1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24,500 Posts
Congrats on your new EBR

·
Super Moderator
13,777 Posts
Buy what you think is enough ammo. Then go buy that much more on your way to the range. Trust me on this.

By the way, it still won't be enough.

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
Congratulations of the new smoke pole. They are probably the most addictive firearm that I know of. Those rounds go through that gun like ....well you get the picture. Looking forward to the range report and the description of the grin that won't leave your face.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha yeah me too!!! FedEx just delivered my rifle case today, now I'm all set. Probably gonna go buy a few more 100 round boxes of ammo at Academy Sports. Since this is my first time buying .223/5.56 ammo I paid $35 for a box of 100 federal american eagle which seems decent but I don't know. Also what type of self defense ammo do you guys use?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Buy what you think is enough ammo. Then go buy that much more on your way to the range. Trust me on this.

By the way, it still won't be enough.
^^^this^^^ LOL

Congrats on your new EBR! Now the antis will be talking about you! The 5.56 AR is truly just a ton of fun to shoot. Looking forward to your first range report. Have someone there to take a picture of the grin! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. Like others have said buy plenty of ammo they are addicting my first trip to the range with mine when I first got it i took 200 rounds of ammo ended up in the gun shop at range getting another 100 rounds before starting in on shooting pistols.

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
Haha yeah me too!!! FedEx just delivered my rifle case today, now I'm all set. Probably gonna go buy a few more 100 round boxes of ammo at Academy Sports. Since this is my first time buying .223/5.56 ammo I paid $35 for a box of 100 federal american eagle which seems decent but I don't know. Also what type of self defense ammo do you guys use?

I've not considered SD ammo for mine, I've only purchased maybe a couple of dozen factory rounds preferring to load my own using 55 grain FMJ and H335 powder. If the need arose, those rounds would work fine in self defense. It would be a choice to use farther down the list with my handguns and Maverick 88 being first choices, although the capacity is a definite plus in that job.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Sierra Varmint, Hornady Varmint or SP, M855 Penetrators — there are SO many good rounds and weights. Some are special purpose - others are great versatile projectiles.

If there is not a dedicated book on the topic, there should be!!

Consider use & weight & twist rate when choosing. Testing is half the fun!! :cool:

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side! :devil: Hope you have a full bank account to decorate and feed your new Echo Bravo Romeo! :rofl:

Seriously though, Ruger makes one fine rifle. I have their piston versions and love the reliability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from the range and ran 200 rounds flawlessly through the AR and 100 rounds through my XD-E. Got it dialed in pretty good at 25 yards, but this weekend I'll be going to a different range that has 100 yard indoor range. This was my first time zeroing a red dot so it took a while. Today was ladies Wednesday also so it was only $7 total for me and my wife

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
You'll be good on paper at the longer distance, may only have to dial it a tad. That's a great deal on the range, wish I had one like that around here. What did your wife think of the carbine?

Reactions: AbaddonRain

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
You'll be good on paper at the longer distance, may only have to dial it a tad. That's a great deal on the range, wish I had one like that around here. What did your wife think of the carbine?
That was my first question after reading his range report.

As for your earlier question about SD ammo I load my own and decided on using the Sierra 65grain Gameking for the projectile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife didn't want to touch it lol. She's just getting comfortable with handguns but she loved the XD-E though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts