Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last September I picked up an ATI aluminum lower at a gun show in Houston. It was a spur of the moment buy, but when I saw it, I decided I was going to build my next AR. I bought a lower parts kit from Midway and, combined with an A2 butt stock and a Tango Down battle grip I already had, completed the lower assembly. The lower sat on my desk and in the gun safe for another month, without me doing anything else. Eventually my oldest granddaughter asked me if I was ever going to complete my rifle, so I decided to take a short cut and order a complete upper.

Initially, I was going to order a .22LR upper, but no one had any. Midway had them back ordered until May 2013, but they had a Del-Ton 20 inch barreled upper, with BCG, that was only back ordered until February (remember this was in November). I figured I could wait for a couple of months, and the whole thing was less than $400. Then in December the Sandy Hook shootings took place, and all of a sudden, the upper was back ordered till March. About the time February rolled around, The Midway website showed the upper as "unavailable, no back order". I had pretty much given up ever getting it.

Last Saturday however, I got an E-mail from Midway telling me that the order had shipped, and yesterday the UPS :partsin01: man left me a "present" (until the bill comes in). The shipping had gone up over the original invoice, but only $10. Otherwise the price didn't go up at all. For all intents and purposes I've got a new AR for less than $550.

Other internet suppliers (CTD and others) had cancelled orders that I had made, saying they were long longer available, only to show the items on the net at triple or quadruple the price. Midway kept the order and more importantly, the price, until the item came back in stock. I know that Midway gets good marks from a lot of the TA.net members, but from now on I think they'll get my business even if they're a little more expensive for an item.

As far as my rifle goes, I'll have to wait until next week to get to the range. I've got a Cub Scout camp out this weekend with my grandson. Until then I'll leave you with this picture of both my ARs. The carbine is a Bushmaster.

ATI-Del Ton & Bushmaster.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red dot for the carbine, old school for the rifle.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally had an opportunity to get my new AR to the range today. Open sights at 100 yards. I started out shooting low and left, but the grouping was good, so after playing with the sights for a couple of mags, I was on target. I had 5 full 30 round mags to shoot, and the last one was spent in "rapid fire". One shot per second. When you're doing this, an RSO will stand behind you to make sure you don't go over their 1 shot per second rule. I had a couple of FTFs, but I'm pretty sure it was my reloads causing the problem. Other than the FTFs, I'm sure that I'll have a few teething problems. A couple of hundred more rounds should break in the rifle pretty good. I'm pretty impressed that I was able to hit the target, with my 60 y-o eyes, but once the proper sight picture is established for any AR, it will pretty much shoot itself.

ATI lower with Del-Ton upper.jpg

100yd range after the storm.jpg

The range I go to was slightly flooded today. We had a gully washer roll through the Texas Gulf Coast yesterday, and I had to wade through a pond to hang my targets (brown water in front of the target post). The only reason I didn't get a picture of the target to post was due to the fact that I had already waded back and forth twice, and I didn't figure a third time was necessary. I just went off to the pistol range to shoot my PT1911.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Congratulations. Looking to do the same thing with a 6.8 SPC upper I purchased a week ago. Waiting on a tool from Brownell's!

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
View attachment 54660

The range I go to was slightly flooded today. We had a gully washer roll through the Texas Gulf Coast yesterday, and I had to wade through a pond to hang my targets (brown water in front of the target post). The only reason I didn't get a picture of the target to post was due to the fact that I had already waded back and forth twice, and I didn't figure a third time was necessary. I just went off to the pistol range to shoot my PT1911.
You'd think they'd have an airboat or hovercraft for target changing use there. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts