Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first started carrying a little over 3 years ago. My first gun was a PT145. I loved the gun, but I was paranoid about being "made". My initial solution was SmartCarry. It worked great, and I bought several of them (to carry other guns and rotate so they dried out during summer carry). I bought a Crossbreed Supertuck to use when I was not worried about being made, and carried with that more and more as I got comfortable. I bought several guns (some bigger and some smaller) for all sorts of situations. About 3 months ago I had a situation that showed me that SC was great for concealment, but not so great for very quick access under duress (no matter how much I practiced and told myself that it was "just as fast").

I won't go into the details of the situation here, because they are not nearly as important as the lesson I learned. I learned that you need several options for each hand that are redily accessible, and I mean split-second redily available. In my situation, by the time I could have counted "one-thousand-one" out loud my opportunity to do anything about what was happening was pretty much gone, and my "strong hand" was of no use to me due to how I was postitioned at the time. It turned out ok and no one was hurt, but it was incredible how fast (yet slow in some ways) that it went down.

I knew that I had to get a better solution for my everday situation, which is a professional office environment (dress slacks, shirt, and tie). I asked a question to this forum back in October about how to make the CBST more "invisible", and I recieved some great advice. I started by carrying my PF9, and no one notied. Then I switched to my PT145, and no one noticed. For the past 3 weeks straight I have been carrying my favorite gun (OSS 45) everyday/allday and no one notices a thing. I guess I shouldn't say that my OSS is my "favorite" gun, because if I had to choose to only keep one of my guns the last one standing would be my PT92.

Thanks to the help I have recieved here (both to my direct questions and reading posts from others) I can now carry my favorite primary (OSS 45), my favorite BUG (Keltec P32), a flashlight (which doubles as a small blunt force persuader), and a pocket knife all at the same time very confident in my concealment and my options should the need arise. This is a great forum! Thank you TaurusArmed.net!

Reactions: ozzy

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I'm glad that everything worked for you.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It is somewhat astonishing how ignorant most people are to a concealed weapon. When I go out and about I like to play a little game called "spot the concealed weapon". I'll tell me fiance I'm 90% positive a certain person is carrying and she'll look surprised and say where, how do you know. Most people are floating in lala land and don't even understand what's going on around them.

I'm glad you are comfortable and secure in your daily carry life. Good for you!

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I whole heartedly believe you could carry a cannon concealed and no one would notice. People are so caught up in their own world that they don't have a clue as to what's going on around them. That brings up my next point. The way to spot people carrying concealed is, they are the only one's in public that are aware of what's going on around them.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Being confident that your handgun is going to function properly should you ever need to retrieve it and defend yourself, coupled with having a secure feeling about your carry rig frees one up to concentrate on his/her situational awareness.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
My wife and I often play that "spot the folks carrying" game. You can tell the newbies and the uncomfortable, because they will constantly be hitching their belt, hugging their elbows into their body, brushing the location - all because they feel just a bit insecure about it. I know this because I did it too, until it became second nature. It takes a ggod many hours of secure carrying in all kinds of enviuronments t get over it, We both went through the evolutions.

There are people we see who print a bit, but they generally seem very comfortable and matter-of-fact with it. Pennsylvania LEO's (generally) don't appear too inclined to bother you because the "License To Carry Firearms" does not specify "concealed" so printing, though it is generally a give-away, is not illegal.

IWB and a tight belt makes what I generally carry (a KelTec P-11) kind of "blend into the blubber", as Mrs. Flash so graciously puts it, that even my hoplophobic brother cannot spot it under a light sportshirt.

A couple of times in public, there have been men whom I have spotted as carriers look me directly in the eye and nod and grin, so I guess it might show to the astute observer in some way. But basically, I am in agreement with you guys, in that I think the general populace has not even the foggiest notion (and that ain't a bad thing).

Flash

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I conceal, I carry, I probably print sometimes but most folks probably think it's a I-something device, don't overthink it. Ive never been busted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank god that inadvertent reveal and/or print is legal in Florida.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is a great post! My personal best is 7 handguns at once. 2 in shoulder holsters, 4 in IWB and 1 in pocket. That was using a vest and coat. The S$W mod 29 .44 mag 6" in shoulder holster needed a coat. Now that I'm back to it I feel insecure with my PF9 and the PT145 feels large! I'll have to get used to it all over. I use a King Tuk, belt slide, pancake and Remora IWB. The PF9 fits a short barrel 1911 King Tuk like glove! That you hardly know it's on.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Fortunately Minnesota's permit is a "Carry Permit" and does not require concealed carry, but I prefer not to open carry. Why upset somebody or give the BG an obvious warning? Therefore I usually opt for a shoulder holster, OWB cross-draw, or OWB strong side ( I wear a vest 98% of the time ). I feel that the cross-draw is the best way to carry in a vehicle for accessability. JMHO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts