Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What is/are the absolute gotta have characteristics when considering holster purchase

• Price

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Time required to draw and get on target

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Covers trigger guard

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • Expense

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Ammo carry option (like those nylons with a pouch up front to carry an extra mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firearm retention

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • Customization potential (ability to adjust cant and height of grip of carry weapon)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Advertising/word of mouth recommendation

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Ready availability (in stock for online vendors; on the shelf at the store)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Composition - eg., kydex; leather (cowhide or horsehide), etc

Votes: 12 22.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I kinda wanted to do a follow up on a post I made on another thread regarding the important characteristics of a carry holster but, due to the logistics of how this site works and how to ask the questions I would be interested in discussing answers to (and engaging healthy debate) I decided to try it this way.

Whether you OC or CC, what do you think is/are the most important characteristics or qualities in a carry holster. There are a lot of very nice holsters out there nowadays and you can even get custom "holster smiths" build you whatever you might like. But, based on the features and characteristics of holsters currently on the market, and which almost all of us here utilize, and would like your feedback on what you think are most important one or two features you consider most important.

I was gonna make it tougher and allow just one pick per person but knew that would be cruel and inhuman punishment ;D

I remember taking tests like this over the years where EVERY option was correct but was compelled to give only one answer and those drove me bat silly!!

And, if you don't mind, can you try to limit to two picks? Cannot set up the poll with a max selection lockout - only a listing of up to 10 options. So, you're on your honor.

Reactions: nut016

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Fast draw (meh), ammo carry (use separate mag carrier) and availability mean little to me (I'll wait within reason if price is reasonable) - word of mouth recommendations has some importance from one I trust - so I didn't vote for any of these.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey, thats your opinion and thats what I'm after - so, thanks.

I chose enclosure of trigger guard and firearm retention. The retention thing is mostly an OC thing although many IWB holsters don't utilize a retention mechanism. When I first started IWB CCing I had to make a bathroom run and, well, to keep it clean, my PT140 fell outta the holster and skidded on the stall floor; fortunately, it did stay in my stall! And, b/c of that experience I now make it a point to remove it and place it on a level surface before beginning, well . . . , ummm, . . . well, my bidniz!

Anyway, all my OC holsters have active retention mechanisms - either a thumb snap strap on nylon or index finger lever on the Serpas et al. None of my IWB have anything even remotely resembling that; and, yes, I say that cautiously as I do know that a lot of the Uncle Mike (and clones) type nylon holsters do accommodate a steel clip which can facilitate the wearing it IWB or OC.

Well, back to the thread and poll.

Thanks.

And, I am going to ask for maximum of 2 responses per person but will be on scouts honor as no way to wet up the poll to lock out multiple options - only can specify how many options you can list.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You forgot the most important thing. Comfort!!

You wont carry if it is not comfortable.
There were several options I couldn't list as you are only allowed a maximum of 10 options to list. And, yes, comfort is important and, please, anyone who wants to comment on comfort, please use the post replies to do so.

Thanks!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
Weapon fitment, desired carry position and I've got a box full that looked like they might work. It usually takes several days to make an immediate determination and some lasted almost a month before they lost favor. Right now I am vacillating between a walmart special(owb) and a "Bass Pro"(redhead iwb ambi) special. The 709 has a laser which causes a fitment problem. Both padded nylon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Carrying a gun is supposed to comforting, not comfortable. I choose to take the discomfort.

I look at how much clearance there is for the middle finger of my shooting hand. In other words, is there enough room between the holster and the front strap of the grip for me to get the middle joint of the middle finger of my shooting hand where it needs to be so I can obtain the proper grip on the gun before I ever start to draw. Some guns I have sat too low in a given holster for that to happen. That was when they went into the box in the back of the wardrobe and I bought something else because that joint of my middle finger is one of the index points I use when I draw. Another thing I am really picky about is the cant of the holster as worn. A straight hang or zero cant holster on a belt angled at 15 degrees because it's tucked under your dunlap isn't a 'straight hang' holster any more. If the angle's wrong, it makes it harder for me to get the right grip on the gun to begin with.

I'm slow of hand and foot and I know it, so I am not worried about a 'fast draw'. What I'm worried about is making sure I don't waste any motion because I'm slow enough without any handicap. I also don't have a great deal of natural dexterity. Never have, never will. Heck, I was the kid picked last on the playground- unless they decided to get it over with first, then I was picked first. That's why I had to work so hard to get decent with a handgun. Since I was doing all of this before there was a Utube, I had to break each motion down to it's component movements and practice- a lot- to work my way up to being a true middle of the pack shooter. No really, I shot a small month match once where 7 people showed up- I finished 4th. If that's not middle of the pack, I don't know what is. Along the way, I figured out what works for me and what doesn't.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
A holster is a system of many combined functions. Two important ones ARE surfacing. Most of the others are personal preference - IMHO.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Firearm Retention is #1 and comfort #2. I only have custom made holsters for those reasons. Refer to avatar.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I kinda wanted to do a follow up on a post I made on another thread regarding the important characteristics of a carry holster but, due to the logistics of how this site works and how to ask the questions I would be interested in discussing answers to (and engaging healthy debate) I decided to try it this way.

Whether you OC or CC, what do you think is/are the most important characteristics or qualities in a carry holster. There are a lot of very nice holsters out there nowadays and you can even get custom "holster smiths" build you whatever you might like. But, based on the features and characteristics of holsters currently on the market, and which almost all of us here utilize, and would like your feedback on what you think are most important one or two features you consider most important.

I was gonna make it tougher and allow just one pick per person but knew that would be cruel and inhuman punishment ;D

I remember taking tests like this over the years where EVERY option was correct but was compelled to give only one answer and those drove me bat silly!!

And, if you don't mind, can you try to limit to two picks? Cannot set up the poll with a max selection lockout - only a listing of up to 10 options. So, you're on your honor.
Sorry I picked three, I missed the part about just two! :D :D To go along with your school days test theme I guess like most boys I just got bigger and never grew up! :D :D even back in school I rarely read the directions first. :D :D (and yes it got me in trouble then too! :D )

Trigger Guard, Price, and Availability.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Comfort.

Aren't price and expense the same thing in this case??

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Comfort, durability, retention, ease of access, and cost. Cost can be negligable, because what everyones willing to pay can vary. But the first four items are most important to me at least.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I picked Covers Trigger Guard & Retention before I saw the results. Seems many others picked these two also, both of which fall under the firearm SAFETY category. Glad to see many others are of the same mindset!

If we can't safely carry a firearm (to ourselves and others) then the other points don't mean squat. Might as well just stuff it inside the pants and if ever needed, hope I (we) don't shoot the family jewels or some bystander.

Sorry to be blunt...JMHO

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Comfort.

Aren't price and expense the same thing in this case??
Hey, you're right btleslie!!! Dammit, I was wondering why I didn't have room for all 10 options I wanted to list - I wrote out 10 options but when I went to transfer the list to the poll, I accidentally listed that one twice. I forget what my 10th option I originally picked but comfort might have been it.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Of the available choices I chose retention. Don't need my pistol bouncing out as I'm traveling through the woods on my horse or in many other scenarios where that could happen.

For me the hardest part of finding a suitable holster is finding one that will protect the gun from dirt and damage along with all the other considerations .

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I chose Time Required to Draw and Retention. I figured Covered Trigger was a given. The two I chose go along with one another, because a holster with too much retention makes the draw slow and difficult. I want to be sure that I can draw my gun quickly and smoothly if I ever need it, and I want to be sure the gun isn't going anywhere no matter what I'm doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts