i really like it
I am using stockers, but would recommend mec-gar replacements. The grip is a pachmayer with the wrap around front grooves and checkered back strap. If you are going with those grips, pick up three Beretta grip bushings and four hogue grip screws from Brownells because it will make it fit far better than the stock ones (plus I like the stainless screws).

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
nice one, are using the stock magazines? I was considering buying mec-gar but again i cant find any online. Also the hand grip on yours, could i do that to mine, i really like it
Mec-Gar Magazines on stock

TAURUS : Greg Cote, LLC
Note that Greg Cote will be temporarily shut down soon, as he is moving from Maryland to Florida.

CDNN: Taurus Mags

illixr's PT92 wears the Pachmayr Finger Groove Grip, which will fit all PT92's, PT99's, PT917's, PT100's, and PT101's, as does mine.

Taurus PT92 w Pachmayr Finger Groove Grip and Ghost Ring Rear Sight
Note: I did not install the Grip Backstrap, which is optional.

·
32,696 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mec-Gar Magazines on stock

TAURUS : Greg Cote, LLC
Note that Greg Cote will be temporarily shut down soon, as he is moving from Maryland to Florida.

CDNN: Taurus Mags

illixr's PT92 wears the Pachmayr Finger Groove Grip, which will fit all PT92's, PT99's, PT917's, PT100's, and PT101's, as does mine.

Taurus PT92 w Pachmayr Finger Groove Grip and Ghost Ring Rear Sight
Note: I did not install the Grip Backstrap, which is optional.
Thank you for all the info, just ordered a 15 round magazine and seems like the order went through so I am extra happy

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Welcome from SE TX! That's a fine gun you chose, 92. Have fun and be safe. Btw, join the club with ammo and accessories. Since Sandy Hook and the gun grab, things have been in short supply. But they are getting better! Hang in there grasshopper: you will find a lot of good advice here, and good folks!

·
32,696 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Welcome to TA and the 92 club, you picked a fine first weapon there. It should run the Tula just fine, take a look for an outdoor range in your area to burn them off. Most indoor ranges don't let anyone shoot steel case at all in my experience.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Congrats on a superb choice for your first gun. Be sure to get some training and learn the four rules of gun safety.

I have shot that ammo in my Sig 2022 and other than some of the rounds being underpowered (I actually caught a round in a plastic coke bottle one time) it did OK. I would not recommend it for any striker fired guns they tend to use harder primers and the captive firing pin broke on my 24/7. Personally I won't buy it again for pistols, but if you can find a place to let you shoot it use it up. The 92 should handle it fine. JMO Do clean it real good after using it though since that Russian ammo can be dirty.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome to the guns family and Taurus in particular! See very few complaints about the PT-92, big fans of this pistol here. Don't worry about the steel case ammo, not sure where you are, but some ranges will let you fire, you'll eventually go through it. You gots to take what you get nowadays.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts