Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your carry method while riding determine whether it's OC or CC?
Saddle bag - strapped to the tank - hip
Mine tends to be on my hip fully exposed. Now if I were in a car it would be CC. But on a motor bike??

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
While I'm riding I carry mine in my tank bag, when I stop and get off to eat, fuel up or whatever I go back IWB CC

·
21,918 Posts
Concealed is better, as much for accident safety reasons as anything else. Even a minor getoff that you ride away from could do serious damage to an openly carried pistol, or you could lose it entirely. Choose a jacket with a well-positioned pocket, and there you go.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But what I am asking is 'technically' is 'exposed' on the bike considered OC or CC?

In Ohio if I have my gun on my hip while walking down the sidewalk toward my bike, I am OC.
The second I jump on the bike I need a permit to 'transport' my gun. But does that make it CC?

If I were to ride across a border into a state that doesn't allow OC, am I in violation?

·
Registered
615 Posts
But what I am asking is 'technically' is 'exposed' on the bike considered OC or CC?

In Ohio if I have my gun on my hip while walking down the sidewalk toward my bike, I am OC.
The second I jump on the bike I need a permit to 'transport' my gun. But does that make it CC?

If I were to ride across a border into a state that doesn't allow OC, am I in violation?
In Michigan if you are in/on a motor vehicle you must have a CPL. If you have a CPL then it doesn't matter of you open or conceal carry it. If you are stopped while carrying on a motorcylcel I believe you would be charged with CCW.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On most standard motorcycles there is no place to 'hide' a gun other than yourself.
Assume you place your gun IWB in the small of your back with your shirt untucked. Then get on the expressway. There is a good chance the back of your shirt will fly up.

Did you go from CC to OC?
In a state with on OC would a LEO have issue with it?

·
21,918 Posts
The answer to that question is going to vary a lot from state to state. In New Mexico, your vehicle is legally an extension of your home, so you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle with no licenses or any additional paperwork/issues. Now, I've never found out whether that logic treats motorcycles differently from cages.

·
Registered
615 Posts
On most standard motorcycles there is no place to 'hide' a gun other than yourself.
Assume you place your gun IWB in the small of your back with your shirt untucked. Then get on the expressway. There is a good chance the back of your shirt will fly up.

Did you go from CC to OC?
In a state with on OC would a LEO have issue with it?
it doesn't matter, you went from carrying to transport, If you don't have a permit the pistol must be inaccessible and unloaded.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
In Michigan if you are in/on a motor vehicle you must have a CPL. If you have a CPL then it doesn't matter of you open or conceal carry it. If you are stopped while carrying on a motorcylcel I believe you would be charged with CCW.
Also, again just relating to Michigan, since it is considered concealed if you are on a bike you should probably go through with telling the officer that you have your cpl and that you are armed even though everyone can see it. That way you don't end up getting a case based on a technicality.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't think the OP is asking for advice on carry techniques. He's asking if, when you are open carrying, it becomes concealed when you get on your bike. As said before in Michigan it does. That varies from state to state though.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or just stick it in your boot top, but to OC while riding a motorcycle
will panic some people, they think everyone who rides is a 81 member
anyway....
Sorry but I don't think anyone would mistake me for a club type biker.
Honda
Helmet
Polo shirt
gym shoes
No beard
No tats
No belly

But I do seem to strike fear into dogs in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
Whether I am on foot, driving a car, riding my motorcycle or saving the world from Godzilla I will be carrying concealed.
It's always IWB and in exactly the same place. No one ever needs to know I am armed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think the OP is asking for advice on carry techniques. He's asking if, when you are open carrying, it becomes concealed when you get on your bike. As said before in Michigan it does. That varies from state to state though.
Arguable, when you are in on a motor vehicle you are then transporting he fire arm and transport laws take over, if you have a CPL you are golden, if not gun unloaded and not easy to get to.

·
21,918 Posts
if you have a CPL you are golden, if not gun unloaded and not easy to get to.
Again, this varies by state. Here in NM, you don't have to have any sort of permit, just be a legal owner. Then you can have a loaded, ready to go firearm in your vehicle (4 wheeled - less certain about 2 wheeled).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Again, this varies by state. Here in NM, you don't have to have any sort of permit, just be a legal owner. Then you can have a loaded, ready to go firearm in your vehicle (4 wheeled - less certain about 2 wheeled).
I was referring to only Michigan and I believe that is what 91 Whiskey was talking about as well. The bottom line is one must check their own state laws.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,819 Posts
When I'm on the bike, ankle or armpit, depending on the weather, I don't OC when riding whether or not I am actually on the bike. One spotlight at a time is enough.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts