Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Miami. I found a trigger malfunction and since it is brand new I decided not to try an monkey with it.

It is a weird problem. If I depress the trigger toward the upper half it drops the hammer just fine. No I was not dry firing it. I was holding the hammer as you would if you de-cock the gun and easing it down. Does the same thing with ammo in the gun. If I depress the trigger toward the lower half or often even in the middle, it moves a bit and stops while making a little click noise. My guess, the firing pin block is not unlocking but I am only a shade tree gun smith. Taurus can fix it.

I have not found a single post or article online that has documented this particular problem.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I sincerely hope that they get it back to you, in pristine condition.
Keep us in the loop, on the progress! ;)

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Sorry to hear you are havin a problem. Give a shout when it's back.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
thats the best idea!
I understand that Miami is beautiful this time of the year anyway. as long as it gets out of there by Hurricane season then it should be good.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Its a good thing you have plenty of others in your gun safe to keep you company.

but i have found once i sent 1 of my kids to camp all the rest had to go to

jhp

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I'm with you, just a shade tree mechanic. Sending it off to Miami is the right thing to do. I hope the trip is swift and the repairs are perfect.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
thats the best idea!
I understand that Miami is beautiful this time of the year anyway. as long as it gets out of there by Hurricane season then it should be good.
Who lied to you, this time of year in Miami is horrible, unless you like rain. And you are 2 late Hurricane Season started June 1st.

I am confident they will take care of it, I think sending it back was a smart move.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Who lied to you, this time of year in Miami is horrible, unless you like rain. And you are 2 late Hurricane Season started June 1st.
I am confident they will take care of it, I think sending it back was a smart move.
Actually i thought I got that info from a reliable source!---;D
When i had to sent my 1911 SS in 38 Super to Miami it came back (after 9 weeks)with a extremely great tan (althoguh the thong lines were a bit distrurbing) and had a slight addicition to alcohol and tended to speak quite a bit of broken spanish!----:chug:
all it talks about is South Beach and going back "HOME".
so are you saying my 38 Super lies???-----:bang:

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I think thats the right call. I hope they get it back to you soon!

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Well it's not the high season so the motel bill won't be too high

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I got my gun back today. They did provide a list of parts changed. The firing pin was swapped out. I had suspected it was part of the problem(firing pin block seemed to be hanging up). The extractor and hammer spring were also reported as damaged and replaced. I don't see how they could be damaged on a brand new gun that came straight from the distributor channel but whatever. They also for some odd reason reported that my new for 2013 Bull head wood grips that were on the gun were damaged and they replaced them with some wood NRA grips. I want my bull logo grips that were on the gun when I sent it off. I also discovered that the rear sight was not tight when I went to shoot it. I also have witness marks on the back of the extractor where they hammered it in with some sort of flat edge which looks like a screw driver. I am not happy at the present time. On a positive note, the gun shoots great now.

Figured out why the rear sight was loose. They stripped out the allen socket on the set screw. I can't get it out now without something like an easy out but it will have to be a tiny one. I am hereby officially FIRING Taurus customer service.
This is crap.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Time for a return trip to Miami in my opinion, after a call and a stern but polite discussion with a service rep.
IF you want tool marks on your gun from a repair then you could take it down to Joes garage and let his second cousin work on it in the back room.

Reactions: oso and JHPRICE

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
i would definitely be calling CS, if nothing else, they should be sending you a new set screw, and I would be complaining about the grip
change! The NRA grips are nice looking, but not nearly as nice as the Bullshead, IMO!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Call em straighten them out them bull grips are the best you may be able to put another set screew on top of that one and tighten it down turning the one below till good i uses a 2mm 1inch long allen screw on top of mine ad the red locktight
worked like a charm

but i would call them first

jhp

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Well one thing that i have little tolerance for is something like this!
From the manufacture surely but even from a local gunsmith!
This is totally uncalled for especially from a manufacture repair station, the idea is that the weapon will come back in better shape than when it was sent off, the repaired weapon and its path through the repair is the best testiment of the pride they take in thier brand of weapon and reputation.
OF course things happen but in my opinion no weapon should leave like this, nor before its test fired for function, nothing t'ss a customer off like this or to recieve a non functioning repaired weapon.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am actually afraid to send it back to them at this point with this many things that have been done wrong. I even got the little card that had all the sign off initials including the person who inspected the work. That person would have had to be blind to not see these things or they don't care. I perceive this as don't care.

If they will send me back the right grips I'm not sending it back but I am going to have a conversation with customer service and have a note put into my file on this gun.
These are not the regular bull head grips as you can see below;

I have tried to get the set screw out and it is loose, I did manage to get it a little looser but still the rear sight won't come out. It will slide so far in either direction and then stops. It feels like there is a guide channel in there or perhaps the bottom face of the dove tail curves up on the outside edges? Tthere is something that lets you loosen the screw for adjustment but it keeps the sight from falling out unless you back the screw off further. Am I right about this?

I have a friend who is a certified gun smith that might have a tool that can get the rear sight screw out. He most likely has the screws also. I now trust him more than I trust Taurus. I may decide to just upgrade to some night sights. I will have to live with the marks on the back of the extractor I guess. I also noticed that I can't get the front set screw out either so it is probably wanker'd too but at least the sight is tight.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I have tried to get the set screw out and it is loose, I did manage to get it a little looser but still the rear sight won't come out. It will slide so far in either direction and then stops. It feels like there is a guide channel in there or perhaps the bottom face of the dove tail curves up on the outside edges? Tthere is something that lets you loosen the screw for adjustment but it keeps the sight from falling out unless you back the screw off further. Am I right about this?

I have a friend who is a certified gun smith that might have a tool that can get the rear sight screw out. He most likely has the screws also. I now trust him more than I trust Taurus. I may decide to just upgrade to some night sights. I will have to live with the marks on the back of the extractor I guess. I also noticed that I can't get the front set screw out either so it is probably wanker'd too but at least the sight is tight.
You are correct about the channel that captures the rear sight, it's fairly shallow, so if the sight is sliding back and forth freely, you
shouldn't have to back it out too much further before it will let you slide it off. The front sight screw, at least on the one's I've
had hands on, is usually in there pretty good. The last one I removed completely, took a bit of penetrating oil, two allen wrenches (first
snapped), a bit of heat (careful not to melt the dot), and patience.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
With their warranty, you should send it in and have them fix the sights, front and back, replace the extractor with one that isn't dinged up, and put some new grips on the gun like the ones that it came in with. Call them, be firm in what you want done, and get it taken care of to your satisfaction. They dropped the ball on this one and you should not be left unsatisfied. Nor should you have to pay a smith to fix these problems. Several on here have advised you call them and I sure hope you do. Please let us know if you do call them and how it goes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a clarification on my repair order. The firing pin was not swapped out but they did check it. The specific grips for my gun are not available from Taurus right now. I had the customer rep try and order me a set and they went in on backorder status. It begins to make sense why I have NRA grips on my gun but where did my grips go to? We will never know the truth of this but I have a good guess and my guess would be that they are now on somebody else's gun. So anyways, my gun will be taking another trip to sunny Miami on wednesday. I would not want to be the person with initials I.L. when the repair manager sees the report on my gun. Hopefully I can close out this post on a positive note but it will likely be a while because I told them I don't want it back without the correct grips on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts