Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post. Not sure where this should be posted since there is not an 800 section. Anyways, I currently carry the 709 slim. I carry every time I leave home and I love the weapon. Lately though, I have been feeling the need for something with more capacity. I was thinking of moving to an 809 full size and didn't know if anyone else was carrying one concealed? I make custom holsters so I have no problem getting something to make it as comfortable as possible, but just didn't know if carrying a weapon of that size is feasible for concealed carry.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Welcome.

That is a rather large pistol....take a look at Millennium G2 9mm Polymer Grip Sub Compact and decide which might be more practical to carry.

Capacity: 12 +1
Weight: 22 oz.
Barrel Length: 3.2"
Frame: Compact
Action: SA/DA
Front Sight: Fixed
Length: 6.24"

The 809

Capacity: 17 +1
Weight: 30.2 oz
Barrel Length: 4"
Frame: Medium
Action: SA/DA
Length: 8.25

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
24,806 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Welcome to TA.NET from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There are many people that carry nothing but fullsize. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I have an 809 and I love it, its a smooth shooter and accurate as anything, I have a blackhawk serpa holster that I use under a light jacket. I also have the pt111 G2 as mentioned above, its my everyday carry in a desantis softuk.
But in the end if you can carry the 809 comfortably and concealed well, id say go for it!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas. You can probably figure out how to carry the 809 but it might take a couple of tries with your holsters. Summer time is the hardest to conceal a larger pistol.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum! In answer to your question, I do not own an 809, but my PPQ is similar in size. I carry it on occasion, and it conceals just fine. Most of the time though I opt for something with a shorter grip, as that can be what makes a pistol difficult to hide.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome from Dallas, TX!
I have both the 709 and the 809, and love them. However, I carry the 709. Some folks might get away with cc'ing an 809, but my body type makes it a bit difficult to pull off. There is an 809c that is a tad smaller, but I would take the advice given above about other options.

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
Welcome from Texas!
aphdmansoc summed it up. I have an 809 and it's pretty big especially when compared to the 709. I have a fobus owb paddle holster for it and I can conceal with it but I don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all the welcome comments and the advice! I love the features on the 809 full size although I had given some serious consideration to the compact version also. I had looked at the millennium g2 and I also really like it too! just not sure what is the best. Is the advantage gained with the accuracy of the longer barrel on the full size worth the trade off for being harder to conceal?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The biggest variable in the equation is where (as in body position) do you plan to carry? I have both the 709 & 809 plus an Officer sized .45 I alternate in carrying in SOB holsters, all equally concealed with medium weight material. Light shirt/ tee-shirt they all tend to print on my body frame. The 809 would be difficult to CC for me if worn with a IWB holster at any position other than the SOB. BTW I really like all of my EDC guns!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
welcome to the forum from west texas

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you considered the 809C? I have one and the smaller size than the 809 makes for easier carry yet you still have the 13+1 capacity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you say "accuracy", what context are you using it in? I carry a 740, and easily maintain 6" groups from 10 yards. For a CCW, that is more than accurate enough, as you are extremely unlikely to have to engage with a CCW at more than that.

I had an H&K USP 40c prior to my 740. Extremely accurate, durable and reliable gun. However, it was heavy, and a brick, that was not comfortable to conceal at all. I carried it in VA in a Serpa, and didn't try to conceal it. Here in GA, open carry is also legal, but not as common as it was up there. So, I bought a pistol that was easier and vastly more comfortable to conceal, yet is reliable and accurate.

As to mag capacity, again, reality is you should likely only need a couple of shots in a CCW scenario. More ammo = more weight. I carry mine with my spare mag, which gives me 12 rounds on hand. I doubt I'd ever need more than the one mag, but the spare is easy to carry in my pocket. If I have to shoot more than 12, I either need to learn to shoot, or learn to ascertain the scenario better.

At the end of the day, this comes down to personal preference. There are people that believe they need to have an ammo can full of ammo on hand in case they face multiple assailants. Personally, I don't think that's realistic, so I don't plan for it. But, I don't judge the guys who do. It's the lives of you and those around you on the line, so plan for what you think you need, and what you are comfortable carrying. But, as the old adage goes, a .22 on your hip is better than a .45 in your safe. There is a reason companies are making the larger caliber pocket pistols now. Big pistols are hard to conceal, and not comfortable to wear. That's why a lot of people opt for the smaller ones.

Best of luck, however you choose.

Later!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome from Miami. I carry a 709 when dressing light, and an 809c the rest of the time; both conceal easily and both are awesome. I cycle the 809c with a Glock 19 and with a Citadel 1911 compact tactical in .45. But the 709 is a constant, it never leaves my side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts