Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I’ve shared some photos of some of the projects I’d been working on with my Kimbers. Shared some new grips I put on my Springfields. I don’t think I ever shared that I had been working on rebuilding my collection.

I had sold off a few impulse buys in November and February. I was down to 4. Then I took one of those 4 to the auction house to be auctioned off this August. That bought me down to 3. Between mid-March and yesterday, I had bought 14 new ones. 5 are already at the auction. One given to little brother brought me back down to 8 new ones for a total of 11.

The family pic as of yesterday.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Starting in the first column, these are my hard chrome Metro Arms American Classics, one in 10mm and two in .45. I referred to these as my “Holy Smokers”. The two .45’s are two of the 3 that made the cut from the old collection. These are incredible guns for the money. Normally run $550-$650 when they aren’t in short supply. I had to custom fit the Mammoth grips to these due to the oversized controls but it turned out well.

He’re a closeup of the trio
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Material property

In the middle column, the first 3 are my Springfields, one Garrison in 9mm, one Loaded in .45 and one Garrison in .45. Those I recently shared the grips I put on them, but here’s a shot of the 3 together.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

The last one in the middle column is my S&W SW1911 E-Series. It’s the 3rd one that survived the cut from the original collection. I am unsure if it’ll make the cut this time. It’s the odd man out. I do like it, was experimenting with new grip today, but if I find a good price on a new full size Kimber Stainless Raptor 9mm, it may be on the chopping block.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

In the last column are my Kimbers. Kimber Stainless Raptor II in .45, Stainless II in 10mm, Rapide Dawn in 9mm and a Stainless II in 45.

The Stainless Raptor II in 45, I just got yesterday. It’s a beautiful piece. Solid, unique and well put together. My new favorite of the bunch. The only thing I did to this gun is replace the factory plastic main spring housing with the stainless one from my Stainless II in .45.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

The Kimber Stainless II’s I shared in a different thread. These went through a major facelift. New grips, sanded the matte of the slide flats to a light machined face look, installed new main spring housings with flared magwell ports in order to catch the essence of the Kimber Rapide Dawn also pictured below.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

There will be more to come. Not pictured, I have two stainless Springfield Loaded models in .45, a Springfield Garrison in 9mm, a Kimber Stainless II in 10mm and an RIA BBR 3.10 at the auction house right now. Any of those could come back if the price doesn’t get high enough.

Got a Stainless Raptor II 9mm in my sights and a stainless Colt Competition in 45 on backorder still.

·
Super Moderator
40,918 Posts
I know I’ve shared some photos of some of the projects I’d been working on with my Kimbers. Shared some new grips I put on my Springfields. I don’t think I ever shared that I had been working on rebuilding my collection.

I had sold off a few impulse buys in November and February. I was down to 4. Then I took one of those 4 to the auction house to be auctioned off this August. That bought me down to 3. Between mid-March and yesterday, I had bought 14 new ones. 5 are already at the auction. One given to little brother brought me back down to 8 new ones for a total of 11.

View attachment 489783

Starting in the first column, these are my hard chrome Metro Arms American Classics, one in 10mm and two in .45. I referred to these as my “Holy Smokers”. The two .45’s are two of the 3 that made the cut from the old collection. These are incredible guns for the money. Normally run $550-$650 when they aren’t in short supply. I had to custom fit the Mammoth grips to these due to the oversized controls but it turned out well.

View attachment 489784

In the middle column, the first 3 are my Springfields, one Garrison in 9mm, one Loaded in .45 and one Garrison in .45. Those I recently shared the grips I put on them, but here’s a shot of the 3 together.

View attachment 489785

The last one in the middle column is my S&W SW1911 E-Series. It’s the 3rd one that survived the cut from the original collection. I am unsure if it’ll make the cut this time. It’s the odd man out. I do like it, was experimenting with new grip today, but if I find a good price on a new full size Kimber Stainless Raptor 9mm, it may be on the chopping block.

