Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY SPEAKS TO DECLINING BIKE SALES

The reasons for the slump in motorcycle sales has finally been discovered.
Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles.
Generation-X is only buying a few and the next generation isn't buying any at all.
A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.
2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.
3. Can't use two hands to eat while driving.
4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.
5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.
6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.
7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.
8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree
in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.
9. They are allergic to fresh air.
10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.
11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.
12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.
13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.
14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.
15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.
16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.
17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.
18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.
19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.
20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.
21. It might scare their therapy dog and then the dog would need therapy.
22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
23. Motorcycles don't have safe spaces, hot cocoa dispensers or a place to put the Teddy Bear.
24. You can't buy a motorcycle with an Access card. (prob'ly oughta' be #1)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Pretty much nailed it, Rickenbacher39.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
23. Motorcycles don't have safe spaces, hot cocoa dispensers or a place to put the Teddy Bear.
All of those are options on the 2020 Goldwing. :D

Just don't buy the California model, it will not work in the following states.

1. Alabama
  2. Kansas
  3. Kentucky
  4. Mississippi
  5. Oklahoma
  6. North Carolina
  7. South Dakota
  8. Tennessee
  9. Texas
  10. South Carolina
  11. Iowa

Maloy

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

1. Alabama
  2. Kansas
  3. Kentucky
  4. Mississippi
  5. Oklahoma
  6. North Carolina
  7. South Dakota
  8. Tennessee
  9. Texas
  10. South Carolina
  11. Iowa

Maloy

Hey hey hey hey...............
I had a 1975 Goldwing. I believe that was the 2nd year they were being produced.
One of the best bikes I ever owned.
Wife and I toured the western states on it and pulled a trailer.
We had so darn much fun.
Then I went back to school, had kids yadda yadda yadda.
I lost my man card and sold it.
But boy, so many happy memories..........:D

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,960 Posts
I’m about ready to give up motorcycles.
I’m getting tired of all the riff-raff.

You know, all them Doctors and Lawyers and such.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts

1. Alabama
  2. Kansas
  3. Kentucky
  4. Mississippi
  5. Oklahoma
  6. North Carolina
  7. South Dakota
  8. Tennessee
  9. Texas
  10. South Carolina
  11. Iowa

Maloy
You forgot Georgia. We don’t even have emission inspections anymore.

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
I've about quit riding and have considered selling the KLR due to physical limitations. I never ride it anymore.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've about quit riding and have considered selling the KLR due to physical limitations. I never ride it anymore.
Well, I know how you feel.
I sold my Harley 4 months ago.
That was a lousy day and I miss it like crazy.
But my legs barely work and my eyes barely see so I figured
I could either kill myself on it or be around to love my wife for a while longer.
I flipped a coin................:p

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
14,960 Posts
This years Dragon photo

3FB2CF55-5FCA-4C6D-8F01-774934650311.jpeg

But my days of riding are numbered, unless I die in the saddle.

Reactions: RScottie

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
I haven't quit but I'm laid-off due to an as of yet unrepaired injury. I've considered selling my 650, I like the bike but that was a plan that just didn't work out. The idea was to have a bike I could ride to the tracks and trails instead of having to trailer everything but I soon discovered I didn't care to ride on the road anymore. The problem with my dirt bikes is that I'd been breaking bones on a somewhat regular basis, sometimes without even crashing. I can't take the beatin' anymore but I can't break the habit of bein' there for it. I've tried to slow down and ride casually but it just can't be done. I'd always assumed that by the time I couldn't take it anymore, it wouldn't matter 'coz I wouldn't be able to do it anymore but that's not how it works. This is my first time at bein' old, there's definitely a learnin' curve to it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The industry needs a movie series like Fast and Furious to advertise bikes to 20 somethings.

·
14,960 Posts
I'd always assumed that by the time I couldn't take it anymore, it wouldn't matter 'coz I wouldn't be able to do it anymore but that's not how it works. This is my first time at bein' old, there's definitely a learnin' curve to it.
I was leading a couple of my buddies on an easy pass through the gap. As I went through corner #2 I was thinking, “I could have taken that faster”. So much for leading an easy pass, my bad.

I am growing old, I just not doing it gracefully.
:rant:

The industry needs a movie series like Fast and Furious to advertise bikes to 20 somethings.
On Any Sunday?

Or

Easy Rider?

Or

The Wild One?

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
I'd raced for about 17 years and though I've had prob'ly more than my fair share of rather serious injuries, I'd never actually broken a bone. When I was 50, I was riding the state forest trails in the usual manner one day and after the third or fourth "damned near bit it" moment, I decided to take it easy and just cruise a bit. I hadn't gone 100 yards, when I dropped into a rut that I normally would've floated right over. My boot caught on the far edge of it, which then pulled my foot under the footpeg, shattering my ankle and breaking my leg.

Two years later, I was riding a different set of trails in the same area that were extremely rocky. About 2 miles into an 11 mile loop, I realized I had a flat rear tire. The trail was one-way so I had to finish the loop and in order to save my rim, I was taking it real easy. I entered a downhill section with a few drop-off type jumps but I figured I could just roll over those. Coming over the first one and at the point of no return, I suddenly realized there was a near vertical drop of about 5-6 feet. It wouldn't have been a big deal a couple years earlier but as my front wheel hit, my right thumb broke at the socket. As the bike was close to vertical, this caused me to lose my grip and sent me over the bars, breaking the same wrist in the process. When I hit the ground, I added a broken left collarbone to the list.

While I had one arm in a cast and the other in a sling, I made up my mind that I was never gonna' ride like that again. I have proven it beyond any doubt, there is nothing more dangerous than caution. When I get on a bike, it's gotta' be wide open or nuthin'...:mellow:...a guy could get killed ridin' slow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
... This is my first time at bein' old, there's definitely a learnin' curve to it.
Oh, my Lord, ain’t that the gods’ own truth!

You know you’re old when an Aprilia 50cc scooter starts looking good to you. “Hey, I could handle that!”

Shoot me now.

Reactions: william and kschilk

·
Registered
840 Posts
I rode a '71 Triumph TR6C for 43 years and had probably 15oK miles on it. Several small accidents but never hit anything or had anything hit me, just slides except for one over the front when my front wheel locked up on gravel turning into my drive(and my worst injuries). but i was 59, had just lost my wife to cancer, had 2 teenagers to raise,and had just slid it due to taking a curve a bit too wide. I had recently done a really good top end rebuild as well as alternator, complete clutch assembly, new rims, and more. but now the original lucas wiring was really bad and needed a complete wiring rebuild. I had also just had a cousin killed on his harley when a kid pulled out in front of him. I found a british collector in Miami who paid a fair price for it(all serious parts were still original) and would restore it. Still more than doubled the price i paid for it. I remember the good times fondly but had to realize those days (and those traffic conditions) were over, at least for me and got out of biking undamaged.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With my car I've got comfort, safety, and capacity. I went through four bikes before someone I knew got killed on one, and I kind of lost interest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts