Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently inherited my grandfather's old m82 .38. This particular one was manufactured in 1986 according to the manufacturer's website and aside from holster wear it's in stellar shape. I'm thinking about refinishing it and getting it looking like new. Anyone else use this model? What are your thoughts on it? I'm interested in learning as much about this gun as I can!

http://i.imgur.com/R73CUMM.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Nice wheel gun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the double post, but anyone know if they make speedloaders that fit this make/model? I know it's a SW m10 clone, would one that fits that gun fit this one?

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" firearm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry about the double post, but anyone know if they make speedloaders that fit this make/model? I know it's a SW m10 clone, would one that fits that gun fit this one?
Yes, I believe the model m-10 HKS speeloader fits perfectly, and you would have to do research if you want a Safariland or other manufacturer. Congratulations, a beautiful revolver with classic lines.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I used to have an M82. It was a real tack driver. As to speed loaders, any one that's made for a k frame Smith & Wesson will work. Be warned though, revolvers are addicting!

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I have a model 82, and as near as I can tell it is the same as a model 65 but with the shorter .38spc chamber rather than the .357. The grips off my model 66 fit mine so I ordered another set from Taurus and they work excellent.

·
32,852 Posts
Very nice looking gat you got there.

Leave the finish as is since that gun has some family history.

On the other hand it is yours now and a good recoating couldn't hurt things.

There are several sponsors here at the Taurus Armed.Net forum who do a great ROBAR job.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
That sure is a beauty! I love the older Taurus revolvers from the "80s! I have a couple myself - but not one of those! enjoy shooting it in good health and I think I might jsut keep an eye out for one of those. I also vote to keep it "as is" - it's got character, but then again I don't dye my gray "highlights' either!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great six-shooter thirty8spec! You have a world-renown sixgun that is repected by many handgun shooters, law enforcement, security guards, and various Defense Forces the world wide. The Federal Police of Brazil used these same type Model 82 .38 Service Revolvers for their officers for many years of good service. I have two of these Model 82's that were once working for the Federal Police of Brazil and thankfully a lot of us bought one or two or three of these quality PD-trade-ins at a cheap price. You have a great gun with a great history! The current Model 82 is one fine service revolver with a "factory-custom" trigger-action and a four-inch fully shrouded barrel that has is accented by the Factory black rubber finger-groove grips that enhanced the grip during shooting. Your particular 82 has a wide smooth Service Trigger with a checkered Target Hammer that helps in single-action fire and the blue finish on it looks pretty good. That is how your grandfather had it, you do likewise out of remembrance of the good times you and him had together! Clean it, oil it, and shoot it! You can enjoy all three! You really received a great gift from a great man!
David

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Congratulatins on your new M-82, the Taurus answer to S&W's M-10.

Personally, I'd leave it's finish as granpa left it and enjoy it for what it is...
:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
71 Posts
strictly my opinion, you understand, but no way would i personally refinish it.the wear put there by your grandfather makes it unique to you and him alone. Those are well earned wear marks. As always , it is yours to do with as you please.
i agree!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Strictly my opinion, you understand, but no way would I personally refinish it.The wear put there by your grandfather makes it unique to you and him alone. Those are well earned wear marks. As always , it is yours to do with as you please.
These are my thoughts exactly!

Let her character continue to improve with age.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts