Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were headed for Colorado, but the windshield adventure held us up for a few extra days in Amarillo. While we were in the area we took the time to visit the RV Museum located at the Jack Sisemore Traveland Dealership. It is not a overly large museum but did house some very interesting RV items like motorhomes, trailers, and a number of motorcycles. They had a great number of Bultaco motorcycles, more than I had ever seen in my life actually. A far number of HD and an Indian or two. And of course a great amount of history of the RV industry. Well worth the price of admission, which was Free. Oh yeah, they also had the big red and white Flexible Bus used in the Robin Williams movie "RV".
Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum

During our delay the weather changed to the north and neither of us felt like dealing with temps in the teens. So we headed south with no planned destination in mind. With winds blowing in the 30+mph, we made it a short day and found refuge in the dust blowing city of Lubbock, TX.

While in Lubbock we ventured out to see what it had to offer. Being in the middle of no where we didn't expect much. But, now I could easily find myself taking another trip back to explore more of the area. First off, let me say that the people at the Lubbock Harbor Freight Tools are some of the most polite employees of HF that I have ever come across.

First museum stop was of course the Buddy Holly Museum Center. A number of guitars and personal memorabilia to be seen, but over all a small museum when it comes to actual display items. But plenty to ready and learn, and that I did. It was amazing to read about all of the individuals that he performed with and the history along his short life. For you motorcycle people they did have on display the Ariel motorcycle that he purchased along with an interesting story about how he ended up buying the Ariel over a Harley and then the life of the Ariel motorcycle as it exchanged hands after his death before being donated to the museum.

Our second museum to stop at was the "Silent Wings Museum". This is dedicated to the use of gliders in WWII. Now when I think of a glider I think of those smallish non powered gliders that you see being pulled into the air behind a small plane. But, there was a glider division used in WWII that delivered troops, jeeps, and need essentials headed in to battle. The trials, tribulations and triumphs of the gliders was most informative. The museum has a lot of display items from gliders to Jeeps to various arms (large and small) and of course even a motorcycle or two. And a true wealth of information about a segment of the military that I never knew existed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Wings_Museum

I guess it's true, You are never too old to learn. Today brings our path to The National Museum of The Pacific War.

·
21,935 Posts
Great post!

The gliders were a fascinating story. They could get further behind enemy lines silently than was possible by parachute out of a powered aircraft. They could get heavier equipment onto the ground. But not always safely; one of the very few combat deaths of a General officer occurred when a jeep inside a glider shifted and killed the assistant Division Commander of the 101st airborne on D-Day. Brigadier General Don Pratt (yes, I had to look that up). There's a scene early in Saving Private Ryan with a glider in the background.

I bet that's an interesting museum.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I think that you'll love the National Museum of the Pacific War. I've been there several times and always find it interesting. Out the back of the museum there is a good restaurant called "Otto's".

Personally, I like frontier and heritage museums and there is an interesting one at the western end of main. I love to see how the early settlers lived and survived in the early west. They were a special breed of people.

We go down to Fredericksburg a couple of times a year. In fact, we'll heading in that direction sometime in early November. Enjoy. It's a great place.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
I love museums and will tour almost any that I run across...much to my wife's dismay. I'll even stop and read those roadside markers...:)

Reactions: jonrjen and ETF
1 - 4 of 4 Posts