Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
There are going to be some legal liability concerns for ranges that rent guns. Or potential liabilities in the near future, with the political climate like it is. These small businesses - aka shooting ranges - probably want to reduce the risk of that. Also, if a range is the site of of a horrific suicide - or worse yet, a murder/suicide - I could definitely see that keeping new shooters away.

As far as the act of suicide goes, I also have compassion for those who contemplate or commit it. Yes, it is selfish and callous towards the deceased's loved ones, and I have great empathy for them as well, but try to imagine the pain and emptiness that drives a person to do that. My wife has probably talked her best friend out of committing suicide a couple of times. Her friend isn't just a mental case and nothing else, she's also a wonderful person in many ways.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
There are going to be some legal liability concerns for ranges that rent guns. Or potential liabilities in the near future, with the political climate like it is. These small businesses - aka shooting ranges - probably want to reduce the risk of that. Also, if a range is the site of of a horrific suicide - or worse yet, a murder/suicide - I could definitely see that keeping new shooters away.

As far as the act of suicide goes, I also have compassion for those who contemplate or commit it. Yes, it is selfish and callous towards the deceased's loved ones, and I have great empathy for them as well, but try to imagine the pain and emptiness that drives a person to do that. My wife has probably talked her best friend out of committing suicide a couple of times. Her friend isn't just a mental case and nothing else, she's also a wonderful person in many ways.
I agree, it is the ultimate selfish act. I have a good friend and his only kid committed suicide at 18 or 19. There is zero consideration for those left behind. It is only about "me". Whether it is "screw you" to those left behind, or just no thought of them at all, it is pure selfishness.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I agree, it is the ultimate selfish act. I have a good friend and his only kid committed suicide at 18 or 19. There is zero consideration for those left behind. It is only about "me". Whether it is "screw you" to those left behind, or just no thought of them at all, it is pure selfishness.
Boohoo! Your friend must be soooooo devastated. I mean, I can't imagine how selfish a person must be to call a person that was suffering enough to put a gun in their mouth "selfish." That's usually how narcissists work; they conjure up and project all of their actions onto others and play victim or martyr. Your friend is to blame if his ONLY child committed suicide. Way to parent...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Boohoo! Your friend must be soooooo devastated. I mean, I can't imagine how selfish a person must be to call a person that was suffering enough to put a gun in their mouth "selfish." That's usually how narcissists work; they conjure up and project all of their actions onto others and play victim or martyr. Your friend is to blame if his ONLY child committed suicide. Way to parent...
You need to go away, You don't fit in on this forum.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Ouch. I usually "like" anyone who responds to one of my posts, but I don't like anything about this one.

I think my friend and his wife were great parents (but of course I wasn't inside the household). The kid got with the wrong crowd and started making lots of bad choices.

When I was younger, I was naive and thought that all of the problems a kid cause or got in to were the result of bad parenting. I'm no longer naive. We are all at risk of making bad choices, and it is illegitimate to blame our parents.

We all suffer to varying degrees. Putting one's self first at the expense of others is nothing but pure selfishness. I recall another kid that was in my son's class who committed suicide within the first year after H.S. graduation. I don't think his mom was ever the same. Several of his friends went in to tail spins blaming themselves, all because the selfish kid thought only of himself and nothing of his parents and friends.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
400 Posts
Think about that though. How bad must a human be suffering that this is an acceptable option? I've known a couple of people that have committed suicide, and people called them "selfish." No, you are the one that is selfish if you did not reach out and do everything you could to help this person if and when you knew they were struggling. :( We don't have a gun problem in this country; we have a mental health problem.
Yes, point well taken. I just wonder if by making a pact with another person, one isn't creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Feeding off each other as it were.
I do take your point about "selfish". It's a label constantly put on suicide and one I used to use. I guess it takes losing someone close to open one's eyes.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Think about that though. How bad must a human be suffering that this is an acceptable option? I've known a couple of people that have committed suicide, and people called them "selfish." No, you are the one that is selfish if you did not reach out and do everything you could to help this person if and when you knew they were struggling. :( We don't have a gun problem in this country; we have a mental health problem.
I would take issue with you on your description of the problem. What I'd call it is a lack of moral character.

Reactions: rcopu1
21 - 28 of 28 Posts