Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to venture, once again, into stupid land... and you're all invited.

So I have an unhealthy fascination with the unusual and also with the 357 mag.

While I was looking at the Rossi catalog it hit me that one of their Judge Rifles was unique enough to pique my interest. I love the revolver and I love rifles... and Rossie makes a revolver rifle/shotgun.

So I was thinking... a 357 (9.1mm) shotshell would be right up my ally. And not that Ratshot that CCI makes, I mean like triple ought stuff or something like that. For a second I was excited because of the 9mm Flobert, but then reality set in and realized that it was a rimfire.

In anycase... how hard would it be to make the 357 into a shotshell that could through some buck?

Thanks for entertaining me.

· Registered
19,174 Posts
Well I guess anything is posible....

· Registered
3,762 Posts
Winchester made and marketed a 9MM shotgun in the last century, it is possible that Fiocci loads ammunition. Look in the shotshell section of your handy-dandy Cartridges of the World for more information. You may have an idea that would modernize an old concept.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Here's some reading on the subject:
Remington?s Multi-Ball Ammunition

Google "buckshot .357", interesting stuff.

I have loaded the 000 buck into the 38 special case many times. I have put #4 buck and #1 buck into the speer shot capsules and also loaded the 000 into the case with gas checks under the buck and on top so I could crimp. Just weigh your shot first so you will know what powder load to drop and away you go. it's great fun and fairly accurate also out to about 30 feet. The group size from my 2" snub is usually about 3". I prefer the speer shot capsules because you don't have to lube the buckshot first.
Also the shot penitrates a 2 X 4 stud at about twenty feet to at least half way through the board.
I'm going to load some tomorrow.
I'd be interested to know the group size with a longer barrel. if you load some up, give us a range report.

Attachments

· Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Years ago I read a magazine article where the guy took a 2" Colt Lawman MKIII (at the time not an expensive gun) and had the chamber throats removed, so the chambers were bored straight through.

He then used .357 Maximum brass and had some crazy load with multiple lightweight cast lead wadcutters stacked on top of each other. They were so short they just had one lube groove. No reason you couldn't load round balls.

At 1.605 the empty .357 Maximum case is actually longer than the stated OAL for a loaded cartridge in the .357 Mag (1.59). I can't remember if the Maximum case actually reached the front of the chamber, I don't think it quite did.

If we're going to stupid land I want to drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.