Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Georgia. This is my first CCW permit. I am 40 and have been shooting for about 10 years, on and off. I finally got off my duff and went down to the courthouse this past monday. Filled out a short form, answered a few questions, got finger printed, paid my $40. Took me about 15 minutes. The clerk was very friendly. She told me it would take about 10 days to 12 days before it would arrive in the mail.

Today, 6 days later, I went to the mail box and there was an envelope from probate court. Inside was my concealed carry license. :)

I can't believe they got my license to me within a week. I love the county where I live here in Georgia. Each county has different guidelines as far as how long it takes. Obviously, I live in an efficient, pro-gun county. :D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wow.. nice.. congrats.

in my state you have to take a 12 hour course.. 10 hours classroom study and 2 hours range time..

i've not looked to deeply into it yet but i think prices range for around 160 for the whole shebang..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's well worth it, IMO. The main reason I decided to get mine is, I read the laws of my state. If I absent mindedly stored my weapon under my car seat or something not prescribed by GA law as being "lawful", then I or anyone in GA without a CCW permit could be in big trouble. Another example, if I have a loaded weapon in my glove box and I drive to school to pick up my daughter, then I am committing a crime in Georgia. If I have the CCW, then it is lawful as long as it is inside the vehicle. The CCW simply decriminalizes a lot of stuff in reference to transporting my weapons back and forth in my vehicle. Plus, I intend to conceal carry now that I have the license.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congratulations. I got mine in June. Me and the missus are RVers and we went to New England last September. I am not as agile as I once was and with bear and moose in some of the areas we went to and plan to go to in the future I wanted to be able to protect my wife and I from harm. Then there are the rest areas and Wal Marts we camp in when traveling. Some wild animals attack there as well so I wanted to cover both bears and buicks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the license. Here in Kansas, I took the required class the 2nd month that it was available and it took about 4-5 weeks to get the ok, then I had to go to the local drivers license renewal stop and get the actual license. Now the wait is much shorter because the state has pretty much caught up on the back log. The main reason I got mine was so I could be legal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good to hear about other first time ccw's. It's been a learning process for me. I have purchased two holsters, one IWB and one shoulder holster. I have concealed carry with both of them at different times in the past couple of days. I am training myself to get used to it. The shoulder rig seems more comfortable to me, but it has limitations (must wear jacket).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny... I, too, am 40 and applied for my carry permit about 2 weeks ago. Should be receiving it any day now. I also just got my Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. Still can't wear it until I get the permit, but am looking forward to it. The only problem is that I will probably have to go out now and buy bigger pants. Jeans are kinda tight with a gun in my waistband!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually, I would love to BUY, BUY, BUY when it comes to guns and holsters, but with 4 young boys eating me out of house and home, just can't afford it! I think I will have to stick with one holster for now. The Supertuck seems to be a good one though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Firemax said:
I can't believe they got my license to me within a week.
I can't believe mine took 15 weeks. The Washtenaw County Board (Michigan) only meets once a month, and I applied too late for the October meeting. At the November meeting, I should have been approved but they needed just a little more information. Information on the final disposition of an arrest (charges were dropped) from 1966. :loco:

I got an appointment for the January meeting and told them the charges had been dropped. They wanted official records of that, even though the District Court had told me on the phone there was no way to retrieve that record. :bang:

I finally faxed them the name and number of the District Court Clerk who laughed at me :'( and then said that records before 1974 had been physically destroyed. I picked up my permit today. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here in MO you have to take a class and have range time then fill out the application and wait. Can't beleive you got it so fast. BTW haven't taken mine yet waiting for the weather to warm up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
heyyodaddio said:
Funny... I, too, am 40 and applied for my carry permit about 2 weeks ago. Should be receiving it any day now. I also just got my Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. Still can't wear it until I get the permit, but am looking forward to it. The only problem is that I will probably have to go out now and buy bigger pants. Jeans are kinda tight with a gun in my waistband!
Ha, ha.... yep... I found that out the first day I carried IWB. I wore a pair of jeans that have become a little tight on me and with the gun and holster tucked in my waist band.... much too tight.

The other consideration I have found is that I will need to purchase some new shirts that I can wear un-tucked. I didn't realize how few shirts I have that I can actually wear untucked until I started to conceal carry.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chad_rn said:
Here in MO you have to take a class and have range time then fill out the application and wait. Can't beleive you got it so fast. BTW haven't taken mine yet waiting for the weather to warm up.
I guess I am fortunate to live where I do in regard to conceal carry. When I got my license in the mail, they included some pro-gun owner literature plus some other info about Georgia law. I noticed that Georgia and Missouri recently agreed on reciprocity. I think Georgia just agreed with Oklahoma also. Funny though, we do not have reciprocity with South Carolina though, and that is just a 30 minute drive from where I am at. Strange how that works out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heyyodaddio said:
Actually, I would love to BUY, BUY, BUY when it comes to guns and holsters, but with 4 young boys eating me out of house and home, just can't afford it! I think I will have to stick with one holster for now. The Supertuck seems to be a good one though.
If price is a consideration for you as it is for me, there is a guy on Ebay- a seller called "holsterman6376" who has very inexpensive holsters... IWB, shoulder holsters... the works. His shipping is only like $6.00. The holsters are nylon with velcro.... nothing fancy, but, hey, they work great for me. I bought 1 IWB and 1 shoulder holster for less than $35.00 for both + $11.00 for shipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Minnesota so i got the Utah ccw permit. It is honored in 33 states. 4 hours class @ $70.00 fingerprinted and photos at the class @ 35.00 (did it there for convience instead of going to the police. 63.25 to the state of Utah. the permit is good for 5 years with a 10 renewal fee. total cost 168.25

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
paul_bunyun007 said:
I live in Minnesota so i got the Utah ccw permit. It is honored in 33 states. 4 hours class @ $70.00 fingerprinted and photos at the class @ 35.00 (did it there for convience instead of going to the police. 63.25 to the state of Utah. the permit is good for 5 years with a 10 renewal fee. total cost 168.25
33 states. That's pretty good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts