Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Should There Be A National (Mandatory) Helmet Law?

• Yes

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 61 84.7%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's now motorcycling season in the upper Midwest (at least this week anyway), so I want to pose a question(s) that several friends and myself have bandied about. First, do you wear a helmet? Please state your reasons, why or why not. Second and most importantly, would you favor or disfavor a national mandatory helmet law?

I personally wear a helmet, because an accident or two have proven their worth to me. Also, seeing motorcycling accidents as a LEO drove the point home in a dramatic way. To me, wearing a helmet is just liking wearing a bullet proof vest. Both are designed to save my life, even if the likelihood of being shot or even crashing for that matter are reasonably remote. I wouldn't go out into the field without a vest, I wouldn't ride without a helmet. ANd yes, I do favor a national helmet law.

·
Registered
231 Posts
First off, I do not ride, used to. There were quite a few motorcycle accidents here last year and all the motorcyclists wanted stiffer penalties for those in vehicles involved in motorcylce/vehicle accidents when it was the vehicles fault. I think it was about even on the fault of most accidents. If you want stiffer penalties, then I agree you need to where a helmet and be required to wear blaze orange or the green color like construction workers. It is my choice what type of transportation I use and it is your choice as well. I realize there are many idiots out there on both sides motorcycles and vehicles and everyone makes mistakes or uses bad judgement when riding/driving. I know there is a chance I will be involved in an accident while driving, so if I have to choose, I will go with my vehicle.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Everyone knows if you go down on a bike without a helmet you're in trouble. To me that doesn't mean we should mandate them. Like I said, everybody knows the risk and if they choose to take it - it's on them. The exception being minors - they should be required to wear them. And IIRC in Ohio they are. I ride with a helmet most of the time, but sometimes I like to feel the wind in my hair, er, my scalp I mean. If I get hurt as a result I promise I won't go to anyone else for their assistance - and in return I expect them to keep their noses out of my business. Too many people in this country sticking their noses in everyone else's business. This is supposed to be the land of the free, and to me that means free to make your own choices and deal with the consequences yourself. As far as cages are concerned - I stay the hell away from them. When you're on two wheels they're ALL out to get you.

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
I voted no. I don't ride a motorcycle but do ride a bicycle and will always wear a helmet whether it's hot or I'm just going down the block to check on a tuneup or modification. It's just common sense and wearing a helmet is a lot less uncomfortable than brain surgery. While the speed of the bicycle isn't near the same of a motorcycle (except when I'm bombing downhill) the bicycle rider sits much higher than their motorized counterpart which also results in catastrophic brain injury. I had a neighbor fall off and strike his head, he died later that day. I am always struck by the families that I see out riding bicycles. They will insist that their children wear helmets and then they go bareheaded. I keep wanting to ask them who will raise those kids after they're brain damaged or dead.

Helmet laws, if desired, should be a state function. The federal government already has it's dirty little fingers in too much of our business. It is a personal choice as it is the rider or passenger's own personal safety that is involved. One can make an argument for seat belts say, as not wearing a belt can allow a driver to leave the "control area" of the vehicle and thus increase the chance of injury to others if they lessen their opportunity to try and influence the direction and speed of that vehicle. That scenario doesn't exist with motorcycles. A helmet's sole purpose is to mitigate injury to the riders.

It most probably should be handled by private companies like the insurance folks who could either raise rates or deny benefits if their customer declined to take proper care to prevent injury.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
There shouldn't be helmet laws anywhere at all in my opinion. Since it seems that it absolutely has to be that way I'd rather leave it up to local or state governments.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I know that the smart thing to do is wear a helmet. But I don't like the Government to set laws that effect everyones rights. There are arguments on both sides that make sense. The more we allow Big Brother to tell us what to do we get Pink Slime feed to our child for lunch. As well as us. If you think chicken Nuggets are bad you have to research this.