View attachment 489786

In the last column are my Kimbers. Kimber Stainless Raptor II in .45, Stainless II in 10mm, Rapide Dawn in 9mm and a Stainless II in 45.

The Stainless Raptor II in 45, I just got yesterday. It’s a beautiful piece. Solid, unique and well put together. My new favorite of the bunch. The only thing I did to this gun is replace the factory plastic main spring housing with the stainless one from my Stainless II in .45.
View attachment 489787

The Kimber Stainless II’s I shared in a different thread. These went through a major facelift. New grips, sanded the matte of the slide flats to a light machined face look, installed new main spring housings with flared magwell ports in order to catch the essence of the Kimber Rapide Dawn also pictured below.
View attachment 489790
There will be more to come. Not pictured, I have two stainless Springfield Loaded models in .45, a Springfield Garrison in 9mm, a Kimber Stainless II in 10mm and an RIA BBR 3.10 at the auction house right now. Any of those could come back if the price doesn’t get high enough.

Got a Stainless Raptor II 9mm in my sights and a stainless Colt Competition in 45 on backorder still.
I love the Magwell length stocks and am SHOCKED to read that Kimber would use a plastic MSH. Sweet 1911's, that collection makes my heart beat faster and is inspiring me to buy another.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
That's some nice pistol's you have there!

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Excellent collection. Sadly, I don't own any 1911s... I know, I know... What have I been doing with my life? Well, when it comes to classic semiautomatic pistols, my personal favorite has always been the Walther PPK/S, so that's what I have purchased repeatedly.

I was strongly considering getting either a Smith & Wesson SW1911 or a Ruger SR1911 last year, but ultimately ended up getting an H&K USP45 Elite instead. However, I did purchase a Ruger SR1911 as a gift for my brother, so there's that.

A lot of folks don't dig the red frame, but my brother does, so that's what matters.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I love the Magwell length stocks and am SHOCKED to read that Kimber would use a plastic MSH. Sweet 1911's, that collection makes my heart beat faster and is inspiring me to buy another.
Everybody mentions Kimber, but both my "mil-spec" Series 70 and Series 80 Colts have plastic MSHs too. They're actually more common than you'd think. I have probably a dozen 1911s that way. The plastic on all still looks brand new. None of my firearms take any sort of beating, even my carry guns, so plastic works okay for me. They're cheap to replace if I should ever need to.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Great post and some nice photos too. Thanks for sharing. I have an American Classic in blued-steel. That stainless looks great. I may need to add one. My wife has an E-Series S&W. Great looking 1911 and a good shooter too, but man it's got a stiff recoil spring. Love my Kimbers too.

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
To us 1911 guys that's a fantasy that we only dream of! Wow! What a great post and what a awesome collection! I think I'm just going to stare at them for awhile!
Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent collection. Sadly, I don't own any 1911s... I know, I know... What have I been doing with my life? Well, when it comes to classic semiautomatic pistols, my personal favorite has always been the Walther PPK/S, so that's what I have purchased repeatedly.

I was strongly considering getting either a Smith & Wesson SW1911 or a Ruger SR1911 last year, but ultimately ended up getting an H&K USP45 Elite instead. However, I did purchase a Ruger SR1911 as a gift for my brother, so there's that.

A lot of folks don't dig the red frame, but my brother does, so that's what matters.
I got that SW1911 Enhanced Series I just listed on 3 other forums in the last 30 min. I’ll throw a listing up on here with better pics. If interested, pm me. It’s nice, one I hardly used. Has never malfunctioned on me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Everybody mentions Kimber, but both my "mil-spec" Series 70 and Series 80 Colts have plastic MSHs too. They're actually more common than you'd think. I have probably a dozen 1911s that way. The plastic on all still looks brand new. None of my firearms take any sort of beating, even my carry guns, so plastic works okay for me. They're cheap to replace if I should ever need to.
Surprisingly, the $800 Kimber Stainless II’s have stainless MSHs. The $1400 Raptors and $1600 Rapides have plastic ones. I just swapped the one from my 45 Stainless and stuck it in the Raptor because after installing the magwell MSHs in the Stainless II’s, I had two just laying around.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To us 1911 guys that's a fantasy that we only dream of! Wow! What a great post and what a awesome collection! I think I'm just going to stare at them for awhile!
Thanks!
I do that, sadly, more than I shoot them 😂. I have them displayed in my vault. I go in often just to fondle them 😂
Wood Font Art Metal Artifact

