Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I shoot about 6 rounds out of my gun. The first two went fine, about the third one failure to extract. Removed mag and case a loaded again same thing. Once more same thing, Once again. Inspected the gun and find the extractor hook broken off. End of the shooting section. I was shooting my SA 80 Mauser 9mm(copy of HP)before that, So not a total waste of time. My gun is over a year old, free shipping no more, so I called Taurus CS to see if I could order the part and install it myself. Susan from CS reasearched and is sending me the part for free, I think I am handy and can install it myself and save $70.00 Fedex shipping charges. The part is only $4.00. I was a little dissapointed due to broken barrel, trigger and now the extractor. The other thing is, I was CC this particular gun last weekend. This gun has over 900 rounds thru it. See pics. Anyone else had this problem? Crap!

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Ouch!

No, I've not had that problem.

I did return my TCP after it was a year old when the slide began locking back after every shot. After about 8 weeks, Taurus replaced the pistol with a new one.

I lost confidence in the little pistol after that experience, so I traded the new TCP for a matte stainless revolver at the LGS.

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you load a round directly into the chamber? meaning dropping a round into the chamber and letting the slide slam on it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
interesting. it's the first time i'v seen anyone mention a broken extractor on one of these, gotta think it's a fluke.

on a side note, how do you remove the extractor?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
44wcf
Under the slide there are two holes. A small hole seems to be there to allow gunk or excesss oil to flush out or to prevent hydraulic lock from under the extractor. The bigger hole towards the rear of the slide is were you insert a punch to push/hold in place the detent (I am using the term). This part has a matching hole for the punch. Then you wiggle the extractor out. I think the reverse procedure will be more troublesome. Because I will have to push the detent in agaist the spring until the hole in the detent aligns with the hole in the slide in order to hold the detent in the right position with the punch. The extractor spring is a strong one. I tinkering about what kind of tool to use. I still waiting for the extractor from Taurus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You take good pictures. I'd appreciate it if you would take pics of your installation process if you haven't done it yet.
I just replaced extractors in two different guns. Both were easier than I figured but getting one of the springs loaded and getting the pin back in took many tries. Just take your time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sig239
Thanks about the pics. Bad news is I called Taurus yesterday because the part had not arrived yet. I was told they ran out and it was put in back order. However they released the back order and I should have the part some time next week. I try to take some pics.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Extractor came in today. I will do the replacement in a few days and post some pics. I made a tool to assist me with the installation. More to come.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All done. Will test it tomorrow. I cycled about four mag loads by hand and no problems so far. I made a tool out of an extra allen wrench I had and cut an indentation at the end with my dremel/cut wheel to match the extractor spring pin(part 19 in the parts list). If do this look a the orientation of the cut in the pic. Put the parts in the correct order and with the tool, push part 19 in until you can put the 1/16 inch punch thru the hole in the slide. Them assemble the extractor and parts and wiggle into position until it gets into place. Have to push the puch towards the front of the slide at the same time in order to have enough room for the extractor. A third hand is handy, but we only have two. I lost the tiny spring that operates the load chamber indicator in my first attemp, but I was able to find it. The extractor dropped from the slide. Here are the pics. May have to do a second post for the rest of the pics. I did not use the nails. Too short for any leverage.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tested the gun today. Shoot 103 of my reloads not a single FTE. All ejected over my head and no forehead hits. Only failure was 3 times the slide locked back with one round left in the mag with a brand new mag, same mag, this mag was a replacement mag for my gray TCP sent by Taurus when my gray TCP went back for a craked barrel and mag falling during firing a while back. I will test it with my gray TCP, if the same problem ocuurs, I will sent it back to Taurus for a replacement. Only shoot the gun with six rounds for testing, did not use 7 rounds at any time. I did diassemble the mag two times for cleaning and check for the mag spring position. The follower looks skinnier with a naked eye than the older mags I have.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Good job, I did this a couple of years ago and getting that extractor back together was a PITA. I lost that little spring too, but I had to wait a week until another arrived to get it back together. I'll have to try to make one of those special tools as I'm going to refinish the slide again. This time I think I'll just blast it and leave it, afterall it started out SS before I started modding it. The one thing I will do while it is apart is knock the edges off that loaded round indicator. It has sliced every holster I have for it, and I'm not going to worry about coloring it again, it is enough to just feel it before I put it on and know that I have one in the chamber.

·
Registered
33 Posts
44wcf
Under the slide there are two holes. A small hole seems to be there to allow gunk or excesss oil to flush out or to prevent hydraulic lock from under the extractor. The bigger hole towards the rear of the slide is were you insert a punch to push/hold in place the detent (I am using the term). This part has a matching hole for the punch. Then you wiggle the extractor out. I think the reverse procedure will be more troublesome. Because I will have to push the detent in agaist the spring until the hole in the detent aligns with the hole in the slide in order to hold the detent in the right position with the punch. The extractor spring is a strong one. I tinkering about what kind of tool to use. I still waiting for the extractor from Taurus.
Ok I've taken mine apart and of course had little springs popping all over the place good thind I did not lose one!! I got the striker back in, not knowning I did not have to take it out to replace the loaded chamber indicator which was my problem!! I am waiting on the replacement loaded chamber indicator and spring from Taurus no charge so I actually got the Extractor spring and spring pin back in place and holding with an eye glass screw driver thru the back hole on the bottom of the slide so I taped it all together and called Taurus today and they said it was in the mail!!
So hopefully now I just have to pop in the extractor with the loaded chamber indicator back with a little pressure and all is done otherwise the TCP functions with no problems just that this TCP's loaded chamber indicator did not come out at all, compared to my other TCP!!
Ck pics on my holding process!!

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some great info here, Thanks! I am going to bookmark this one for future reference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts