Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface that by saying he wants to buy a boat, he has 2 picked out and he wants me to choose between the 2 because my wife and I are going to be the only people that use it.

So, new 16 foot pontoon boat, both have 40hp out board, trolling motor up front, fish finder and 2 live wells.

Only difference is one has swivel fishing chairs up front near the trolling motor and one has two swivel chars at the back and bench seats up front near the trolling motor.

I’m leaning towards the first because: easier to operate the trolling motor.

Both seat 7.

Thoughts?

Fishing off a pontoon boat?

Free boat?

Dedicated to a Texas lake, or other lakes not a bay boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,817 Posts
It really boils down to which you're more comfortable with. I know most fishermen prefer to have a swivel seat near the trolling motor so they can get better control but ultimately it's up to you and your FIL.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
I believe I'd want the swivel seats near the trolling motor. Not a regular thing but I've fished from a pontoon a few times and always from the front. However, I've never trolled from one. :smile:...free is cool! :huh:...still doin' the kayak?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You could also navigate a river pretty well with a pontoon boat. Not much draft -- good clearance underneath.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
:scratchchin:...seems to me there was a li'l incident loadin' kayaks once...:unsure:...I believe that's still regarded as the worst maritime disaster to ever happen on land and ya' know...:mellow:...a lake is kinda' like a big water cooler...:blink:...where's Noah when ya' need 'im?!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Free is good, take one or the other.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:scratchchin:...seems to me there was a li'l incident loadin' kayaks once...:unsure:...I believe that's still regarded as the worst maritime disaster to ever happen on land and ya' know...:mellow:...a lake is kinda' like a big water cooler...:blink:...where's Noah when ya' need 'im?!
Negative. The “incident” involved my FIL hitting a $100k dock attached to a $1 million house, messing up some trim and sailing away. All because I didn’t speak up “aren’t we approaching that dock quickly?”

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
First thing I thought of......

Sorry...

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
Negative. The “incident” involved my FIL hitting a $100k dock attached to a $1 million house, messing up some trim and sailing away. All because I didn’t speak up “aren’t we approaching that dock quickly?”

When I was about 5 or 6, I was riding with my Dad in his boom truck to pick something up. He had to back into a big garage-like building but the doorway was so narrow, we had to pull the mirrors in to get inside. He had me watch my side out of the back window as we were backing in and just about a foot from the doorway, he asked if it was all clear. I said "Yeah...but there's just one thing..."...:mellow:...then a loud crunch. The "just one thing", was that the boom was about 6" higher than the doorway. :sad:...he never let me forget that.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
When I was about 5 or 6, I was riding with my Dad in his boom truck to pick something up. He had to back into a big garage-like building but the doorway was so narrow, we had to pull the mirrors in to get inside. He had me watch my side out of the back window as we were backing in and just about a foot from the doorway, he asked if it was all clear. I said "Yeah...but there's just one thing..."...:mellow:...then a loud crunch. The "just one thing", was that the boom was about 6" higher than the doorway. :sad:...he never let me forget that.

Oh, yeah...it's the 5 year old's fault. That will totally fly. With nobody.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
A couple of things.

First, I'd take that bench seat up front. I don't know what your plans are, but me, a boat with a bench seat, and a drop-dead gorgeous wife out alone on a lake....well I'll leave it at that.

Second, how well do you get along with her dad? I've seen a Lifetime movie (or was it Hallmark?) like this. Father-in-law buys boat, takes son-in-law on fishing trip, father-in-law comes back alone.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple of things.

First, I'd take that bench seat up front. I don't know what your plans are, but me, a boat with a bench seat, and a drop-dead gorgeous wife out alone on a lake....well I'll leave it at that.

Second, how well do you get along with her dad? I've seen a Lifetime movie (or was it Hallmark?) like this. Father-in-law buys boat, takes son-in-law on fishing trip, father-in-law comes back alone.
Won’t happen because then he’d have to support her.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
916 Posts
25 years on Marine Division,Our vessel were starting with my favorite DOLPHIN ,Center Console with twin 175 HP O/B ,Mako Center Console with 175 single O/B , Boston Wahler with 175 H/P Center Console Great for running atlantic and North Shore Bays and rivers,Caught many a Shellfish/Lobster Poacher ! For the calm Lakes and rivers a Pontoon has its comfort but don't expect to out manueuver or out race all of the vessels I posted. But Free is free and what they say is true,A Boat is a hole in the water you will pour money into. Congrats

·
Registered
14,817 Posts
Another option would be to drop one of those mini-houses on it and making it a hunting/fishing lodge.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Makes for a plausible alibi as to how you lost so many guns in a boating mishap.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must have seen a different movie. In the one I saw, there was a big life insurance policy!
I don’t have one of those

1 - 20 of 46 Posts