'Pink slime' is good for America's schoolchildren, manufacturers claim | Fox News

Reactions: ACE35

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been riding for the past 12 years and I am a big fan of my helmet. I used to live in Southern California and I went on a lengthy ride with a group of friends over to Arizona. As soon as we crossed in to Arizona the whole group pulled off the highway, put their helmets in the bags and rode on. I pulled my helmet off as well and rode for just a few miles and had to stop and put mine back on. I just didn't feel right riding without a helmet! The only times I have been down on bikes was either at very low speeds (parking lot maneuvers) or in an off-road situation. The low speed drops have no influence on my standpoint. Higher speed downs can be fatal and while a helmet is only minimal protection, it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have been riding for the past 12 years and I am a big fan of my helmet. I used to live in Southern California and I went on a lengthy ride with a group of friends over to Arizona. As soon as we crossed in to Arizona the whole group pulled off the highway, put their helmets in the bags and rode on. I pulled my helmet off as well and rode for just a few miles and had to stop and put mine back on. I just didn't feel right riding without a helmet! The only times I have been down on bikes was either at very low speeds (parking lot maneuvers) or in an off-road situation. The low speed drops have no influence on my standpoint. Higher speed downs can be fatal and while a helmet is only minimal protection, it is better than nothing.
I don't think we're debating the value of wearing helmets. If that was the case I think the poll would be overwhelmingly in the yes column. The question pertains to whether it would be a good idea for the federal government to come in and say that everybody has to wear them no matter what state you're in.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have been riding on the street since 1973. There are 4 motorcycles in the garage right now and the wife and I are going for a ride tomorrow in the North Georgia mountains, so yes I ride. I think it should be my choice to wear a helmet or not. The government is way too involved in my perosnal life as it is, where does it stop? I just moved from Florida, a non helmet state to Georgia which requires a helmet. I wear one because I have to, I live a few miles from South Carolina which is a non helmet state as soon as I cross the state line the helmet comes off. When I lived in Florida I wore a helmet sometimes, but not all the time, I like the freedom of deciding myself. Life is all about chances, you have to live enough to enjoy it!

Will

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
I always wear a helmet. Well, occasionally if I'm riding the 50cc down to the mailbox I don't - but it feels funny.
But it's not a federal matter. It should be left up to the states.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I used to ride but physical & vision changes have convinced me I'm better off in a steel cage on the road. When I did ride I always wore a helmet, just what I felt was in my best interest. However, I believe in the individuals right to decide what is best for them. If that means no helmet then require insurance to cover catastrophic injuries sustained from the choice of not wearing a helmet. I can see and do agree with the provision for requiring minors to wear a helmet as they aren't mature enough to be so foolish on their own.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
No, do not make it a mandate.

Stupid should hurt. Riding without protection is stupid.
JMHO
My feelings exactly Three Percent!

You cant regulate stupid.

If someone chooses to not wear a helmet and gets killed or paralyzed.. well those are the consequences of their choices.. they did it to themselves. This nation needs to learn personal responsibility!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I would not dream of riding without a helmet but do not think there should be a National Helmet law. First I think it should be up to the states to decide and second anyone that chooses to not wear a helmet should have to be over 21, have full coverage insurance, health insurance, have to sign up for organ donation and passengers still have to wear.

In Kentucky the law was written to include a helmet exemption sticker to show that riders had conformed to those standards, of course the riders association sued and it was overturned, so now riders are not required to wear a helmet but car drivers have to wear a seat belt!!

In the end I still would vote for no requirement for a helmet, I would just add that if you are hurt and you do not have insurance or a way to pay we let you suffer and die. Of course that is how I would treat anyone without insurance or the ability to pay. Yes I am callus, my paramedic wife reminds me everyday!

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
I do not give a rats butt if you wear a helmet or not! If when you come off the bike and wish to spread your brains across the road that is fine by me. HOWEVER! I do not wish my insurance premiums to go up at my insurance co or the hospital to cover your insurance. Just the same as you do not wish yours to go up when I do not wear a seat belt !

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
I've been thinking...
I am in favor of S. 2188, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act. Strongly in favor.
So can I reconcile my being in favor of that usurpation of States Rights in the name of interstate commerce with opposition to a national helmet law?
OK, one is the feds stepping in to protecting a right, the other is the feds stepping in to mandate behavior, but it still should take a bit of thought...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My feelings exactly Three Percent!

You cant regulate stupid.

If someone chooses to not wear a helmet and gets killed or paralyzed.. well those are the consequences of their choices.. they did it to themselves. This nation needs to learn personal responsibility!
It seems that ^^^ has been the subject of just about every conversation I have had today.

Not a lot different than seat belts.
I don't go unless I am buckled. The belt has saved my behind a few times.
It feels like I am naked without it.

I fully support individual (adult age) choice in whether or not to buckle up.
The responsibility must be there, though.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I voted no. You cannot legislate common sense. I'd wear one, just as I would and do, a seat belt. I've seen stuff.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts