Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By 5inches at 25yds. At 7yds this thing is dead nuts on. I am currently loading 230 gr Rainier FMJ over 4.5 gr of American Select. This load will shoot 2 in groups offhand at 7 yds, but 25 yds opens up to 6 inches. Is this how this gun is supposed to shoot? BTW....I picked this up last week for $440 NIB out the door with Nitesights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my understanding is that the PT1911 sights use the front sight dot as the POI, which is called Dead On Aiming, as opposed to six o'clock, where the target "rests" on top of the sight.

If you were using the second method, it is possible that your gun is shootign where you are aiming, you are just inadvertantly aiming low because you aren't used to the sight picture.

Alternatively, you could be pushing forward in anticipation of the recoil, letting your wrist break downward or just letting the barrel drop. At 7 yards, you wouldn't notice as many mistakes because have got a much bigger margin of error to work with.

I only suggest these solutions because I thought my 1911 shot low too!

Good luck!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't have any statistics but typically what I have personally seen is that newbie shooters (not that you are BidDaddy, just something I have noticed with newbies) is that they tend to shoot low (for the very reasons Renard listed). I definitely agree with AFShooter; let someone else try it out and see where their bullets land; let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Absolutely. I agree with these guys above. My 1911 was only the second handgun I've shot. Although my groupings were decent for a newbie shooter, my gun seemed to shoot 3-5 inches low. I let my father shoot it, and his first shot ripped the X out of the bullseye. After awhile, I just tried to self diagnose. I noticed that if I didn't count my shots and my gun ran dry, I would squeeze the trigger and even though there was nothing to fire, I pushed almost forward and down in anticipation of the recoil. You almost have to let the shot surprise you. Once you get a good picture, try and fire the round and not think about the recoil other than keeping a firm grip on it.

I don't want to imply that I am a pro. I'm a very new and inexperienced shooter, but I noticed some slight improvement when I stopped dropping the barrel in anticipation of the shot. I practiced a lot of dry firing. There is no recoil, so you get better trigger practice I think. When I shoot at the range, I try and shoot as if I am dry firing it -without anticipating for recoil.

·
Registered
846 Posts
As said try the dead on aim, I know this starts allot of disagreements in here most of the time with some but as posted in the other areas on how to shoot these guns this is how you aim these sites on the Taurus, I believe this may very well help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read the Heinie Sight picture posts, they helped me and I hit a 4"x4" swinging target at 56 yrds. Boy, that was cool. My son didn't believe it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Also on these compact pistols there is one thing that may help you it was posted by NYPD and I'm sure other Mods. and Admins. It's the grip of your hand, if you tighten or squeeze with your little finger it will pull the barrel down every time! I've had to watch this myself allot since I've had surgeries on my right hand and have lost allot of feeling in that little finger. I finally got where I just tuck it under grip. Sounds funny for and to some, but works great for me.
This stopped me from pulling shots low at times completely.
This is something that seems more so on the compacts and Mill. Pros I haven't this problem on the 24/7. If you will work on your sight picture and aim point and you grip you will correct your problem !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Greetings folks,

I wanted to point out to you lefty's ( yeah it IS true we are more intelligent and better looking btw <grins>) that the "target" NOok posted needs to be reversed for us.

I ran acrossed that training target at a range in North Carolina and had a brell of a time convincing folks it should be reversed for left handers.

Since we lefty's are the only ones "in our right mind" it makes sense it was so hard to convince folks that day. Naturally it just so happened I was the only left hander there at the time too <shakes head>. Never fails. Finally my uncle called a left handed buddy who lived nearby to come to the range and I was able to prove it.

If you print it out, I beleive photoshop was used to reverse everything on it to proper position for a lefty. My apology on not being sure. The gent they called is the one who did it on his computer. Ironically, from what I understand there was/is only 2 lefty's in that whole dang gun club.

Brizz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts