Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I tried searching but I'm not sure what I am looking for exactly. My dad is looking for a 1911 the only thing he told me was... he wants these things

1. under 400 bucks NIB
2. Blue finish
3. .45 if possable but 9mm would be ok
4. does not have to have anything fancy at all (ambi safty, beaver tail, checkering, light trigger pull) or any of that stuff
5. where to buy the darn thing(if its online post up a link, if its a store post up the name where they sell them)

This may sound easy to find but he wants something that he is not going to have to spend more on for it to "fire" everytime he pulls the trigger

He is more interested in the gun going bang everytime then all the fancy extras that alot of 1911's come with.

If you have any questions to help me search around please ask and Ill pass the question on to him and post a reply

This is going to be an excuse to go to the range with his son pistol and it will not be his carry or SD or even bed side gun.

I think the only reason he said he wanted a 1911 is becuase thats what he had in the Army years and years ago So the more MilSpec or less the pistol is the more I'm sure he will like it .. as long as it works haha

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Not sure about the sub-$400 part but (not counting the Taurus version) I'd lean towards either a Springfield GI close or a Mil-spec (with the MS having better sights).

Otherwise maybe a new Auto Ordance. Remember that AO has been owned by Kahr for a few years. I'm expecting the quality to have improved years back. But then again, the 10mm AO I had 10+ years ago ran fine.

If he's just looking for a shooter, you could look for a Charles Daley or an Armscor (same factory in the Phillippiness). I don't know if I would trust it to cover my butt without swapping out some/many internals but for a fun/range gun, sure.

I'm not listing the PT1911 as I'm not sure on its track record longterm. Then again, there is the warrenty.

As far as a place to buy from, Gunbroker or GunsAmerica might be places to start. Just remember that you will have shipping and an FFL fee in addition to the gun price. Around here I've seen FFL fees anywhere from $15 to $40.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I think If I can hold him off from buying the Springfield Mil-Spec at Academy with in the next 2 weeks I might surprise him with a PT1911 once I get my profite sharing money. I own a Pt1911 a put well over 3000 rounds down range with it and not one single problem ever. I know he likes mine and shoots it really well so hopefully I can hold him off on buying anything and I'll get him a PT1911 like mine

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have heard good things about the PT1911. However, I would probably recommend the SA GI 1911. Those are good guns...

Todd

·
Registered
111 Posts
Try Rock Island Armory usually runs in the 350.00 range. Ihave 3 of them bought them from Southern Ohio Gun in 2004 and I can't tell you the 1000's of rounds thru all of them and no failures to speak of, my only complaint are with the sights they are orig GI and I filed out the rear notch a tad to open it up and it works just FINE. Not only that but it accepts all GI parts with ease.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Standard also makes a 1911 that I've seen around $370-$420 range. If it shoots like their 22s it would be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
34,959 Posts
If I ever do the 1911 thing again, it'll likely be a Taurus. I got burned on an AMT and an Auto Ordinance. These were the first two center fire autos I ever owned and probably the last 1911s I'll own. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the PT1911, though. Hopefully, it'll feed hollowpoints. Both my other 1911s needed work to feed ANYthing reliably and never did feed hollow points.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think since Kimber started up the base level of quality in 1911s hase gone up. They raised the bar back then, kind of like what Taurus did a while back to the rest of the market (especially the revolver arena). My 10 yr old Kimber has fed everything. But then again, I might have gotten lucky.

Steelheart

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont know if my opinion hold's any weight on this matter but please allow me to express it. 1911 1911 why doe's everyone want a 1911? Everyone I have delt with is like carrying or holding a brick and it makes, imo, a very un-concealeable and heavy gun to carry.
I have personnely sold 5 PT 24/7's within the last week to people who either wanted a 1911 or a Glock etc etc after letting them hold and feel both gun's. The feel and being comfortable with the gun has won them over 5 out of 5 time's, they cannot put down the PT!

Gregg

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and bought my Dad the PT1911 just like mine. Took it to the range today and it fed everything we put in it with out one single problem just like I knew it would. FMJ, JHP +P it took it all. I sure cant wait for the stainless model to come out!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'll say that I bought my Kimber when I was younger and much less knowledgeable. But they do feel nice in the hand. As far concealment, they are slimmer than many other guns so it makes your life a little easier. You do need a good holster to deal with the weight of the steel frame. But in some ways it carries easier than my 3" XD, but some of that could be the different style holsters.

I'll put it another way, if I HAD to bring a handgun (vs avoiding the whole thing or bringing a long gun) to a fight and could chose from not only what I currently own but everything I've owned so far I would still pick my Kimber. It hits well and uses a proven cartridge with the barrel length that will get the job done, providing I do my part. I'm out of practice now with the manual safety but I still don't get anything that might be used for social work that works the other way (passed on a Ruger P89 today with a manual safety for $240, if it had the Decocker I might have got it). For many people the 1911 family points nice and the trigger is easy to work if you know to keep your finger off it until needed.

A drawback to a 1911 is what most companies want for them. For the price of a low end 1911 you can get service pistol. By the time you get to the mid to moderately high end you can have 2 pistols. And you may still have to mess with it to make it run nice, but this is unlikely anymore.

But yes, they're not for everyone and I don't recommend them for a first pistol.

And I feel that anyone may state their opinions as long as it presented in a constructive manner and they are being civil.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
MPanova said:
I went ahead and bought my Dad the PT1911 just like mine. Took it to the range today and it fed everything we put in it with out one single problem just like I knew it would. FMJ, JHP +P it took it all. I sure cant wait for the stainless model to come out!
Hope you guys have fun with it. I've head of a PT1911 in Michigan thats a Range Gun. It eats anything and chews the center of the target out. I'm hoping that it runs well as that will be a good test with all the abuse rental guns get.

Steelheart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts