Taurus Firearm Forum banner

My first AR15

4K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  ICUKev 
#1 ·
Went and picked it up from my FFL dealer yesterday, can't wait to hit the range with it. It's a Ruger MPR with the Romeo 5 red dot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Congratulations of the new smoke pole. They are probably the most addictive firearm that I know of. Those rounds go through that gun like ....well you get the picture. Looking forward to the range report and the description of the grin that won't leave your face.

#7 ·
Haha yeah me too!!! FedEx just delivered my rifle case today, now I'm all set. Probably gonna go buy a few more 100 round boxes of ammo at Academy Sports. Since this is my first time buying .223/5.56 ammo I paid $35 for a box of 100 federal american eagle which seems decent but I don't know. Also what type of self defense ammo do you guys use?

#11 ·
Haha yeah me too!!! FedEx just delivered my rifle case today, now I'm all set. Probably gonna go buy a few more 100 round boxes of ammo at Academy Sports. Since this is my first time buying .223/5.56 ammo I paid $35 for a box of 100 federal american eagle which seems decent but I don't know. Also what type of self defense ammo do you guys use?

I've not considered SD ammo for mine, I've only purchased maybe a couple of dozen factory rounds preferring to load my own using 55 grain FMJ and H335 powder. If the need arose, those rounds would work fine in self defense. It would be a choice to use farther down the list with my handguns and Maverick 88 being first choices, although the capacity is a definite plus in that job.

#13 · (Edited)
Sierra Varmint, Hornady Varmint or SP, M855 Penetrators — there are SO many good rounds and weights. Some are special purpose - others are great versatile projectiles.

If there is not a dedicated book on the topic, there should be!!

Consider use & weight & twist rate when choosing. Testing is half the fun!! :cool:

Reactions: darbo
#14 ·
Welcome to the Dark Side! :devil: Hope you have a full bank account to decorate and feed your new Echo Bravo Romeo! :rofl:

Seriously though, Ruger makes one fine rifle. I have their piston versions and love the reliability.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Just got back from the range and ran 200 rounds flawlessly through the AR and 100 rounds through my XD-E. Got it dialed in pretty good at 25 yards, but this weekend I'll be going to a different range that has 100 yard indoor range. This was my first time zeroing a red dot so it took a while. Today was ladies Wednesday also so it was only $7 total for me and my wife [emoji16]

#18 ·
You'll be good on paper at the longer distance, may only have to dial it a tad. That's a great deal on the range, wish I had one like that around here. What did your wife think of the carbine?

Reactions: AbaddonRain
#23 ·
Congrats. Now, you are officially tacticool! :laugh: I got my M4 just before the election just KNOWING the beast was going to win the election. Well, I have shot it quite a bit since and killed a deer with it last fall, but the new sorta wore off and I don't shoot it all that much on my rifle range anymore. But, that's mostly because I've been messing with various handguns and it's HOT out there lately! Last I fired it was maybe 3 months ago. It's a Bushmaster M4.

The Ruger looks nice! I'm a Ruger fanboy, no ARs, but 9 Rugers 8 of which are handguns.

Reactions: AbaddonRain
#28 ·
Congrats. Maybe you remember not too long ago a guy was shooting Dallas Police officers in the streets from a parking garage. My wife and I were watching TV at the time as it happened, and when the TV cut away to not show actual cop killing. It was a chilling moment. I remember saying to my wife "I need a bigger gun" because I did not own any rifles. She looked me in the eye and said, "Get one". I immediately went online and ordered an Armalite Eagle-15.

I am also considering the Romeo-5 simply because it has a motion sensor that automatically turns it on and off.

#31 ·
I just saw the new NRA ad this morning for the first time. It sketches it out quite succinctly.

#29 ·
LOL, when the terror attack happened down the road in Chattanooga at the Federal compound, my wife said, "You need more ammo."

Reactions: Czechbikr and darbo
#30 ·
I grew up with rifles and shotguns. My old man got me a Remington M512X .22 for my 9th birthday and I commenced terrorizing the local squirrel population immediately. :D Shot my first deer at age 11 with my grandpa's Remington M722 in .257 Roberts. He gave me that gun and his 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster when I was 16. I got my FIRST shotgun at age 7, a .410 JC Higgins pump. I really didn't hunt with it until I was 9, though, on our family afternoon dove hunts. Shot my first doves with that .410.

I didn't get my first handgun until I was 18, a Hawes single action .22/.22 mag. Long guns were for hunting, handguns were for killing people and kids just didn't need handguns. My uncle used to let me shoot his nickeled Smith and Wesson M17 K22 masterpiece, though. That's the gun I learned to shoot handguns with. I've also got my grandpa's old Smith M10. When I was growing up, rifles and shotguns were for kids to hunt with. Handguns were the forbidden fruit. :laugh:

#37 ·
Add a serger, 2 embroidery machines (6-10K ea.), 2 machines loaned to daughters, 2 others I dont know what do and thread out the wazoo (I am talking ALL the colors, shades and tints. And if you didn't know embroidery thread is different than regular thead and more $$, soooooo)

However, she says nothing about reloading equipment or supplies. And when I tell her that I'm thinking about another gun she usually asks, "What will it do that the others don't?".

My usual reply, "It makes a different size hole".

#38 ·
My wife has the Huskvarna embroidery machine, the serger, a "travel machine" that cost 700 bucks she takes to classes, AND, a $8000 long arm quilting machine. :D But, she's worth it....I guess. :rofl: Add all my guns and reloading equipment up and it wouldn't put a dent in her hardware and fabric collection, so I'm pretty safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.