Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for one of these in vain when they were introduced and offered for their short market history. I finally found one a couple of years ago and it became a daily pocket carry (actually knocking a Rohrbaugh R9s out of that role).

I've been pleased with the little revolver and it has been very comfortable to carry -- usually in a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster, although I do have a nice Matt Delfatti leather pocket holster for "dress up" occassions.

Since taking the above photo, I changed from the Pow'Rball ammo to DPX ammo -- and fpr the past few months, I've been carrying Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ ammo exclusively (quite the little hand cannon with that stuff!).

As you can see, the best way I've found to carry reloads for the 905 revolvers -- is to "nest" them together. Although I've heard complaints about the moon clips, I've never had one shed a round or become distorted/damaged while carrying in the front pocket like this. Chances are that I'll never need (or have time for) a reload -- but it is reassuring to me to have a couple...

I ran across another one of these little titanium IB revolvers this week during business travels. I didn't buy it on the spot, but I'm tempted to return for it -- just to have a spare.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Nice find. Something to keep in mind is that the Ranger 127gr +P+ is known to be hard on service pistols so your IB might not last for years and years with the stuff. Then again it might be just fine, there isn't much data out there on the longevity of the 9mm revolvers.

Steelheart

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran a few cylinders of the +P+ to test function. It will not get a steady diet of the stuff -- just carrying it in case the revolver is emplyed for self defense.

Any range work will be with either American Eagle or WWB.

Of course, that's another good reason to go pick up the second titanium IB 905 I found... :D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
:thumb: :guns:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
flyandscuba said:
Just another shameless picture -- with the Delfatti leather... :D

On www.taurusarmed.net we have a great appreciation for pics, shameless or otherwise. :D

Thanks for taking the time to share your 905 with us. And while I've not used the Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ ammo yet, I think I may in the future. Currently my 9mms are stoked with 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had a few questions regarding the size of this Instant Backup revolver -- in terms of how it compares to the size of the Taurus 85. So, I tried as best I can to illustrate the differences in the photos below.

As you can see, not only is the cylinder shorter (just long enough for the 9mm round) but the frame is also shorter near the crane. These small but noticable differences - combined with the weight savings of titanium construction - make this Instant Backup 9mm revolver the most pocket-worthy full power revolver ever produced by Taurus.

I only regret that they chose to discontinue the model before many made it to market (at least in the US).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice pictures and explanations. The nesting you show combined with tweaking the clips solved all of my loose cartridge problems. I have a 905 in SS with the CTC grips and it fits my hand nicely. Did you pick up that other 905 or is it still out there?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nice Little Hot Rod you got there...<:))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts