Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what's causing the problem but so far none of the remedies has resolved it. The mouth of the hollow points are hitting the feed ramp at too much of an oblique angle to slide up the feed ramp. I tried polishing the ramps to a nice mirror finish but the rounds are still not feeding properly. Now, I haven't tried every HP out there but I have fed my 709 a good variety of them from 115 grain to 147 HP's with similar results.

I know what you're thinking and unless someone has a different solution. I've given up using HP's in the 709 and I'm sticking with alternatives to HP's such as bullets with polymer tips like the Hornaday FTX or bullets with screw- or drill-shaped heads like the Inceptor ARX (Ruger), Novx Defender (similar to the ARX) Lehigh Xtreme and Black Hills Honey Badger (similar to the Lehigh Xtreme).

Right now, I'm carrying ARX's in my 709. One advantage over 115gr. HP's is the weight savings since the ARX bullets are 65 gr.

·
8,820 Posts
You are on the right track, look for conical hollow points. Like Hornady FTX or PMC starfire or something similar. Recently I have been discussing a new style( really old school ) with a boutique loader. 100 grain soft lead ( 12 brinnel or a bit lower ) either RN or flat point. The lead wouldn't jam up in the action, expansion would be like a blot of flattened bubble gum. We need to figure out how fast that style of bullet can go before leading. Maybe even gas checks. I hope to have something to test by Summer. Penetration testing will also be key,,If I can get up to 11 - 12" , it could be a useful SD load.

I started this journey after looking at a recently passed away loaders home made lead projectiles. He made 357/44/and 45 Colt lead projectiles partially jacketed ( about 70% up the case ). His notes say he was pushing the top end of speed for each magnum caliber. But the projectile was soft. Hmmmm..got me thinking.

·
Super Moderator
19,940 Posts
Question: is the feed ramp integral to the barrel? I'm not that familiar with the 709 series so, reason for my question. You've already found an answer with the "ballistic inserts" into the hollow spot thus changing the ogive - the geometry of the nose - to help it ride up the ramp. Also, does the magazine follower present the incoming round nose up? If the round is presented flat (parallel to the barrel and slide) the lower lip of the hollow point can get caught as it approaches the feed ramp.

·
22,836 Posts
The feed ramp is integral to the barrel, but there's some ramp built into the frame as well. Yes, I know there's a lot of drylube....

The follower gives the rounds a bit of an up angle, but the magazine feel lips are closer to parallel.

This 740 has always fed hollowpoints, no problem. And flat nosed FMJ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Of all of the guns I own, my 709 has probably had the most rounds through her because she is my beater gun that I keep in my truck, so she gets shot all the time when I go to the range or to a shooting camp. She has fed pretty much everything I've given her, including flat nosed bullets and weird European made JHPs. I am wondering if this is an issue with your magazine maybe, in that it is not presenting the rounds at the proper angle to prevent the front from hitting the feed ramp's base in the frame at too shallow of an angle? First thing is that I'd try it with new magazines. The second thing that I could think of is that your recoil spring is worn and is not putting enough force when closing the slide to overcome any friction caused by the hollow point's "lip". The problem is that Taurus doesn't make the 709 anymore and probably won't be able to sell you parts for it. However, you can find them quite easily on eBay or Numrich for around $40 shipped.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I just checked my 709 and it looks like your feed ramp sits further back (towards the front of the gun) than mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts