Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an older S&W Model 29 6" maybe a year ago. The store only had one box of .44 mag, so I bought it. It was Privi Partizan.

I took it to the range, and after the first shot - my first ever from a .44 magnum - I thought to myself, "What have I got myself INTO???" I thought the gun would blow apart.

Somehow - don't remember how - I came to learn that not all cartridges were created equal. PP was, I assumed, at or near the top of the stack.

Today I stumbled onto a website that had a chart for lots of different cartridges from lots of different manufacturers. I compared the .44 mag PP to others. Although the list didn't cover every line, was still interesting to note that there was only 1 manufactured cartridge on that list w/comparable muzzle velocity/energy - Buffalo Bore +P.

There was an interesting cartridge w/ a muzzle energy of 1445 and muzzle velocity of 2430, but it had a 110gr bullet.

Here's a bit of PP's specs:

240 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 1541 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1272 FT LBS

·
Administrator
39,728 Posts
I’ve notice pretty much the same thing shooting .357mag. made by Privi Partizan. Seems noticeably hotter, but shoots very well. Has a distinctive smell when fired too.:)

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
The Privi Partizan loads are a great load in .38 special and .357 Magnum, and are marketed in brass cased rounds by Academy Sports as their Monarch Brand. You get rounds that really go bang for sure, at a reasonable price. As Smokewagon mentioned, the smell is akin to burning armpit hair. No, I've never lit the hairs in my underarm, but am sure that is what it would smell like. They are manufactured in Serbia, and I never had any desire to date a Serbian Woman as a result.

When you could still find the .357 Mag 158 grain Hollowpoints at Academy, they were only $23.97 a box of 50. Great price for a great defensive round.

I stocked up on a number of boxes of these in both .38 special and .357 when they were priced at $16.97 and $18.97 a few years back.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
The Privi Partizan loads are a great load in .38 special and .357 Magnum, and are marketed in brass cased rounds by Academy Sports as their Monarch Brand. You get rounds that really go bang for sure, at a reasonable price. As Smokewagon mentioned, the smell is akin to burning armpit hair. No, I've never lit the hairs in my underarm, but am sure that is what it would smell like. They are manufactured in Serbia, and I never had any desire to date a Serbian Woman as a result.

When you could still find the .357 Mag 158 grain Hollowpoints at Academy, they were only $23.97 a box of 50. Great price for a great defensive round.

I stocked up on a number of boxes of these in both .38 special and .357 when they were priced at $16.97 and $18.97 a few years back.
...seems a bit short sighted. She may come with an unlimited supply of ammo and you just cast the idea aside. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I am sure it is loaded to CIP standards which are a bit higher pressure than SAAMI.
never shot the privi in anything except 380-9 MM-45 that I can remember?
I find that several of the foreign made ammo are stouter, like GECO and even Aquila and S & B in many cases.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I am sure it is loaded to CIP standards which are a bit higher pressure than SAAMI.
never shot the privi in anything except 380-9 MM-45 that I can remember?
I find that several of the foreign made ammo are stouter, like GECO and even Aquila and S & B in many cases.
Fiocchi is usually hotter than those you named!

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've used Privi Partizan for years. Their 124gr 9mm might as well as say NATO spec. 10mm is near full power.

They make nice hunting ammo for 6.5 x 55, 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 x 54(my Sako made M39 loves this stuff). It's all brass boxer primed and reloads nice.

Maloy

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Well it's a 44 magnum! LOLOL What, the forth most powerful handgun cartridge? LOLOL

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
Ahhhh, I remember when I discovered the joy of shooting real ammo made in Europe and Eastern Asia that is made to full specs instead of the watered down stuff made in America.

I am particularly fond of Sellier & Bellot 124 g FMJ 9mm.

I also like S & B .357 magnum 158 gr SJFP. It packs a punch!

Reactions: jwc007

·
8,545 Posts
1541 FPS with a 240 grain pill is quite a wrist knocker, and something I wouldn't shoot in anything smaller than my 6" Raging Bull. My reloads with 240grn pills run about 1300 FPS out of that 6" barrel. I do have a bear load which is a 300 grn XTP which runs about 1100 out of the raging bull, and 1350 out of my 16" Rossi lever gun. I actually get a good push to my shoulder with the lever gun using that load. Normal 44 mag is a pussycat out of it however. My loading manuals have loads listed even hotter including 1500 FPS with that pill. So I think it is probably in spec.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I've noticed the PP and other foreign ammo is rather stout.

I guess US companies pinch grains of powder trying to save money.

·
22,309 Posts
...or their lawyers think it will prevent lawsuits.

I've been very pleased with the S&B ammo I've shot.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Fiocchi is usually hotter than those you named!
yea fiocchi is another one that is a bit hot, course I find that the American Produced isn't/doesn't seem quite as hot a the furren made ammo by Fiocchi.
maybe its just my imagination, and honestly I seldom shoot any manufactures ammo except olfarhors muntions company.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've noticed the PP and other foreign ammo is rather stout.

I guess US companies pinch grains of powder trying to save money.
Shrinkflation - they're milking the ammo for all the money they can get by reducing the loads, or reformulating the powder used for lower production costs.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Shrinkflation - they're milking the ammo for all the money they can get by reducing the loads, or reformulating the powder used for lower production costs.
I think the slow sales on many of the harsher recoiling calibers, leads manufacturers to tame the beast some. I see a lot of very slightly used 44 mags in shops.

I bought a used 4-1/2" 44 Blackhawk and a Model 69 Combat Magnum, that didn't look like anyone had fired a full cylinder.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I would like to see proof of that.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Yea just guessing but i would venture to say that right now Ammo manufactures aren't hurting for profits!
lets remember that typically they either produce or buy their powder in huge lots to help with consistent loads, and usually its an ongoing process in the supply chain., same with the other components as well.

Reactions: MoKen
1 - 18 of 18 Posts