·
Registered
317 Posts
Awhile back, I got into a bidding war for a hard chrome Metro in 38 super ( a caliber I have not filled in my 1911 collection ). I finally bowed out when it reached $900. Haven't seen any since. Kinda wish I'd kept bidding. Nice collection. And yea, let's see the revolvers.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
994 Posts

View attachment 489783

View attachment 489784

View attachment 489785

View attachment 489786

View attachment 489787

View attachment 489790

You sir, have a problem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awhile back, I got into a bidding war for a hard chrome Metro in 38 super ( a caliber I have not filled in my 1911 collection ). I finally bowed out when it reached $900. Haven't seen any since. Kinda wish I'd kept bidding. Nice collection. And yea, let's see the revolvers.
I know where one was earlier today. I can go take a look if you are serious.

·
Registered
37,821 Posts

\MY PET semi auto caliber!
IF you are just trying to fill a blank in the 1911 line up and not to worried about the bling you might tlook at the Citadel brand.
I picked up a Citadel several years back at a very reasonable price (think it was about 500 ) but its a well made , quality weapon, and it not a stripped GI model either.
I also have a polished Stainless Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super but those are long gone and not available now.
I think it was like 450 or so?

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A couple developments in the last two days…

First, I took 26 guns to auction for the August firearms sale, making room for more 1911s. I decided to ditch the polymer altogether. I have a pretty healthy Springfield handgun collection that all went except my 911 and my 1911’s (although I have 3 other Springfield 1911’s that are in the auction). I have a pretty healthy revolver collection already so the transition to all steel/stainless will be an easy one. The only polymer that stayed was the wife’s 380 EZ, the S&W 22 Compact and the Walther P22 I bought for the boys to shoot. I see some CZ/CZ clones in the future.

I eliminated 300 PRC, 308 win, 6.5 Creedmoor and 40 S&W from my arsenal.

Second, little brother and I just had an afternoon of 1911 shooting. He is rebuilding his gun collection too. I bought out all the different models and chamberings that were unique (no duplicates) and let him shoot off whatever he wanted to try. He already has a Loaded 45 so I left it and I left one of the ACIIs inside because I had two in 45.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Vehicle

It was a good time. He hasn’t shot in quite a while so broad side of the barn was the goal 😉. Told him I had the same problem after a few months of sitting on my rump. By the end he was back up to speed.

He didn’t give a ton of feedback but from what he had to say, the VZ grips were a lot more comfortable after I grounded them down but still need a little more off.

He loved the MetroArms 10mm. Which I think is funny because he is always ragging on my cheap chromed 1911. Then I bought two. Then I bought three and the first two after a couple years are still going strong. Now I just bought a 4th. He finally let his guard down and gave it an honest try. I think those grips I put on there pushed him over the top on that one.

Both Kimber Stainless IIs (45 and 10mm) had multiple feed issues. Neither of them have been back to Kimber but if they still have problems next time, they will be making the trip.

He ragged on the 9mm 1911s a little bit until he shot them. He had one of the Citadel Madagascars in 9mm and currently has a Ruger Commander aluminum frame in 9mm. That Garrison 9mm really turned that opinion around. He made note how easy it was to stay on target. I really love those grips I put on it. They are pretty smooth but the gun itself is a pussycat so no need for an aggressive grip.

He went out with several preconceived notions, like all 1911s feel the same… Those notions were all pretty much different when he left. We talked about how just became they are all built on the same 1911 platform, there was a lot different from one to the next, but going from 45 to 9mm was pretty natural.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts