Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Leatherman Wave since April, 2002. I know that because it was a birthday present from my wife and she had it engraved with the occasion and the date. I carried it every day for 16 years on the job, and it has performed admirably. The hinges and pins, however, have worn and the whole thing is kind of loose. I know Leatherman will rebuild it for me, but I'll just keep it as is and put it out to pasture.

While researching for a replacement, I'm astonished at the number of makes and models available these days. It got me to wondering: What multi tools do you all carry?

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
I have the same as you, the Wave and have had it close to the same amount of time.

I also have the original multi tool, my camping Swiss Army knife that has been in my backpacking survival bag that I got in the mid 90's. As I always have a good pocket knife the Swiss knife never got much use.

The wave has come in very handy so many times I can't imagine not having it.

Like you said there are now so many to choose from it's very difficult to find a good replacement.

As the quality of them varies so much, I would stick with the better made brands like Leatherman, Gerber, and SOG. There may be other great models but those seem to be the leaders.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I've got three Leatherman multis - a Wave that is in my truck, a Rebar that lives in my hunting backpack and a Super Tool that is in my tool bag. I prefer the Wave, but don't carry it because of the weight. Also have a buck multi tool, but have no idea where it is. I can't count the number of times a multi tool has saved the day. Prices for those buggers have really gone up !!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I found a "Stanley" brand multi-tool on the shoulder of the highway about 8 years ago. It was like new then and still is as it seems to me to be just about useless except for the pliers part. I have carrying it in my blue Wally World bag (holds everything from tools to facial tissues to WM bags for shopping) on whatever mobility scooter I am using at the time.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've purchased and tried using a few "cheap" multi tools (looking at you, Wal-Mart). They pinch, bite, scratch, fold, twist, and generally misbehave badly. Prices are going up, but if you are willing to pay for quality, the tool will last longer than many of us posting here.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a Leatherman Wingman and Sidekick. One stays in my work van, the other in the house for odd jobs when I don't feel like walking out to the garage and fishing out the correct tools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the new daily carries I'm considering is a Leatherman Skeletool CX. It has a pocket clip, being able to pocket carry is a consideration.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I bought my Wave nearly 20 years old and the gun shop I bought it in is long gone and the owner recently passed away. It got me home a few times when the motorcycle failed. It's in my truck inside my EDC bag.

Cheap tools are just that, cheap.

Maloy

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I have an original Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool (PST) from the early 1980s. Carried it at work every day for 25 years but don't have need to carry it now. Found a miniature version that's only about half as big for pocket carry.
Leatherman tool 01.jpg

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I have an original Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool (PST) from the early 1980s. Carried it at work every day for 25 years but don't have need to carry it now. Found a miniature version that's only about half as big for pocket carry.
View attachment 446329
I got the same tool.... is on my belt as I write. I have had it since Christmas of 97. It had helped fix or assemble/ disassemble so many things since then. I carry it everywhere!
I also have a Buck multitool in my range bag.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I have a number of the various low quality multitools that vendors hand out at trade shows. But I also have a few Swiss Army Knives in various configurations. One of which is the max-out optioned knife. Thing about 2 inches thick. But you make me think about getting a true high quality multitool. Some have mentioned the Wave? I think I'll research that.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I’ve got two Leathermans - both same model and of late ‘90s-early 2000s manufacture. I keep one in my gunsmith tackle box and one in a belt holster I carry in my truck. I used to wear that thing everyday and including boarding commercial flights back whenyou could do that sort of thing. Then cell phones and cell phone clip/holsters came into being. Mine have basic knife with partially sedated blade, small and medium flathead screwdriver fixtures, a standard smallish Phillips head screwdriver, a medium/fine file surface, a bottle opener and the scissor function. I won’t even think about a brand/model of multi tool if it doesn’t have a scissor function on it.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I carry a Wingman for work. For light work, it's handy enough to get the job don amd saves me a trip back to the truck. It's not the best thing to use but it beats being without any tool at all.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I had a Leatherman PST back when they first hit, but lost track of it somewhere in a dozen or so moves. When I went to replace it I felt like Leatherman had busted the cost/value curve for me for as much as I used it, so now I carry knock-off brands.

One is a Winchester multitool that I was given as a gift (I generally call them McGyver tools), and the other is a Kobalt. They might not be as high-dollar as a Leatherman, but both of them work fine for the purposes I need them for and neither have left me wishing I had a better tool.

One reason I like the Kobalt is that the belt pouch has two compartments and the extra compartment fits my EDC folder perfectly.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have never bought a multi-tool, but I have had many of them. The only ones I held on to were the ones with long nose pliers, the rest I gave away to friends, family, or other soldiers. Most I think were given to me by vendors, or from AUSA conferences, or even by our unit supply. I had a Leatherman with long nose pliers, don't remember the model, but I gave it to my wife, and she has probably lost it, or put it someplace safe and forgot where. The other is a Gerber and resides by my EDC guns and knives. I rarely carry it now, but it did go to Iraq with me, and I sometimes carry it with me to the range or fishing, just in case.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The first multi-tool I purchased was a Gerber 600 probably 17 or 18 years ago. That thing has taken a real beating and still works 100%. The 600 now rides in my hunting backpack and is still my favorite.

Since then I have migrated to Leatherman because of, IMHO, a decrease in the quality of some Gerber products.

I have added a Leatherman Super Tool 300 which is a monster and too heavy for me to carry on my belt, a Leatherman Rev and a Leatherman Sidekick. The Sidekick stays in my arm rest and the Rev goes with me on my belt to the range and on work days.

I also picked up two inexpensive SOG tools somewhere along the way so one stays in my range bag and one is in the wife's car.

Finally I have a Leatherman Squirt P4 which is with me anytime I have pants on.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Many years ago I had a Gerber multi tool. It was different then any other multitool I have ever seen. It had a plier on the end and in case you had to turn the head of a bolt up against a flat surface The plier head would bend 45゚ to the rest of the tool. It allowed you to get a bite on a bolt head and still be able to use the tool efficiently

I lost that tool 20 or 25 years ago and I have been looking for another ever since. Sometimes I think I'm losing my mind because people tell me they never heard of such a tool but I promise I had one and it was great!

If anyone here has heard of a Similar tool or has one and wants to get rid of it please let me know.

Don

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, I bought a replacement for that Leatherman Wave today, but you probably wouldn't guess what I got. I stopped at my local gun store this morning. Inside a glass display case, hiding among the knives he stocks, was an used (but not really*) Leatherman MUT that a customer traded in as part of a gun purchase. Remember, I was originally looking for a smaller, pocket-clip type of multi tool so I could semi-retire my Wave, but the price on the MUT (*which shows absolutely no sign of wear) was just way too good to pass: $100 below current retail.

For that kind of savings, I'm willing to put off the smaller pocket carry multi tool until another day. I'll just have to make this one work for now. ;D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats a nice piece at a hell of a deal. I carry a Leatherman super tool 300 at work or when I'm out on my motorcycle. When I'm just doing chores around the house or running errands around town I keep the Leatherman skeletool clipped to a belt loop. Then there is my Gerber knife that I absolutely abuse and want to replace but it just won't give up.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Well, after some research I bought a Leatherman Wave Plus. I figured at 60 years old I deserve a nice high quality multi-tool and I couldn't wait for Christmas to come around to ask Mrs. Clause for one. Kinda' pricey at $100 but it comes with a leather holster and will be delivered to my front door. (Enablers, I say! Every darn one of ya'!!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts