Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from shooting this afternoon, and shot like sh%*, but all in all I would have to say it was pretty productive. I even learned a couple things. 1. I need to practice a lot more with those novac sights (or change them out) before I try and shoot any type of competition, I put all my rounds in center-mass, but they are all over the place. 2. The LEOs in this town don't reload.

I shoot a police range outside of town here, I have to sign in and out at the police station...no biggie. As I was policing up my brass I noticed that there was an abundant amount of 40 S&W brass laying around. So as I was picking up my .45s, I decided I would start picking up the .40s that I found just for giggles and grins. I probably spent the better part of an hour walking back and forth picking up brass. Long story short, I ended up with about a box worth of .40s and about 25 extra .45s.

I am not set up for reloading .40 S&W (yet) but since the brass was free I figured what the hell. I am starting to think about a carry pistol anyways, and I haven't completely ruled out the 40 cal. Plus I have a couple of friends that shoot that cartrige. I figure if I go to the range every couple weeks, I will find enough brass to justify buying a new set of dies in no time. Free is within my measly budget. I also won't limit myself to just one caliber just to save a few bucks on reloading supplies. Anybody know of a good CC .40 that I might start looking at? LOL:)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Here's the one I EDC for concealed carry and it's an all-around winner in my book!

Taurus PT740 Slim .40 S&W

Lightweight, compact, slim, accurate at self-defense distances, comfortable recoil, and 110% reliable!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ruger SR40c!! I have the 9c & they're twins & I've shot both!! Excellent carry gun!!!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have the 27/7 G2, some think it is a little on the large side for CCW but with my Tommy Theis holster it really is not visible at all. If you know it is there you can just barely see the small bump from the bottom of the magazine/grip. There are a lot of options out there though.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The local police shoot at the club range up here and they too don't pick up their brass, when they get done you usually have the range to yourself so it is like heaven for somebody shooting 45ACP.

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
I am not set up for reloading .40 S&W (yet) but since the brass was free I figured what the hell. I am starting to think about a carry pistol anyways, and I haven't completely ruled out the 40 cal. Plus I have a couple of friends that shoot that cartrige. I figure if I go to the range every couple weeks, I will find enough brass to justify buying a new set of dies in no time. Free is within my measly budget.
Congrats on getting in a range day! Once you start scrounging brass you will end up with a bunch of every caliber. Collect a bunch of .40 cal and either save it for the time you'll add the caliber or swap it out for the .45 ACP your are currently shooting with someone who is short of .40 caliber. You can get a lot of brass in those "if it fits, it ships" USPS Priority Parcel boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts