Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put about 170 rounds through my 24/7 last night.
50 rounds of Wolf 230 FMJ
100 rounds of reloads 230 Copper plated
About 15 or so of WWB JHP 230

Accuracy was good for the first time out, not sure I like the straight 8 sights though. I may get a set of 3 dot hi-viz that I saw on Brownells. I was on the paper most of the time but seemed to be shooting low. Not worried about it. The first few range trips with a new pistol, is more about breaking it and function checking it for me. Plus I know that most people shoot low when learning to use these sights.

Recoil was not bad. I had a few 1911s in the past, but this was my first polymer framed .45. Trigger was good, reset was very shot and nice. Might get a rubber slip on grip just to see how I like it on this pistol.

Only problem I had was with the mags. I had about 5 failure to feeds where either the round was stuck nose down in the mag or the round would be wedged nose first into the top of the chamber. So I guess I will be calling Taurus to get 2 new mags. Not the first pistol I had with bad mags out of the box. Doubt it will be the last.

Over all very happy with the gun.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
A good habit to get into with magazines is to thump them on your hand while loading them. This will help to align the rounds properly. This becomes more critical, as the number of rounds loaded increases, especially with the double column ones.
A range safety officer pointed this out to me the first time I used my PT 92.

·
32,706 Posts
Drummin_man627 has the right idea. One can use the palm of the hand to rap the bottom of the mag.

I will admit to only doing this after the mag has been completely loaded though. Strike once or twice,too.

As drummin-man pointed out striking with the hand or palm during loading all or every few rounds should align them properly in the mag.

New magazine springs can be stiff or need some breaking in of their own. Leaving the magazines fully loaded for a few days would work out some of the "kinks" that develop or need tending to.

·
32,706 Posts
As obvious as this may sound, hold the mag in one hand , and then rap the bottom of the magazine with the palm of the other hand. Doesn't have to be real hard for the rap. A sharp quick blow should do the job.
Tapping the mag on a table or other hard object might throw rounds out.

Had a guy at another gun forum who put the magazine on the table and was trying to smack the bottom while it was still on the table. Got that one in a PM at the other forum.

So this had to be said.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good habit to get into with magazines is to thump them on your hand while loading them. This will help to align the rounds properly. This becomes more critical, as the number of rounds loaded increases, especially with the double column ones.
Yep do that all the time. Been doing it for years.

New magazine springs can be stiff or need some breaking in of their own. Leaving the magazines fully loaded for a few days would work out some of the "kinks" that develop or need tending to.
Yep did that too. Loaded both mags and let them sit for over a week.

I'll give them one more range trip. If they still act up I'll give Taurus a call.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took both of the mags a part last night. Both were pretty dirty with some metal flaks and powder. I wiped every thing down. Then used some fine grit sand paper to smooth of any rough edges on the follower. Should be getting to the range this week some time. See how they run.

·
Registered
663 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
A good habit to get into with magazines is to thump them on your hand while loading them. This will help to align the rounds properly.
I find that it's easier to get all 12 rounds in if I thump. I usually thump them on a mouse pad on my desk.

·
32,706 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts