Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone here owns a rifle with a muzzle brake and what your thoughts are on them. I own two rifles that have factory installed muzzle brakes, a Ruger Ranch in .450 Bushmaster and a Browning Western Hunter in .270 Win. I've never shot a .450 Bushmaster without a muzzle brake so I can't really say how much recoil it would have without it. The .270 really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. A decent recoil pad should suffice. Ruger also makes a Number 1 in .450 Bushmaster and that too wears a muzzle brake. Now if you want a muzzle brake and are recoil sensitive sure they make sense, if you're shooting a really heavy recoiling rifle like the .338 Win Mag or a .300 Weatherby Magnum they make sense, but why would Ruger put a muzzle brake on a Number 1 in .450 Bushmaster when their Number 1 in .450 Marlin doesn't have one? For that matter I've never seen a factory .45/70 wearing one either.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not a hunting rifle (here) but back in the day I owned a Yugo SKS 7.62 x 39. I added a muzzle brake which definitely helped with the accuracy of that semi-auto. Looked cool too.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Have owned rifles and handguns with brakes, porting, etc. Got rid of rifles with any type muzzle brake, porting, etc. If the rifle recoil is so bad it needs a brake I'm not interested in shooting it. My days of heavy recoil are over. Muzzle brakes work, but like many things there is a trade off. Gas is diverted to counter act recoil. Depending on how brake is made determines where it is diverted to. For the things I shoot would rather it follows the bullet putting muzzle blast, concussion, etc in front of and away from me. That said I don't shoot 50 BMG rifles, if I had to would want the best shark head on the end of the barrel I could get. Hate ported barrels on handguns or rifles.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Muzzle brakes are not just there to control recoil. They help vent the gases away from from the base of the bullet to reduce tipping. In short, they can allow the bullet flight to stabilize sooner improving long range accuracy.

In sporting shotguns, porting and brakes allow the wad to suddenly decelerate and drop off the shot column sooner making patterns more uniform.

So it's not always about recoil. Suppressors have a similar impact on accuracy.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm convinced that 99% of people use muzzle brakes because they look cool. Well just my opinion but any muzzle brake I've ever used did only a little to mitigate recoil. I just have not found them effective, other than they look cool. What they are good at is making a loud gun even louder and they spew gas and unburned powder in all directions. As you can tell I don't like them. I have settled on linear forward compensators. They throw the mess and the sound forward making for a much nicer shooting experience. They also do help some with recoil and muzzle flip. Even a plain Kak can is better to use I think.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I have a .30-30 Contender pistol with a very effective compensator. Yeah, it's LOUD, so I have to carry my hearing protection while hunting with it, but it's quite effective. Something about the grip angle, I think, but Contenders kick like a mule in heavy recoil calibers otherwise.

I have ONE rifle that came with a muzzle break. It's a surplus Egyptian Hakim semi auto rifle in 8x57 mauser. With the muzzle break, one can empty that 10 round mag on target in light speed. :D The 10.5 lbs don't hurt, either. It sorta reminds me of a BAR. It's HUGE. Don't look like a BAR, but it sure has a cycle rate as fast as one. :D I always liked to take it along on trips to the range just to impress mall ninjas with. One trip with work mates to a range on a day off work, I sat down at a bench. This guy's wife was sitting in the next bench just watching. She had a ball cap on. I fired and it blew the ball cap off her head with all the blast being deflected rearward. :rofl: She wasn't real amused.

Reactions: mingaa and BigBlue

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think of it, I guess what I have on the end of my Romanian AK-47 is somewhat of a muzzle brake. I had always thought of it as more of a flash suppressor, but it is purposely angled to help with muzzle rise.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
MB are a lot better for those shooting them, than anyone standing nearby. I won't stay at the range anymore if someone is using them, a real pain in the ear. I have one on an AR, I don't shoot it while anyone else is at the range. The AR is not as bad as the big bore guns with a MB, but it's still not pleasant.

They do work to reduce felt recoil, but unless you're standing, they kick up too much dust and make too much noise. IME

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
There's a flash hider built into my M4, but not a muzzle brake. A muzzle brake on that pop gun would be ridiculous. :rofl:

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Are you asking about true muzzle breaks or a muzzle device which includes breaks, compensators, flash hiders etc?

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Well, if you're including flash hiders, buddy gave me one for an SKS and I put it on my 16" paratrooper. It really serves no purpose, but I don't shoot that gun much and the flash hider makes it look a little more evil. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have muzzlebreaks on my 450 Bushmaster, 6.5 Creedmoor, my 308 and my 6.5 Grendel. I feel the difference on the Bushmaster. On the others I feel it really helps with the accuracy. The Grendel is already super accurate but with the break it is even more.
Muzzle Breaks 001.JPG

·
Registered
15,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There's a flash hider built into my M4, but not a muzzle brake. A muzzle brake on that pop gun would be ridiculous. :rofl:
I think that would depend on what you'd be using that "pop gun" for....

.....I spent 20 years in the Navy.....and carried an M4 in Afghanistan and Kuwait.....but I have never ever had to draw down on a human target. But, if I was 50 yards away from someone shooting back at me, I'd think I would love to take advantage of the abilities of some of the modern muzzle brakes in order to get back on target sooner.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Marlin 1895G (.45/70)

For long range/precision shooting, it does seem to help. For normal hunting here in Michigan (brushy, shortish range) I don't really see the point. OTOH, I do love hunting with that Marlin.
And yes, it does make them louder for the shooter and for everybody else on the line at a shared range.
Another consideration is that when shooting prone some designs kick up a LOT of dust and dirt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts